• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root & LG730ZV8 Prompting

deansouth8

Jun 11, 2011
I have had my phone for some time and I'm at LG730ZV5. I'm being annoyingly prompted to install LG730ZV8. Pardon my ignorance but can anyone confirm that if I install LG730ZV8 I will have lost my root access?

Somehow I have managed to dodge LG730ZV6 & 7 but, that is inconsequential to the question. Needless to say it's prompting now and I wish to maintain root or re-root shortly thereafter. You dig? :)

PS.. Google says "Your search - LG730ZV8 - did not match any documents." :(

Reactions: djonik7771
Had 'Android Root Toolkit' installed from the app store for a while. Noticed that there is an option for 'Root Save/Restore' that supposedly allows you to save root. Then restore root after returning to the app after root is lost. Reinstall of the app after update may be required from what I read.

Anyone have experience with this?

Upvote 0
I'll be goggling now but, any surefire method to remove the prompting/block/prevent the update?

If i lose access to my host file I'm going to be sour grapes.

Put together some info from a few threads. Hope it works and donno yet if it breaks anything.

Used Android Root Toolkit to freeze the following...

LG MLT (supposedly LG remote spyware and excessive logging including GPS) Privacy is no more..... Bastards. :ridinghorse:
LG INSTALL SERVICE
LGSYSTEMSERVER
LG HIDDEN MENU
COM.LGE.DEFAULTACCOUNT
COM.LGE.LGDRM.PERMISSION

Then used ROM Toolbox Lite to get into it's App Manager and managed Google Services Framework. Force stopped the service and clear data.

Looks like it worked but, don't know if I broken anything. Like PRL updates. We'll see I guess.

Upvote 0
Had 'Android Root Toolkit' installed from the app store for a while. Noticed that there is an option for 'Root Save/Restore' that supposedly allows you to save root. Then restore root after returning to the app after root is lost. Reinstall of the app after update may be required from what I read.

Anyone have experience with this?

Can someone take the grenade on this? Likecookies said it would be sweet. :star:

Upvote 0
Put together some info from a few threads. Hope it works and donno yet if it breaks anything.

Used Android Root Toolkit to freeze the following...

LG MLT (supposedly LG remote spyware and excessive logging including GPS) Privacy is no more..... Bastards. :ridinghorse:
LG INSTALL SERVICE
LGSYSTEMSERVER
LG HIDDEN MENU
COM.LGE.DEFAULTACCOUNT
COM.LGE.LGDRM.PERMISSION

Then used ROM Toolbox Lite to get into it's App Manager and managed Google Services Framework. Force stopped the service and clear data.

Looks like it worked but, don't know if I broken anything. Like PRL updates. We'll see I guess.

Just froze the apps listed above, still updates prl and profile. it says it still updates firmware but i'm still at 05 without the 08 update.

Upvote 0
Before you accept the update and if your are rooted now download from the play store ota rootkeeper it worked for my gf phone I downloaded her jb update and she is still rooted and wifi tether in adhoc mode works and she is fully rooted

I just unfroze everything and started the update. I have a root backup with 'Android Root Toolkit' and OTA Rootkeeper. Um... It rebooted into recovery and got some errors with not finding the update on cache or sdcard. It didnt look like it did anything but, keeps going into recovery and unable to select anything. Every time I do it just shows the stupid green android spinning and does nothing. Any ideas? Never mind... Found the enter button. Bottom right panel.... More to come.......

Upvote 0
Got tired of download over and over and failing. Before I let it reboot again I copied the update from the cache directory to my sdcard folder. Renamed the crazy named updatesomthing5toupdatesomthing8.zip to something like update.zip. Rebooted into recovery and applied from sdcard. Now I see it's throwing some error about p1SOne.apk (Result 7) or something like that.

I vaguely recall removing the main Google+ apk as root from my system/app directory. Realized it must be looking for it or something. I downloaded a system dump from the thread here called [DEV] Need system dump and copied over the Google Plus apk inside it to the /system/apps.

Tried the update I renamed and viola.Rebooted and it says Android is updating and it's optimizing a total of 64 apps.

Restored root with Android Root Toolkit and ran fix permission for no good reason and rebooted. :):):):):):):)

Upvote 0
Download the system dump i talked about. Compare each file name in the /system/app folder with the one on your phone. Make sure the permissions on each file in /system/app are rr-r--r--. I was missing a stock app and i knew it because i deleted it. You could be missing something else. You could get a hint to what you are missing from information surrounding the error. I used Google to determine what app i deleted based on the error and replaced with the file in the dump.

Upvote 0
I'll see to it now,.... Although I did not delete any system app come to think of it.
I will reply the results soon.
----------------------------------------------------------
I downloaded the one from closter .

I also sent a report to LG about this, they said all I might need todo is restore(Reset) my phone. Which I think is the wrong solution.
----------------------------------------------------------
I did everything, Ima retry the update.zip

It didnt work, still got:
"assert failed:apply_system_check("/system/bin/app_process", bunch of stuff") E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 7) Installation Aborted.

>:[

All I think is that I need a new: package.zip & app_process file(s)?

Upvote 0
Sorry. I don't have a /tmp folder off root. Essentially I have nothing to compare with. So in other words I'm talking out my butt. Know that moving forward with me. Hmmm donno how much you care about your phone but, if I were you, and I ain't but, if I were' I would contemplate deleting the tmp folder or the contents and try again. Again I really don't know and cant recommend. Sry

Upvote 0
Okay, I searched the thread & couldn't locate a solid answer so could someone please tell me how to stop the update notification? I don't want to update to JB, and the notification is annoying lol. Thanx in advance

I've tried disabling a bunch of services, but had no luck. What appears to have worked is to use Root Explorer (or any other file browser) and delete the update file. It should be within the CACHE/FOTA folder and is ~350mb. Once the file is deleted, go to the upgrade prompt and hit the upgrade button. It will fail since the file is missing and I haven't gotten another prompt (~48 hrs so far).

EDIT: Unfortunately this method is not permanent. My phone started to re-download the update a week later. I'm going to try another method and will report back if successful.

Reactions: dirtyredz
Upvote 0
Confirmed - this will stop the OTA update:

1. Download FOTAKill.apk* and copy to your Phone/SD
2. Use a root explorer (such as ES Explorer) to copy the file to /system/app
3. If the update already downloaded, use your root explorer to delete it from /cache
4. reboot

If the update notice is still in the notification bar after the reboot, simply swipe it away. That should be the last time you are ever prompted to update via OTA. Even if you manually go to system update and click check now it will no longer offer you the OTA. You can simply delete the apk from /system/app to reverse this mod.

Attachments

• FOTAKill.apk
    22.5 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: deansouth8
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones