Root, mess around, flash 2.1, still recieve OTA?

Last Updated:

1. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have kind of a speculative question. Say I were to root, enjoy all of it and more, mess around for a while, then flash back to a 2.1 sbf, would I be able to get the 2.2 OTA update if I mine phone has already received the OTA update and I am running 2.2?

So, in steps:

1. Root
    2. Install ROMs and themes galore
    3. Flash back to 2.1
    4. Check system update to see if I can download 2.2 OTA
    5. Will it work?
    Just a curiosity question more than anything. If you don't have an answer for this other than, "just stay rooted, you won't want to go back," please refrain from answering.

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Those steps sound logical. What's your reason for reverting back to stock though? I promise you'll love your phone even more once it's themed to your liking and overclocked. Whenever I look at my fiance's phone which is on 2.2 but not rooted I always say how boring and slow it is.

3. jdsingle

Oh I am sure I will like it. The gf wants to try out a few ROMs but she wants to be able to go back to stock in case she has to take it to Verizon and I was just wondering if anyone has done this method and it worked.

4. MaxPacker

MaxPacker Well-Known Member

I believe that if you do indeed flash back to 2.1, you'll again receive the OTA. Even if you don't, though, you can just flash 2.2 stock, which exists as a ROM.

If past experience means anything, I'd say that if you flash 2.1, all you'd have to do is go into settings and check for a system update.

Take it from someone who has a gf who didn't want me to touch her phone, she's way happier with a custom ROM now.

5. jdsingle

It does work. I tried it a couple of times just to play around.

6. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Same here...back to 2.1 = receive OTA update.