Root N1

Last Updated:

1. DVNO

DVNO Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So this is a total noob question. I have a tmobile n1 w the ota froyo. I have been curious with the whole root and flash rom thing idea. My question is it worth it? Does the phone get that much faster with a custom rom? I think my n1 is pretty snappy right now but would obviously love it if it were faster! Sorry for the juvenile question, i just dont know much about rooting and i havent seem much about rooting a nexus that has froyo. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Rooting isn't all about speed. It's about many MANY other things.

Rooting an Android device will allow you to have access equal to Administrator right to the underlying OS. It's called ROOTing because the base OS is a version of Linux and Linux/UNIX systems call the Admin level access ROOT.

Advantages to rooting:

1. You get full OS level access to the device.
    2. This allows you to:
    a. Apply custom Themes (most of the files modded for custom themes are protected and require root access to modify/replace)
    b. Run applications with elevated permissions so you can do things with your device you normally would not be able to do (pre-Froyo, you had to buy an app for tethering or root your phone to run the free ones (as an example)).
    c. Update system files with custom ones that have been tweaked for various reasons (example: install a custom Kernel that will allow you to overclock the CPU for faster performance).
    d. Install custom ROM's that have apps that you cannot uninstall removed for more space, or added features for more customization allowanced.

Disadvantages:

1. For N1 (and most other devices) it voids your warranty
    2. Not all ROM's are equal, so sometimes you get buggy ROM's (this happens to regular stock ROM's too), however, Custom ROM's can be more prone to bugs as things are tweaked by the Dev, but all in all, most dev's out there are pretty good and support their ROM's well.
    3. Flashing custom ROM's allows you to try various things, but you will find that you flash your device a lot.

I would research and really dig into sites like XDA-Developers.com and read read read. If there is a look/feel you LOVE and want to flash a ROM, then by all means ROOT! If you are happy with Stock, then stay stock.

Just be sure to ALWAYS keep ONE thing in mind:

FOLLOW THE ROM DEV'S FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS!!! They know what's going on and if you stick to the basics, it'll be hard to brick your phone. Just know there is always that possibility.

Hope this helps.

DVNO likes this.
  3. tardman91

tardman91 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about rooting my Nexus One when it arrives, but I'm concerned about bricking the phone. I'm really familiar with unlocking and jailbreaking iPhones, and it's next to impossible to brick one of them. Is it really that easy to brick an Android phone or screw it up to an irreparable state?

4. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

No. It is very difficult to brick a nexus one as well...the only time that you would really need to worry about bricking the phone is when flashing a new radio image, and even then, as long as you make sure that your battery is charged and that the process is not interrupted, then there's nothing to worry about.

5. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Na, I have been flashing stuff for 6 months now and never had a real problem with bricking or potentially bricking the phone.

Just be careful when applying radio updates (which you shouldn't need to as you will more than likely have the Froyo radio)....

6. skytechnetwork.com

skytechnetwork.com Active Member

I have a question that if I rooted my Nexus One, can I unroot it ?

7. Espike

Espike Well-Known Member

Yes, you can "unroot" (why you would want to however, is beyond me). What you cannot do is relock your bootloader which is part of the rooting process unless you go with one of the new root w/o unlock methods. Check this one out and see if it'll work for you.

Root N1 WITHOUT Unlocking Bootloader!

8. techdaring

techdaring Well-Known Member

I have something want to ask that if I rooted my Nexus One for now, can I unroot it ?

9. Espike

Espike Well-Known Member

Wow, nevermind...

Yes sir/maam you can. Please see the post directly above yours.

10. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

Sharing your feelings Espike :D