[Root] Non-destructive Root Method (Brought to us by XDA Forums)

Last Updated:

1. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

I am not liable for damages cause by a failure to follow instructions. Proceed at your own risk

To do this you must be in Download mode. To get there, power down then do the following: hold vol down, then insert USB plug while attached to a PC (needs Windows)

In order for this root method to work you MUST read each step carefully and follow them to a T. Failure to do so may brick your device.

Once CWM (CWR) is installed, proceed to the next step.

Advertisement
  2. Motorhead1991

Here's the root method used via CWM.
  3. Motorhead1991

These odin files are used in case you've deleted an important app and didn't back your system up, or just to restore pure stock:

4. precglide

precglide Member

I'm having a little trouble rooting with this method. The Clockwork recovery link in the first post doesn't work and when I look in other posts at the Clockwork recovery file in the Odin method instructions, it is an img file and not a tar file. How can I flash Clockwork recovery (before rooting) from Odin using an image file?
  5. Motorhead1991

Let me talk with KemoNine, that is his mirror. You can also read over the super thread and find other links.
  6. precglide

precglide Member

Am I supposed to be looking for a Clockwork Recovery tar file? If so, I have scoured all the Rugby Smart posts in all of the forums that I could find and everything is img. But maybe I missed it somewhere.

Could I flash the stock, non-bloated with CWM rom without being rooted and if so, would it wipe all of my data? I wasn't sure if going from stock to stock would be considered a rom change and erase everything.

Thanks for your help and all of the work you have put into this.
  7. Motorhead1991

From stock to stock should be alright. I can also tar up a TWRP build later .

EDOT: I talked with KemoNine, he's looking into it.
  8. precglide

precglide Member

Has anyone had the chance to look into this yet? Thanks
  9. Motorhead1991

According to him they're fixed. Go for it :)
  10. precglide

precglide Member

11. Motorhead1991

I'm not sure how I came up with that link... It's been forever since I wrote this.
  12. precglide

precglide Member

Since there doesn't seem to be a Clockwork recovery tar file anywhere, what should I do in your opinion? Just do the destructive root method and be done with it or should I try to flash the stock firmware without bloatware, with Clockwork recovery using Odin? If I use Odin, are the instructions the same to flash a firmware as they are to flash a recovery but I just choose a different tar file and are my chances of bricking it any higher using Odin?

Thanks again for all of your help with this. I love my Rugby Smart, I just hate the constant lag and locking up when it tries to do too many things.
  13. Motorhead1991

I will get around to making a recovery tar, but it won't be tonight (I just drove 5 or 6 hours)
  14. precglide

precglide Member

I think I'm just going to try the destructive method. I probably have too much stuff on it anyway and whatever I do need, I can get back. Although I may try to flash the stock rom without bloatware first. I'm just a little scared to brick it. Thanks