Root Noob Question

Last Updated:

1. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I'm totally new to all this rooting and flashing custom kernels and all that, but I'm doing pretty well with it. I just don't fully understand all the bits and pieces yet.

Yesterday, I loaded JoeyKrim's 0.5 custom kernel, and I had a lot of trouble getting it to work with a custom theme. I want to load his 2.0 kernel today, and I want to try a theme again, but my question is about reverting if I screw the phone up.

I went into Recovery 3.0.8 and I backed up my system and my data. If I screw the phone up badly, can I just go in there and restore both of those and be back where I was?

Seems to make sense to me, but I just want to be sure.

Advertisement
  2. kzoo

kzoo Well-Known Member

You can just reflash the stock de03 2.1

3. flu13

Right (and I've done that twice now), but I don't want to lose everything I've installed and set up since doing so.

4. gmjlopez

gmjlopez Well-Known Member

I would also like to know if this is possible. I am running stock DE03 rooted and wanted to see what the hype is of running a custom theme.

5. flu13

I had a theme for a while yesterday, although I couldn't make phone calls (my wife said I basically had an ipod touch at that point). It was really nice looking.

I'm going to try following some detailed instructions on pushing a theme and see how that does.

Also, regarding my original question: I downloaded an update zip from Joey's kitchen and it froze my phone. I went back to recovery and restored my system and it booted up fine again.

6. ragingbull2k2

ragingbull2k2 Well-Known Member

http://www.joeyconway.com/sdx/custom/index.php

thats pretty much idiot-proof... choose your options, hit download at the very bottom, and it generates a zip for you... flash that using recovery, and you're golden... NOTHING to worry about... updating the kernel doesn't do anything to screw up your data/apps... give that link a whirl and see what you think...

Joey

7. ragingbull2k2

ragingbull2k2 Well-Known Member

you definitely want to get the custom kernel ASAP... it literally DOUBLED my battery life... and custom themes simply change stuff to make it look a little nicer overall... specially since this is vanilla 2.1 (no touchwiz or anything)...

Joey