.::Root Notification Thread (Root Achieved and thread open)::.

Last Updated:

1. Anonimac

Anonimac Your mom goes to college. VIP Member

Updated: 6/10/2010 7:06 CST.

Feel free to subscribe to this thread...when we achieve root the top status will change to ROOT with relevant information about it...very simple. No need to make any more posts/threads about the subject, when root is achieved you'll know here.

Advertisement
    varaonaid, Autonomy, Xiamen and 229 others like this.
  2. Anonimac

Root on the HTC Incredible has been achieved (see screen below). The current process is long and risky, however, we're only days away from a user-friendly patch process that should make it very easy.

Instructions:
    Note: Proceed at your own risk!!! This method is not easy for beginners and you are highly advised to wait until an easier patch/method is made available
    public:adb_in_recovery [RootWiki]

Some relevant links:
    Woot for Root! Droid Incredible Finally Breaks Its Chains | Android Phone Fans

Droid Incredible gets rooted at long last -- Engadget

Incredible Owners, Rejoice – First Successful Root Achieved On The HTC Droid Incredible By The Unrevoked Team | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

Unrevoked team: Incredible Root process - xda-developers

Attached Files:

3. Anonimac

Please discuss root here for now... a new sub-section will be created soon and this thread will be moved there.
  4. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

does this mean i need to unsubscribe to this thread so i don't get a billion emails today?
  5. Slygathor

Slygathor Member

I can't get my Incredible to recognize when I push the Vol-Up and Power button at the same time. Whenever I try it just locks/puts the phone to sleep. Anyone have a suggestion?

EDIT: And nothing happens when I press the 2 when my phone is off.
  6. thirtyfour41

thirtyfour41 Well-Known Member

thinking... no, it's not april fool's day... god let this not be a hoax again!
  7. Zenze

Zenze Well-Known Member

Awesome! Sure took a while but it was inevitably going to happen.

Need Froyo rom now lol!
  8. thirtyfour41

thirtyfour41 Well-Known Member

that actually sounds like a great idea, i think i will do that :D
  9. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

i would prefer to have an "official" discussion thread and leave this one locked for mods to post significant news on root so we can stay subscribed.
    jmorisey likes this.
  10. Incredible_Nat

Incredible_Nat Well-Known Member

so I am curious what exactly is making D.I. so hard to root (as opposed to EVO)? thx
  11. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

As I basically posted in another thread- not seeing the risk vs reward gain for a few reasons:

1. Flash Lite 4 is not much different from 10.1, since neither have GPU support- yet
    2. We already have 748mb of app space and the flash allocation is faster than apps2sd option.
    3. Device already is fast, and this comes from a picky SOB like me.
    4. Tethering is coverd with an app
    5. If the flash memory is not accounted for, we lose the 8gb. Even if mapped as external storage, it will be problematic unless fully accounted for in the rom as both app and media space (allocated split, of course).

Short answer- a stock EVO, Nexus or Desire rom will force all app space to the 512 rom with the OS and apps2sd forced to the microsd card. Much weaker option than what we have now.

Please consider this before applying a rom unless the dev confirms the 8gb flash memory is accounted for and at least the same amount we have now is allocated for third party apps. I think this will not be as easy to make work correctly as people assume it will be.

Our best case may be to get an early leak of the Incredible's 2.2 rom, unless the flash space is correctly accounted for.
  12. GAUG3

GAUG3 Well-Known Member

I agree. I just unsubscribed.
  13. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

This does not seem all the difficult to implement. Perhaps I am missing something, or maybe they are just really good at explaining how to do it... I guess I will wait a little bit. I am not really in a rush at this point.

btw, GREAT WORK!
  14. b00sted4fun

b00sted4fun Well-Known Member

unless I am slow today (which may be the case) the hard part is getting the phone to go into adb shell while in recovery... so far i can not get it done lol
  15. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Well-Known Member

incredible users, the world is yours!
  16. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

Yeah. I guess it just looks simple.
  17. Anonimac

we're working on a method now to make it easier to get adb in recovery...tonight/tomorrow should bring user-friendliness
  18. mdonova33

mdonova33 Well-Known Member

Anyone know about anyone who is working on a ROM?
  19. Robhimself

Robhimself Well-Known Member

congrats dudes
  20. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member

I get SU access immediately following the process but once i reboot.. su results in access denied

I'm using a batch file to loop adb shell

@ECHO OFF
    :TOP
    ADB SHELL
    goto TOP

Press control C once you get the correct response
  21. SimonTuffGuy

SimonTuffGuy Member

I'm on reboot #8 right now. I have 3 powershell windows running "while ($true) { .\adb shell }

Getting "error: device not found" on each window during the process.

Essentially, I'm powering off phone. Power and volume down button to get into options. SD cards are loaded and then I volume down to recovery, hit power. HTC splash screen loads, and then the Incredible with the red ! icon is displayed.

How long do I wait from this point until I would know adb loaded? Or is it immediate?

If nothing happens after that, I hit the power button and volume up to get back to the system recovery window and reboot system now to try again....
  22. prerunnerseth

I've done it 3 times with my batch file above... takes 3-4 reboots... but like stated i lose the SU ability after reboot
  23. prerunnerseth

24. prerunnerseth

tried 3 times... same result... cannot adb shell and run SU after reboot.
  25. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Nobody is working on a MOD (Correct term is ROM) yet. First we have to have wide-access ROOT capabilities (So that not super-users can root their incredibles) Then we'll need to remap a ROM from another phone or build a brand-new ROM, which will take a while.
    NightAngel79 likes this.