Root now or wait for Froyo?

Last Updated:

1. Henweigh

Henweigh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 18, 2010
    I apologize as I saw some threads kind of relating to this for various devices, but I'd like some opinions. I've been debating whether I should try rooting in the next few days. However, though I know it could be as late as the first few months of 2011, Froyo is just around the corner. Would y'all recommend me rooting right now, or waiting for Froyo to release? Someone in another thread recommended doing it now, as the manner in which rooting is achieved may be patched or something with the next update. I'm not so impatient that I need root NOW NOW NOW. I'd just like at some point soon to be able to do it, with minimal hassle.

Also, if I should root, what can I expect to happen on the day that Froyo is released? What will show up on the phone, will I be able to update and it will just lose root, or do you have to remove root and various other things before you can update to Froyo? Am I right in understanding that all of the bloatware must be put back in place in order to update?

2. NOsquid

NOsquid Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Nobody can say for sure what will happen. Some OTAs are nasty and cause problems. The last OTA (DI01) went through if you put bloat back, just took away your root (re-root and good to go). If you absolutely must have the Verizon OTA the prudent thing to do would be to wait a day or two and see what happens to the people who jumped...

Or if you end up installing Clockwork there will be a flashable zip. Probably before the OTA, at worst a few days after.

IMO, Samsung/Verizon's crippled Froyo rendition is unlikely to be revolutionary, wouldn't plan around it.
  3. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    there is no difference when you root tbh...the root crowd 9 times out of 10 either gets the leaked version of ota software first or within hours of the ota starting gets flashable and optimized versions of it.

waiting for froyo to root is pointless imo, when you are just putting up with a laggy 2.1 in the meantime :)
  4. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
  5. dan409

dan409 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Couldn't agree more, not to mention more bloatware that they will probably load it up with. Which will just make it more of a PIA for those that are non-rooted. JMO

for me there was nothing to think about when I found out that rooting was the beginning step of NO MORE GPS or SIGNAL and accurate dbm issues...

Once the froyo or gingerbread leak comes out(however vzw decides to play it), the fun is only just begun !