Root odex files?

Last Updated:

1. andross77

andross77 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok so i did the almost 1 click root for droid x after the 2.2 OTA udpate and it was SIMPLE. All i wanted it for was to rename the bloatware to keep it from running. What i notice now in Root Explorer is in /system/apps now there is an "apk" and "odex" for each app. Before, in 2.1 i'm pretty sure there was just an "apk" (ie lots of robots going down the list...now it's robot, paper, robot, paper, robot, paper)

I never checked in astro or another file explorer to see if the 2.2 OTA brought about all these ODEX files so i'm wondering was it just that or when i did the root for 2.2 did that put all the ODEX files there?

And if so, what does that mean and does it make it harder to get back to stock? will i still be able to receive Motorola's OTA when they push out the messaging bug fix?

thanks, just friekin' out a little. :)

Advertisement
  2. andross77

nuttin? :)

3. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Well-Known Member

yeah 2.2 is odexed which is why most people who want a theme have to deodex it first

4. andross77

So the odex files don't mean anything to me unless i want to theme my phone? That's good to hear.

Odexing the files is part of what makes 2.2 faster than 2.1?

5. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Well-Known Member

actually some people say that 2.2 is snappier after its been deodexed.

6. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

I have to agree. I think having deodexed has boosted the speed of my phone slightly. It's noticeable only so often, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Deodex if you want a slight speed boost and the ability to theme and fully customize. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother with it. I did it because I wanted my black notification bar back from when I was on 2.1. The speed boost is just an extra incentive. :)

7. andross77

ok, thanks. i think i'll hold off on deodex for now mainly because you have to know how to do ADB which i don't. plus i want to be able to receive motorola's messaging OTA fix and i'm not sure how i would get back to ODEX from DEODEX :)

8. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you would think deodexing would make you unable to receive updates, but ok.