• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Seems like unnecessary semantics to me.

Well it's not. The wifi hotspot feature that's native in Android 2.2 require hardware that supports the ability to become a true wifi hotspot hotspot. The 'wifi tether' apps out there use adhoc networking, which is a different ballgame. Verizon in no way removed the functionality from 2.2, it simply wasn't supported.

I'm not going to go into the fine details of how they differ, Google does a fairly good job in itself.

Upvote 0
Well it's not. The wifi hotspot feature that's native in Android 2.2 require hardware that supports the ability to become a true wifi hotspot hotspot. The 'wifi tether' apps out there use adhoc networking, which is a different ballgame. Verizon in no way removed the functionality from 2.2, it simply wasn't supported.

I'm not going to go into the fine details of how they differ, Google does a fairly good job in itself.

I catch your drift. I caught it in the first place, and I don't doubt that you are correct. However, you knew full well that he meant wi-fi tether and if someone only needs to connect one device to the Droid's 3G connection, adhoc wi-fi tether and a "true" wi-fi hotspot offer the exact same functionality. So as far as I'm concerned for 99% of instances for which you would want to connect a PC or laptop to 3G, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Your point is well made however, and you can pat yourself on the back for successfully being a smart-ass.

Upvote 0
However, you knew full well that he meant wi-fi tether and if someone only needs to connect one device to the Droid's 3G connection, adhoc wi-fi tether and a "true" wi-fi hotspot offer the exact same functionality.

Yeah, they offer pretty much the same functionality, I agree. And while he may have meant wifi tether in his post, he goes on to imply Verizon is lying about their official statement regarding the Droid's ability to support Android 2.2 native Wifi Hotspot which of course isn't true, and that's what my post was directed at.

Not meaning to sound like a smart ass, my apologies about that. I can see how my post comes across as such.

Upvote 0
Yeah, they offer pretty much the same functionality, I agree. And while he may have meant wifi tether in his post, he goes on to imply Verizon is lying about their official statement regarding the Droid's ability to support Android 2.2 native Wifi Hotspot which of course isn't true, and that's what my post was directed at.

Not meaning to sound like a smart ass, my apologies about that. I can see how my post comes across as such.

Eh, I think I was just being a little touchy. I'm actually glad to have to info you provided even though I don't even have a laptop though so I don't need wi-fi tether / hotspot.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon would claim that Droid isn't capable of doing wi-fi tethering either...

Upvote 0
Several of the old hands on here suggested that your really should be intimidated before you root.
Of course what they meant was that if you are a little scared you will A. actually read all the instructions and posts B. Actually backup intelligently and make a nandroid backup and C. Not make a forum post all in caps claiming that you have bricked your phone trying to root. (99/100 of those posts the person in question only THINKS they bricked their phone).

I was pretty intimidated, read everything, used the easy method and have been running rooted for 3 weeks now I think.

I see no downside to rooting thus far and many benefits.

Cheers

:)

Upvote 0
Do you have access to another battery? Do you have a spare?

And go back through the rooting steps, letter by letter, and make sure you did everything right and didn't write anything in there by mistake.

I can't imagine a rooting process messing up primary power, unless your battery took a nosedive at the exact same time. Figure those odds.

OMJ, if you're in here, feel free to chime in... you've seen it all :cool:

BTW PARick, what rooting method did you use?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones