• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root + OverclockWidget = Insane Battery Life 40+ Hours

Well, despite the fact that I am almost thoroughly convinced I will be getting an EVO early July, this thread made me register and reply. This is, simply put, one of the most brilliant, no-brainer solutions for portable products I have ever heard. If this does indeed work as explained (I dont see why it wouldn't, then again I don't own the Evo yet), it makes me question why no one has ever thought of this on other phones/devices including the iPhone! My only caveat with this phone was the battery life situation being reportedly spotty, however this is just icing on the cake. Can't wait.

Upvote 0
A processor doesn't run at a lower mhz when it's idle then magically jumps up when needed. It's either running or not running.

That quote shows that you really have no idea what you're talking about. Modern CPUs have had the capability to scale for years now. It became especially popular as mobile computing became more frequent, as the need to conserve battery life came into play. For instance, my desktop PC can scale my AMD Phenom II CPU speed from 3.2 GHz down to 800 MHz as the system load increases and decreases. Not only that, but it can scale each core (out of 4 cores) independently. The snapdragon processor has this same ability.

Upvote 0
Well, despite the fact that I am almost thoroughly convinced I will be getting an EVO early July, this thread made me register and reply. This is, simply put, one of the most brilliant, no-brainer solutions for portable products I have ever heard. If this does indeed work as explained (I dont see why it wouldn't, then again I don't own the Evo yet), it makes me question why no one has ever thought of this on other phones/devices including the iPhone! My only caveat with this phone was the battery life situation being reportedly spotty, however this is just icing on the cake. Can't wait.

Don't let reviewers mislead you like I was mislead. All things being normal, your battery should last you all day, like any other smartphone out now.

My battery died in 6 hours yesterday, but I found the cause to be exchange not syncing correctly (it was literally ALWAYS refreshing). I have that problem resolved, and my phone hasn't charged since yesterday around 6:00pm, and is at 20%. I've been browsing the internet on it, watching youtube videos, and listening to music literally nonstop since 8am.

I just downloaded this app (and rooted my phone). I'll post the results after I get it to a full charge and tinker with it.

I must say, the more I use this phone, the more I absolutely positively love it. I can't sing high enough praises for it.

Upvote 0
I have to agree, but isn't that BIOS based and not up the chain through the driver?

Usually the only part that is limited by the BIOS is the ability to increase the multiplier past its set point or similarly related overclocking tricks. There should be no issues with the Android OS telling the CPU to underclock.

I'm trying this out right now, my main deal would be testing how this compares for battery life against the "Always on Mobile Data" setting, since that for sure can reduce battery drain but can be troublesome for some IM clients or people who need emails quickly.

Using that setting and leaving my phone unplugged last night (which I've been doing every night so far with various tweaks and settings to see how it affects battery life) led to a 6% drop in battery in 8 hours, if this can provide comparable results while leaving that option on, I'm 100% for it.

Upvote 0
Don't let reviewers mislead you like I was mislead. All things being normal, your battery should last you all day, like any other smartphone out now.

My battery died in 6 hours yesterday, but I found the cause to be exchange not syncing correctly (it was literally ALWAYS refreshing). I have that problem resolved, and my phone hasn't charged since yesterday around 6:00pm, and is at 20%. I've been browsing the internet on it, watching youtube videos, and listening to music literally nonstop since 8am.

I just downloaded this app (and rooted my phone). I'll post the results after I get it to a full charge and tinker with it.

I must say, the more I use this phone, the more I absolutely positively love it. I can't sing high enough praises for it.

Totally agree. I had myself mentally prepared to just deal with the battery sucking and that hasn't been the case at all. If you have everything set up correctly there's no reason it shouldn't last you all day. I was messing with mine a lot yesterday and at 10:30 p.m. it was at 40% battery remaining. Having said that, I'm still excited to see what this does to improve it!

Upvote 0
Totally agree. I had myself mentally prepared to just deal with the battery sucking and that hasn't been the case at all. If you have everything set up correctly there's no reason it shouldn't last you all day. I was messing with mine a lot yesterday and at 10:30 p.m. it was at 40% battery remaining. Having said that, I'm still excited to see what this does to improve it!

Over at XDA I follwed Toast's root and used flipz Stock Rooted Rom linked from Toasts root instructions.

Upvote 0
I'm retesting again today and mines been off charger for 2 hrs 54m and i'm at 93 percent. I also have a full signal in my office at work. I do have back data enabled, but all of my syncs are 2 hours or more. I have also removed Nascar and Sprint Nav and flashed the updated radio from Xda. I do not have 4G in my zone. I'm using Live wall papers. I also have "Taskiller" installed.

This is all the "something more" i can think of.

Previous to the Overclock widget scaling I was getting 10-14 hours per charge. Running my numbers when i check percentages, everytime I calculate i'm getting high 30's or low 40's for hours of projected battery life.

Upvote 0
I'm retesting again today and mines been off charger for 2 hrs 54m and i'm at 93 percent. I also have a full signal in my office at work. I do have back data enabled, but all of my syncs are 2 hours or more. I have also removed Nascar and Sprint Nav and flashed the updated radio from Xda. I do not have 4G in my zone. I'm using Live wall papers. I also have "Taskiller" installed.

This is all the "something more" i can think of.

Previous to the Overclock widget scaling I was getting 10-14 hours per charge. Running my numbers when i check percentages, everytime I calculate i'm getting high 30's or low 40's for hours of projected battery life.

I unfortunately have 1-2 bars in my office.

To flash the updated radio do you need the toast root? What does it do?

I can't do the toast root if I've accepted the OTA update correct?

Upvote 0
I unfortunately have 1-2 bars in my office.

To flash the updated radio do you need the toast root? What does it do?

I can't do the toast root if I've accepted the OTA update correct?

You would need the toast root to flash the update from recovery mode.

I did the OTA and was able to do the Toast root and it reverted me back. I then flashed the flipz stock rooted rom and then the radio package after that.

Upvote 0
Thanks Nick. I'm searching the forums at XDA but I'm not sure what the radio update actually does?

IIRC, there is no real explanation of the benefits of the radio update. However it was part of the OTA package from 6/4/10. I'd imagine if it didn't fix something or do something better, they wouldn't have made the change/included it.

Others are on the line of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Upvote 0
Im going to tinker around with some things tonight.

Im on Toast's root right now.
only thing thats on (power wise) is screen at max bright.
i have 4g but its not enabled(to iffy and spotty)
my service bounces all day in my building (thinking a biggy)
i havent removed any of those stock apps
dont believe in task killers.

There is probably just something im missing. Im going to continue working on this.

im absolutely amazed at how this community has exploded in the past few DAYS. Little tweaks and mods out the "wazzoo" already.

Upvote 0
well i downloaded this at around 10:20. Took off charger(100%) at around 11. I have very little apps installed and im already at 40% roughly. Hoping there is something missing here.

Sorta the same results.

But my phone was at about 89%, about an hour later after installing the Overclock widget, I'm at 42%.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones