• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root + OverclockWidget = Insane Battery Life 40+ Hours

Overclock widget code attached...just an excuse to use google goggles :) This phone rocks!

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    865 bytes · Views: 219
Upvote 0
Quick question, way off topic but hopefully someone can answer. Why do you need to run the updated radio if you already had the OTA update? Didn't the OTA update also update the radio? When I look at my bootscreen on my stock Evo, I see the radio version and it's the same that's listed on the XDA forum.

if you downloaded the OTA update then your radio got updated.

Upvote 0
ok, this is a little summary from what I know and have experienced.

first, yes, android does downclock itself. I dealt with this a lot when I had my hero.

second. when I installed oc widget and set it all up, it never once asked me for su permissions. this made me suspicious. I downlocked it so it was forced to stay at 575 or something but another one of my widgets said it was still at 998. I also installed setCPU and it was scaling between 245 and 998. I decided to use setCPU instead seeing as everything points to it working and oc widget not working. (I did linpack, I did cat /proc/cpuinfo and it all coincided with what setCPU was telling me) I also checked the cpu load using setCPU (this was a problem on the hero) and it stayed constant around 3%-5%.

by the way, oc widget did work on my hero and I think it asked for su permissions as well.

lastly, I used profiles on setCPU to determine my clock speed on charge, on standby (screen off) and when the power is <100%

I also do not deny you having better battery life, this might just be MY evo. btw, i am rooted using toasts method on the stock rooted rom :D

Upvote 0
ok, this is a little summary from what I know and have experienced.

first, yes, android does downclock itself. I dealt with this a lot when I had my hero.

second. when I installed oc widget and set it all up, it never once asked me for su permissions. this made me suspicious. I downlocked it so it was forced to stay at 575 or something but another one of my widgets said it was still at 998. I also installed setCPU and it was scaling between 245 and 998. I decided to use setCPU instead seeing as everything points to it working and oc widget not working. (I did linpack, I did cat /proc/cpuinfo and it all coincided with what setCPU was telling me) I also checked the cpu load using setCPU (this was a problem on the hero) and it stayed constant around 3%-5%.

by the way, oc widget did work on my hero and I think it asked for su permissions as well.

lastly, I used profiles on setCPU to determine my clock speed on charge, on standby (screen off) and when the power is <100%

I also do not deny you having better battery life, this might just be MY evo. btw, i am rooted using toasts method on the stock rooted rom :D

I haven't had time to test if it works yet, as I'm charging to 100% to let it stay unplugged overnight (last night I left it unplugged prior to installing this to compare it to)
It def asked me for SU permissions, and it shows up in the app as well. here:

Attachments

• snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0
I followed the settings discussed earlier in the thread and at 100% at 8:30pm to 20% at 7:12am, with about 45 minutes of gaming and the rest of the time it was screen off. I also had my 4G and Bluetooth on. Now while I was running my EVO, my friend was running his stock, not rooted, no task killers and played games for the same amount of time as I did and also had his Bluetooth on, but not his 4G. He ended up with 28% battery life left.

So, in comparison, using the Overclock Widget seems to suck more power vs not using the Widget. Again my settings are identical to the OP's that he displayed.

Upvote 0
From what I was reading on the Toast instructions loading the Toast root file on a phone reboot I will lose all data on the phone? Is this correct?

LINK:Evo 4G root instructions are here! | Android Central

My understanding is that the toast root itself does not wipe any data. IF after you root you installed a custom ROM that would be where your data would get wiped.

I used the Unrevoked for now so nothing got wiped.

Upvote 0
I followed the settings discussed earlier in the thread and at 100% at 8:30pm to 20% at 7:12am, with about 45 minutes of gaming and the rest of the time it was screen off. I also had my 4G and Bluetooth on. Now while I was running my EVO, my friend was running his stock, not rooted, no task killers and played games for the same amount of time as I did and also had his Bluetooth on, but not his 4G. He ended up with 28% battery life left.

So, in comparison, using the Overclock Widget seems to suck more power vs not using the Widget. Again my settings are identical to the OP's that he displayed.

In my opinion, having 4G on vs. off could easily account for the 8% difference. However you're right in that there doesn't seem to be much gain. Hmm, more testing required.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that this definitely works, i took my phone off the charge last night and as of right now i have 63% battery left with 17hrs off the charge, i have been pushing 3 email accounts and have had moderate internet use. What i have realized though is that if you leave 4g on even if you have good reception, it will drain you battery really fast. So unless you are using it i would recommend turning it off when not in use.

Upvote 0

I'm seeing the exact opposite results. My battery only lost about 4% charge from 11:15 pm to 8:00 am this morning using OC Widget. Are you sure your settings are being saved? I thought that this wasn't working either until I realized that you have to manually save the settings and since then I have noticed a dramatic increase in battery life. I've also noticed that when my screen is asleep and using OC widget that my battery charges a lot faster. YMMV

Upvote 0
It does really depend on usage and signal but if that's atleast a few hours improvement over previous battery life i'd say were stepping in the right direction.

I think going off what's been discussed so far, we can say that Yes Android will automatically downclock the CPU when the phone screen is off, but it likely has a timer to where it waits for a certain point in time before it does this action. The widget is forcing it to do downclock as soon as the screen off.

From playing around with normal usage yesterday (i.e. messing around with it every few minutes for whatever purpose), I did see a noticeable difference in battery life. When I went to bed I decided to test it along with unchecking "Mobile Data Always On." The night before when I did this without the widget, I used up 6% of the battery in the 8 hours I slept. My results were the same this time with both Mobile Data unchecked and the widget installed.

So moral of the story is, under normal usage where you will be hitting up the phone a few times an hour and not giving Android a chance to downclock on it's own, battery life improves. Long idle times between use will see no improvement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones