1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Root phone or wait for 4.2/4.3

1. kemo1990

kemo1990 Well-Known Member

updates probably wont be coming to ATT for a few more months, I rooted my evo v 4g before but this is a contract phone so im paranoid about rooting it. Should I just do it or wait for the updates

Advertisement
    :
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

It's usually better to root sooner because updates may close exploits used to obtain root. Once that happens, rooting may be impossible until a new exploit is found. Once you are rooted, an app like Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper can help protect your root so that you don't lose it when you update.
    scotty85 likes this.
  3. t3chn0s1s

t3chn0s1s Member

I too debated on this very subject for a short while. However, with AT&T you could grow old and die waiting for updates. AT&T seems to have a quicker track record updating HTC devices than Samsung. For example, the Vivid was the first carrier device to receive ICS. So, I decided I'd rather not wait for AT&T to take its sweet old time for getting us 4.2.2 and I went the whole way.... umlocked the bootloader, root, s-off and supercid and I couldn't be happier. There is nothing to be paranoid about, contract or not. There is SO much info on XDA/Google search and YouTube on HOW to unlock the bootloader, achieve root, s-off and supercid that you'd have to be completely illiterate to not figure it out. Plus, if you root and gain s-off you can always reverse the bootloader to an 'untampered', locked state again and return to bone stock if you ever need to send it in for repair. I say take the plunge. You won't regret it.
    scotty85 likes this.
  4. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

definately get s off now,while you can. after youve gotten s off,you can stay completely stock and recieve OTAs,if you wish(tho thats not much fun ;))

with s off,you can ALWAYS easily re root,and you can also eliminate the relocked watermark your left with if you stay s on. s-off lets you get back to 100% stock,s-on,locked,wich may be important for a phone you may want to trade in someday ;)
    t3chn0s1s likes this.
  5. kemo1990

alright thanks guys, will do it when i get back in today
    scotty85 likes this.
  6. clsA

clsA Guides Guide

I'll assume everything went as planned ?
    No problems/questions ?
    scotty85 likes this.
  7. kemo1990

actually doing it tomorrow. is there a rom that has 4.2 4.3 and zoe/blinkfeed minus the att bloatware?
  8. clsA

clsA Guides Guide

scotty85 likes this.
  9. kemo1990

10. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide