root problems

Last Updated:

1. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I searche around, and nothing specific was really given, so I am making a new thread. My apologies if I did not see what I need, as I am notoriously bad at searching for physical things, and I see no reason that would not apply to digital things. :p

Wat are the real downfalls of rooting? The reason I want to root is for the ability to make my phone a wifi hotspot, as that would be tremendously useful. However, if this compromises my phone's usability, I cannot do it beause the phone is my business lifeline. I read there are "some problems" that can arise with root, but what are they, exactly?

Also, can I root on the current 1.5 version?* Or is that not possible. I read the guide, buy was sort of confused it that was just for that 2.1 version because it was preferable, or because it was the only choice. I need google voice to work flawlessly, and from reports with 2.1, it does not, so again, this could kill it for me.

Thanks,
    Nkk , who despite this post is actually pretty technologically adept

*EDIT: I know I can root while on 1.5, but can I keep it as 1.5 after rooting?

Advertisement
  2. acidbath5546

acidbath5546 Well-Known Member

Best Post I have read all DAY!
    ;)

3. nkk

Sarcasm much? :p From what I have read (and your guide status), you could possibly help me, or at least point me to the resources I am guessing I missed.

Nkk

4. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

I suppose we COULD create an image with 1.5 + root, but I doubt anyone's gonna do that. 1.5 is old news. :)

There's an older version of Google Voice, .2 I think or somethin, that works flawlessly.

Why do you need GV to work "flawlessly" anyways? You do know that dialing out with GV still uses your minutes, right?

nkk likes this.
  5. nkk

Yes, I know. It would be really nice, however, if my google voice number was the only one the people I work with see. I could live without, but it would be if everything else works well.

Anyway, I am rooting in a day or two (when I find time) if tere are no other problems. Now that there seems to be a way for me to go back to 1.5, there really does not seem to be a downside.

-Nkk

6. jcase

jcase Well-Known Member

Someone remind me this weekend, I will do a 1.5 + root. I have a 1.5 downgrade rom linked somewhere on this forum and on xda.

nkk likes this.
  7. acidbath5546

Yeah sarcastic as charged....When I saw your post earlier you must of been editing it, because it only showed it saying " Ok, so I s"
    So thats what I was responding to :)

But yeah gotta agreee with Grdlock, 1.5 is semi old is that fashion, and besides the google voice issue...no real other reason.

And yeah there really isnt a downside for you to Root, there are some pretty nice roms out there :)

Sorry for the sarcasm earlier....just poking fun ;)

8. acidbath5546

Yeah, just post it in the sticky and will make sure its linked and added to 1st post for everyone to see :)

9. nkk

Thanks. ;)
    Fair enough. I accidentally hit enter while typing, so my post was submitted prematurely. :)

-Nkk

10. screennamie

screennamie Well-Known Member

Ya know, they make a cream for that. :D