• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root process may be quicker than you think. I need to confirm screen message

greysight

May 20, 2010
Hello everyone. I need someone to tell me is this message is important. I tried a few root steps and nothing worked. Then i tried the process skipping a few parts and was able to get to the "apply update screen" in blue type.

BUT..... at the bottom of my screen i get the following message
"e: cant open /cache/recovery/command"

My question is... will this affect a successful root? or can i ignore this. I did not want to risk bricking my phone so I did not try to go past this point. BUT... the method i tried brought me to the update screen every time (3 times consecutive with no problems)

I would also like to add i reached the update screen after a computer reboot as well with this method.

I will post what steps i left out if this error message is not important

Let me know.

I don't know what the message means, but it has not bearing on whether or not you can root. It shows up if you get the shell to connect in recovery and if you don't.

I'm in:

adb2.png

and it's still there:

adby.png

sorry for the size of the pics

Upvote 0
I don't know what the message means, but it has not bearing on whether or not you can root. It shows up if you get the shell to connect in recovery and if you don't.

adby.png

This is the screen i get too... does that mean i can apply the update and root successfully?

1 basically i followed the steps with adb shell.
2 then went into recovery
3 but instead of trying to get the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" message in cmd
i pressed volume up and power. it took me right to the update screen

I will go through my steps again because i am typing off memory. But i strongly believe that is what i did.

Upvote 0
you have to be connected to the shell in order to push the necessary files to the phone. Are you successfully connected? Are you running the loop.bat file and get the error that is in my screenshot (#1) above?

This is my process
1 used the adb shell to run the loop bat
2 with the loop already running plugged in my phone and turned it on by pressing the power and the trackball
3 went into recovery
4 waited a few second then pressed volume up and power

the update screen appeared but i did not get the ""exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" message on my cmd which may be vital to successfully getting root to work i am not sure.... that is why i am asking you guys to make sure my phone or no one else's for that matter gets bricked by this method.

This is why i wanted to hold off on my telling my steps just in case the
"e: cant open /cache/recovery/command" was a warning sign not to go any further with the process.

I don't wanna screw up anyone's phone

Upvote 0

adby.png

This is the screen i get too... does that mean i can apply the update and root successfully?

1 basically i followed the steps with adb shell.
2 then went into recovery
3 but instead of trying to get the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" message in cmd
i pressed volume up and power. it took me right to the update screen

I will go through my steps again because i am typing off memory. But i strongly believe that is what i did.

No, this is standard, you have to get the message in adb shell/loop.bat ... See the video.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones