Root question

Last Updated:

1. chosendude

chosendude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any way to root your phone without it deleting all the contacts and apps that are already on there?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. dodger55fan

dodger55fan Well-Known Member

Wrong section, there's a rooting section here. But to answer your question, even if you do have to wipe your data to root (which I believe is not always the case but is probably best in interest of safety), google backs it up anyways, so as soon as you sign in to your google account, all your contacts will appear shortly and your apps will be downloaded automatically ... just give it 5-10 minutes after you sign in before doing anything.

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

It has never done this for me. If you go to the downloads section in the Market app it will show what you have downloaded/purchased before but it doesn't automatically download anything.

The nice this is that once you root you can use Titanium backup which will backup all apps and all of their saved data. Makes switching ROMs much easier because you can just restore everything (including home applications and their icons/widgets) instead of having to redownload all your apps and losing any saved files.

4. Caveman419

Caveman419 Well-Known Member

As long as you are coming from a similar ROM (like a Cyan based to Cyan based) it will redownload all of your apps as long as you have signed in your google account and select the the back up features when setting your phone up. I have downloaded many, many different ROMs and it works for me.

5. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Weird. Maybe I'm just downloading Ti backup and restoring everything so fast it doesn't have a chance.

6. dodger55fan

dodger55fan Well-Known Member

Most likely, it takes a little while but It's totally worth it because your phone does all the work for you, but as soon as you install one thing i'm pretty sure it stops the process, at least that's been my experience

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

If you open the market it wont download your apps automatically.

But back to the OPs question you can get root without losing anything on your phone. Just us the SPRecovery SBF file.