Root questions...and problems

Last Updated:

1. bknewtype

bknewtype Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hey guys im new to the forums, but i have been researching extensively on the web about rooting. my first main concern is about my phone being formatting. i have researched the web, and its been telling me 2 things, that i WILL wipe the device and i would have to have it reactivated by verizon, and another place that says it will NOT wipe my device and only difference is that after rooting the phone is that it is just...rooted and leaves my data untouched. which is it? i only want to root and not flash new roms ( YET!)

also last night, i gave in and tried rooting. however i encountered 2 problems. i have used the guides that was included in the forum.

1 problem is using the rsd light, when i flash the sbf, it goes to 100% in like 2 seconds, then it fails to reboot the phone. i have researched on that and it was saying it actually didnt flash the spf file. any ideas on this fix?

another problem is that when i use the update.zip ( i know that it has to b named just update) it gives me the e-verification fail in recovery mode.

any help is greatly appreciated, and as i said, i have searched and have not found a def. answer, except to keep trying. i will keep trying but i hope someone here can help me get this all done! thank you in advance!!!

Advertisement
  2. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

If all you are going to do is root, then I don't believe there is a data wipe needed.

However even if you do wipe data and cache at some point, this doesn't require you to contact verizon to get your phone going again, you just go through the setup process on the phone like you did when you first got it, ya know sign in with your google account and click next a lot.

and it does need to be named update.zip
    when you reboot the phone and hold the X key down, does the phone boot into recovery mode? if so then you are on the right track.

3. Vakman

Vakman Well-Known Member

4. bknewtype

thanks for the reply. when i hold X and power, i can go into recovery mode. i got that far and tried the apple update.zip. it always fails on e-verification.

5. bknewtype

that is the exact guide i followed. as i said before, it keeps giving me the verification fail. i am on 2.1 update 1 btw.

also i want to root so i can overclock and have wifi tethering :). however, that is not to say i wont be flashing a custom rom. i am sure at some point i will :)

6. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

do you have the ninja icon in your app drawer ?

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

if you dont have SPRecovery(which you get from flashing the SPRecovery sbf) an update.zip is not going to help you at all. You need to figure out the RSD Lite issue before anything else

8. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

If he didn't have the SPRecovery part down, would he be able to boot into recovery at all?

Before you try to install update.zip, are you first telling it to allow the update.zip install?

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you can boot into the stock recovery. Thats how we originally rooted back in 2.0.1

10. bknewtype

ninja icon? lol i guess i dont

im pretty sure that is the main issue. i dont know what else to do to get sprecovery to flash through rsd lite. it keeps failign to re-emunerate or w/e the message says

how do i tell it to allow it to install?

i am pretty sure it is the stock recovery that im rebooting

thanks guys for the replies. anyone has any suggestion for my rsd lite problem?

11. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

are you on a Windows 7 64bit computer?

12. bknewtype

my primary computer is windows 7 64 bit that gives me the re-emunerating error in rsd lite. when i tried it on vista 32 bit, it would fail right away when i load the sbf file. when i tried it on my bro's xp 32 bit, rsd lite wouldnt even read the phone.

13. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

are you loading the correct drivers on the 32bit computers? ie making sure they are 32bit drivers and not 64?

If thats not the issue I am not sure what is. I have never had any problems at all with RSD on XP.

Are you using the 4.2 or 4.6 drivers?

14. bknewtype

yea i am using the correct drivers for the 32bit xp versions. i thinkt he problem with that is that i cant run it as admin. i am going to try it on another xp computer tonight. as the drivers, im pretty sure im using 4.6.

15. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

bknewtype likes this.
  16. bknewtype

i will try again tonight when i get home and post my success/failure lol. but feel free to keep giving suggestion guys :) thanks. i love this place! my new hangout zone!

17. bknewtype

ok so i tried it on xp. it seems worst. running rsd lite, it detects the phone, but when i click start, it gives me the 0x7029 error.

edit: tried it again, made a little progress, the flash went to 100% but this time it took a little longer ( like 15 seconds) but i dont doubt that it didnt flash. still failed at re-enumerating afterwards. im stumpped!

18. BAC5.2

BAC5.2 Well-Known Member

I used the 2.1 rooted file from TheUnlockr above, I get the ninja icon, but I keep getting permission errors with ROM Manager.

Any ideas?

19. bknewtype

2 more questions in case i am sucessful at rooting:

if i install a new rom, can i use mybackup pro to restore my apps on a custom rom?

if i isntall a new rom and wipe the device, will i need to have verizon reactivate my phone?

20. rayporsche

rayporsche Well-Known Member

Interesting, coming from BBerrys all this process seems kinda of new to me......I've gone as far as to the part that says "INSTALL" / from sd / allow / install........and yes the selected new unzipped ROM renamed to 'update.zip' was previously added to the root of the SD-Card and what not, but time after time it shows an error in the final process, unable to find the update.zip and I have to restore and reset everything back to factory and go thru the process of setting the g-account, restoring from backup again just to get it going, done it 5 times already ! I wonder where I'm fu$$ing up and if there is a straightforward procedure to locate that update.zip for sure ? LOL

21. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

^^

bknewtype likes this.
  22. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Are you saying that you unzipped the file? You don't unzip it. Just rename the zip file to "update" and .zip is automatically tagged to the end. If you rename to "update.zip" itll actually be "update.zip.zip"

rayporsche likes this.
  23. bknewtype

thanks a lot dude. and OMG I FINALLY WAS ABLE TO GET RSD LITE TO FLASHH!!!! woohooo! time to apply update.zip !!!!

damn all my crap is erased. i might as well flash a new rom huh?

24. rayporsche

emdmao...............no I haven't unzipped the file but I dropped the ball with "zip.zip" thingy !!! duh !!! will try everything again following your advise, thank you very much sir !
    Ray

25. rayporsche

eeeeeeeeaaaaasy...............piece of cake ! emdmao
    got my Ninja Thingy within the apps menu.....now the experimentation begins !!!! thank you...