Root Questions

Last Updated:

1. johnelway

johnelway New Member This Topic's Starter

My first question is a saw an app on the appstore a little while ago that claimed it would root your droid for you. I was wondering if anyone knew the name of it. Also, i want to use the root to tether. Can verizon see you are doing this and charge you for it? Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
  2. viomonk

viomonk Well-Known Member

For the droid the you can use DMUpdater. Its the one I use. You'll have to use the custom rom it allows you to install, to use the wifi tether and no, there is no way verizon can see what you are doing. Its about a 5 minute process if you use wifi to download the rom. Something to note though, if you have any problems and have to return the phone, you shouls revert back to stock so they don't know what you did because rooting voids your warrantee.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

You can get the DMUpdater on their site. It allows you to root, install their custom ROM, or revert back to unroot/stock.

Their custom ROM will allow you to tether wirelessly. Works very well.

Can Verizon see you doing this and charge you extra? ... DEFINITELY! The question is, WILL they? That depends on your use. You are rolling the dice. If you use it sparingly, there shouldn't be any problems. But if you plan on using it every day and for your DROID to become your broadband modem, I think you'd get caught sooner than later. There is a tethering plan for customers that want to use their DROID like this.

For future reference, please post these questions in the "All Things Root" sub-forum of this forum. That's why it's there. ;)

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

HuH? :confused: Network admin much? They can watch every single packet, if they want to. And Verizon can definitely see when someone is tethering, 100% without a doubt.

5. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

I've had over 11 gigs during two different billing cycles (with tethering) and Verizon never said a thing to me about it.

6. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

They might not be hitting any of us with extra charges for it yet, but they can easily see what we are doing with our data connection. Just because we haven't been caught yet doesn't mean we never will be. And 11gigs might sound like a lot, but believe me there are people using tethering for permanent broadband connections pulling ungodly amounts of data in. Sooner or later they will start monitoring excessive usage accounts and then you will see the rath of VZW.

7. Doszer

Doszer Member

I'm new to all of this talk. So just what is root:confused:
    Thanks

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

9. johnelway

johnelway New Member This Topic's Starter

Alright sweet thanks for the info. I am only planning on using it every once in awhile for a internet connection when im not by my wifi. I dont even think i would end up using over 1 gig tethering.