• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
It's actually very simple, with the condition that you haven't updated to Jelly Bean. If you have, you're pretty much screwed unless you wish to go through the process of fastbooting (resets your system to Ice Cream Sandwich, wipes user data). Assuming you're still on ICS, take a look at this thread and it's all there.

EDIT: To check if you're on jelly bean or ICS, hit settings and about phone. If Android version is at 4.0.xxx, then you're on ICS. If it's 4.1.xxx then you're on Jelly Bean. Thought it might be worth telling you how to check incase you didnt know.

Upvote 0
If you're on 4.1.1 it won't work unfortunately. You'll have to fastboot back to ICS, root there, update it, use rootkeeper, and then install Jelly Bean. Fastbooting involves deleting all user data from the phone though, all apps you've downloaded, any accounts you've set up on your phone, contacts, etc. It's like the phone was the day you opened it. Are you willing to do that? I can walk you through the steps if you'd like.

Upvote 0
Has anything changed on this yet?

I am hoping to know this as well.
I was rooted and thought I was successful with rootkeep, but I must have messed something up because it didn't work for me

I was told a few weeks ago to wait if I did not want to loose everything that there would be a root process but to date I have not read of anything.
Thanks

Upvote 0
The process of fastbooting back to ICS isn't all that difficult; the utility suggested on xda-forums works quite well.

You will need to back up your device; move your photos and music and other stuff you want to save to your PC first. Sync your contacts, email, calenders, etc. It's a bit of a pain, in that you need to make sure you've saved everything, and you have to restore your setup afterwards. But it's not impossible. And you should have everything backed up anyway; sdcards can and do fail catastrophically on rare occasions.

My guess is that a root method via JB will be a while; as others have noted, when there's a workaround, the urgency on the part of the developers is minimized.

Upvote 0
I didn't want to wait any longer and used the instructions from this thread:
http://androidforums.com/razr-hd-maxx-hd-all-things-root/677760-root-keep-root-ics-jb.html
The link to the XDA forum is in there also.

It wasn't a big deal to me to wipe the phone.

I moved everything onto my sdcard, backed up contacts, checked my apps list in Play so I could reinstall from there, and then went for it. Also, I REMOVED my sdcard before I started to ensure it didn't accidentally get wiped.

Upvote 0
it's not the ease factor, it's the wiping all data and then having to set it all up again factor.

Yeah, I had to make that choice. It wasn't so hard for me as it was mostly just data for me. Not a lot of apps to configure.

Still... I was able to get wifi tether to work with my legacy unlimited data plan and no subscription check... on JB ... without having to do the SQL tweak. :D

Worth it for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones