Root razr maxx hd

1. tiny476

tiny476 New Member

ok guys i am definitely not as tech savy as alot of you so can someone please give me some dummy proof step by step instructions on how to root my MAXX HD please? THANKS!!

Advertisement
  2. Xelios

Xelios Well-Known Member

It's actually very simple, with the condition that you haven't updated to Jelly Bean. If you have, you're pretty much screwed unless you wish to go through the process of fastbooting (resets your system to Ice Cream Sandwich, wipes user data). Assuming you're still on ICS, take a look at this thread and it's all there.

EDIT: To check if you're on jelly bean or ICS, hit settings and about phone. If Android version is at 4.0.xxx, then you're on ICS. If it's 4.1.xxx then you're on Jelly Bean. Thought it might be worth telling you how to check incase you didnt know.
  3. tiny476

tiny476 New Member

I'm version 4.1.1, so how do I make it root like this?
  4. tiny476

tiny476 New Member

I tried using that thread you posted and I couldn't get the phone to vibrate indicating a bug report was sent.
  5. Xelios

Xelios Well-Known Member

If you're on 4.1.1 it won't work unfortunately. You'll have to fastboot back to ICS, root there, update it, use rootkeeper, and then install Jelly Bean. Fastbooting involves deleting all user data from the phone though, all apps you've downloaded, any accounts you've set up on your phone, contacts, etc. It's like the phone was the day you opened it. Are you willing to do that? I can walk you through the steps if you'd like.
  6. tiny476

tiny476 New Member

Has anything changed on this yet?
  7. n0m0n

n0m0n Well-Known Member

I am hoping to know this as well.
    I was rooted and thought I was successful with rootkeep, but I must have messed something up because it didn't work for me

I was told a few weeks ago to wait if I did not want to loose everything that there would be a root process but to date I have not read of anything.
    Thanks
  8. Xelios

Xelios Well-Known Member

Nothing as of yet, unfortunately. As far as I've even heard, nobody is working on a root process for JB.
  9. ergon

ergon New Member

Oh........I think they will. They went to a lot to get this far.
  10. n0m0n

n0m0n Well-Known Member

IT sounds to me that they already feel they satisfied rooting this device.
    I think they feel wiping your device downgrading to ICS and then upgrading back to JB is there work around.
    I was hoping that they would work a root process for those who are already on JB without the downgrade.
  11. angelfire710

angelfire710 New Member

i would like instructions on how to do this please.
  12. Xelios

Xelios Well-Known Member

Soon I imagine there will be a process now. They found a root method for JB on the original RAZRs recently, so I believe this model isn't too far away now.
  13. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

oh sweet baby carrots I hope so
  14. spew101

spew101 Well-Known Member

Any update on this? Not root method while the phone is on JB?
  15. New Rising

New Rising Well-Known Member

Nope, are you rooted on ics right now?
  16. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

can't say I've ever seen it take this long to exploit. either google buried that isht or folks don't care enough to try.
  17. spew101

spew101 Well-Known Member

I am not rooted on ICS. I did the upgrade to JB as soon as I got the phone, assuming their would be a root method. Then I realized that going back to ICS would wipe the phone, which I did not feel like doing. So I was just hoping a root method would be available through JB.
  18. Xtensageorge

Xtensageorge Member

The process of fastbooting back to ICS isn't all that difficult; the utility suggested on xda-forums works quite well.

You will need to back up your device; move your photos and music and other stuff you want to save to your PC first. Sync your contacts, email, calenders, etc. It's a bit of a pain, in that you need to make sure you've saved everything, and you have to restore your setup afterwards. But it's not impossible. And you should have everything backed up anyway; sdcards can and do fail catastrophically on rare occasions.

My guess is that a root method via JB will be a while; as others have noted, when there's a workaround, the urgency on the part of the developers is minimized.
  19. Droidin

Droidin Active Member

I didn't want to wait any longer and used the instructions from this thread:
    http://androidforums.com/razr-hd-maxx-hd-all-things-root/677760-root-keep-root-ics-jb.html
    The link to the XDA forum is in there also.

It wasn't a big deal to me to wipe the phone.

I moved everything onto my sdcard, backed up contacts, checked my apps list in Play so I could reinstall from there, and then went for it. Also, I REMOVED my sdcard before I started to ensure it didn't accidentally get wiped.
  20. Methos1979

Methos1979 Well-Known Member

Any more news or rumors on this? I'm dying to root my post-JB updated HD MAX!!!
  21. Xelios

Xelios Well-Known Member

Sadly no. I just got my replacement phone today and was hoping something had broken out. Gah, fastbooting to ICS is such a hassle to do this.
  22. Droidin

Droidin Active Member

It really was very easy to root.
  23. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

it's not the ease factor, it's the wiping all data and then having to set it all up again factor.
  24. Methos1979

Methos1979 Well-Known Member

I agree. I only want to root so I can have the ability to reboot and turn GPS on and off in programs created in Tasker. It's not worth having to rebuild from scratch for just those two things. At least not for me.
  25. Droidin

Droidin Active Member

Yeah, I had to make that choice. It wasn't so hard for me as it was mostly just data for me. Not a lot of apps to configure.

Still... I was able to get wifi tether to work with my legacy unlimited data plan and no subscription check... on JB ... without having to do the SQL tweak. :D

Worth it for me.