• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Root/recovery question

hittinboost

Lurker
Sep 19, 2014
Ok so I want to do a root (Towelroot), CWM, and a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod. I have a few questions. I've read several threads and it seems like mixed responses on how to achieve this.

1. In what order should I do this? Recovery first, then do a NANDROID backup, then root and install custom ROM? Or should I root first, then recovery, then ROM?

2. Should I flash the recovery with Odin or Heimdall? Does it matter?

3. I don't have an external SD, so after I do a NANDROID backup I'm assuming it'll save to internal SD. Should I leave that backup on there or move it to my PC? If I move it to my PC how can I access it in recovery mode should I ever restore back to it?

You have to root the phone first before you can install a custom recovery or do a Nandroid. Your Nandroid will get saved to your internal SD card. Leave it there to access it and make a habit of leaving at least one on your device. Copy and paste old ones to your PC.

Use Odin to flash anything as it is the PC software Samsung use, and its just easier.

May I suggest reading and understanding before any flashing is attempted? You really need to have some basic knowledge at the very least or you will be posting back here with problems.

Good luck. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones