• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT][RECOVERY]{Touch/Non-Touch} Optimus F7 FX1

chevanlol360

Android Expert
Oct 28, 2011
new york
Sup folks? this aint rocket science just follow the instructions and all should be good.

TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Requirements:

1. You must be running software version ZV5, to check go to Settings-> About Phone-> Software Information and check to see that Software Version says LG870ZV5. If you have a US Cellular Optimus F7 Disregard this message and continue:)

Root:
Go to settings in your phone and go to security and make sure "unknown Sources" is checked.
Download Framaroot.apk <-XDA link
Install it and select Gandalf exploit
When it says done reboot your phone you are now rooted

CWM
Download 2nd Init recovery

Download Whichever Recovery want Clockworkmod "Non-Touch" or Philz Recovery "Touch"
Install and Open it 2nd init recovery
Tap on "recovery apply"
When the popup says success
tap on reboot.
You are now in 2nd init recovery
Install zip and select from internal sdcard go to download and select the recovery you chose, if you downloaded cwm it will be called ZV5_CWM.zip if you downloaded Philz it will be called ZV5_PhilZ.zip. After you found it, flash it and reboot then if your phone booted fine shut it down and do the following.
hold volume button down DO NOT LET GO
hold Power button down DO NOT LET GO
wait until you see press power button to reboot into recovery screen
Press power button obviously lol
Ya got a custom recovery if it booted into it Now make a Nandroid backup.

Bugs:
Sometimes when you reach the screen to press power button to reboot into cwm the screen goes blank and the led home button flashes, just pull battery and try again it will work eventually.
DO NOT ALLOW ANY APPS TO AUTOMATICALLY BOOT YOU INTO CWM!!!!!! YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED. YOU HAVE TO BOOT INTO CWM MANUALLY WITH THE BUTTON METHOD IN ORDER NOT TO HAVE YOUR DATA WIPE

I'm a cwm noob. Could I brick my f7 by doing this?

There is always that possibility but it is not likely to happen if you follow the instructions exactly as they are written, and if you do brick, there is a method of going into Download Mode and restoring your Device like iPhone and iPod touch does. (Btw that guide is on this forum :D)

Reactions: Techlord
Upvote 0
There is always that possibility but it is not likely to happen if you follow the instructions exactly as they are written, and if you do brick, there is a method of going into Download Mode and restoring your Device like iPhone and iPod touch does. (Btw that guide is on this forum :D)

I did this and all seems well but how exactly do I know if it worked correctly?

Upvote 0
After telling me to press power to reboot, it said error but booted into cwm recovery. I rebooted the phone and everything looks good. Just want to make sure that everything went OK before I try installing the simplicity ROM.

The Error thing is normal, if you were able to successfully able to boot into CWM, your good to go, I recommend making backups with it whenever possible. Have fun :p

Reactions: Techlord
Upvote 0
Sup folks? this aint rocket science just follow the instructions and all should be good.

TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Root:
Go to settings in your phone and go to security and make sure "unknown Sources" is checked.
Download Framaroot.apk <-XDA link
Install it and select Gandalf exploit
When it says done reboot your phone you are now rooted

CWM
Download 2nd Init recovery
Also download PG's CWM
Install and Open it 2nd init recovery
Tap on "recovery apply"
When the popup says success
tap on reboot.
You are now in 2nd init recovery
Install zip and select from internal sdcard go to download and select the PG.cwm.zip flash it and reboot then if your phone booted fine shut it down and do the following.
hold volume button down DO NOT LET GO
hold Power button down DO NOT LET GO
wait until you see press power button to reboot into recovery screen
Press power button obviously lol
Ya got CWM if it booted into it Now make a Nandroid backup.

Bugs:
Sometimes when you reach the screen to press power button to reboot into cwm the screen goes blank and the led home button flashes, just pull battery and try again it will work eventually.
DO NOT ALLOW ANY APPS TO AUTOMATICALLY BOOT YOU INTO CWM!!!!!! YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED. YOU HAVE TO BOOT INTO CWM MANUALLY WITH THE BUTTON METHOD IN ORDER NOT TO HAVE YOUR DATA WIPE

I followed the instructions, I have root, I think, but when I hold down volume and power buttons it says FACTORY HARD RESET. So I must have done something wrong, no recovery. Need some help.

Upvote 0
Sorry, got distracted, I downloaded the files in the op, did not see an app. Have Supper SU, Framaroot, LTE/Vu2 Recovery(JB). don`t know what to do now.

Edit: Ok got into recovery, install zip from sdcard. Now don`t know what to do. These are my choices, apply/sdcard/update.zip,toggle signature verification,choose zip from external sdcard. If I choose apply/sdcard/update.zip I get Install /sdcard/update.zip. should I do that? I don`t see PG.cwm.zip.

Upvote 0
I got it, it was under downloads. Got into recovery using power button and volume button. Now should I backup on external or internal sdcard, does it matter?

Edit: Backed up to external. Thanks for all your help.

external is always better, just in case you accidentally wipe the internal sdcard.

Reactions: slymike123
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones