• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root. Round 2.

So last night I learned some interesting lessons. Today, I am taking this one step at a time and doing this right.

I have the phone in debugging mode, ran the StartRoot.exe.

Waiting for that to do it's magic, then I need to get Clockwork on the phone using Rom Manager. After this, I am at a blank.

So.

Question 1. What Rom would you guys suggest?

Question 2. I have heard a lot of talk about Voodoo and CyanogenMod. Can anyone explain to me what these are, and what they do?

Forget all that up there ^

So. I have figured out a lot in the last 30 minutes.

First and foremost, I need to admit that I am a dumbass and just should have listened to you guys instead of going lone ranger.

Second, Thanks a lot to all of you guys. Without your help, and sometimes just letting me do it myself, I would be nowhere on rooting.

I am now running DL09!

Upvote 0
Problem.

Does anyone know why, when I installed DL09, the Superuser.apk, as well as ROMmanager are now gone? I am thinking it unrooted my phone when I flashed the DL)( through Odin.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news after your root work, but you did unroot if you used odin to push dl09. I thought I told you that last night but I may not have..

Upvote 0
Yeah many solve the bloat issue by flashing a rom (adryn has a super clean dl09) but others manually do it....just remember to avoid touching anything related to google apps

Yea I recommend you root again, install clockwork again, and flash a debloated rom. Flashing the debloated rom is a lot less risky and the route I personally took.

Upvote 0
Just as an update to everyone. DL09 fixed almost ALL of my problems with this phone!

GPS locks on in less than 5 seconds. There is a decent speed improvement, but the build I have still has all the damn bloat on it. There is a new nifty little icon at the status bar for GPS which looks pretty bangerang.

I have heard of people talking about removing Bloat from their builds. This is my next research project. Thanks again for those that helped me out.

Upvote 0
Just as an update to everyone. DL09 fixed almost ALL of my problems with this phone!

GPS locks on in less than 5 seconds. There is a decent speed improvement, but the build I have still has all the damn bloat on it. There is a new nifty little icon at the status bar for GPS which looks pretty bangerang.

I have heard of people talking about removing Bloat from their builds. This is my next research project. Thanks again for those that helped me out.

the new icons are the e911 location icons (i pull them out of the themes) :)

Upvote 0
GPS is running great! All apps functional, calls are good, messaging running as normal.

Now...

Me and this bloat is going to have a chat as soon as I figure out how to get rid of it.

Yea either get rid of the bloat by flashing a new rom or freezing it with Titanium Backup Premium or Bloat Freezer, whatever you do DO NOT DELETE/UNINSTALL it or you will NOT be able to get OTA updates in the future without restoring each one you delete!

Upvote 0
Yea either get rid of the bloat by flashing a new rom or freezing it with Titanium Backup Premium or Bloat Freezer, whatever you do DO NOT DELETE/UNINSTALL it or you will NOT be able to get OTA updates in the future without restoring each one you delete!

but really....who needs otas???....i havent ever taken on an android device...and this is my 3rd :D

Upvote 0
I am inclined to agree here. The Devs seem to give us what we want without 5000 complaints. The devs are guys and gals just like us. Customers who want the best out of their hardware.
:DYes and no. Customers who want the best out of their hardware absolutely. But the like us part, no ;) if I was like them I'd be doing this too and I'd have given us gingerbread already but alas Im a humble pee-on :(

All jokes aside your point is well taken :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones