• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Root S5 so Apps can Write to SD Card

neil154

Android Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2011
Charlottesville, VA
I have a Verizon S3 and will probably upgrade to a Verizon S5 but I am concerned about rooting (rooted my S3). When I upgrade to S5 I will want to root so that I can use the SD Card for apps to write to (Don't care where apps are installed but need apps to write to SD Card). So I would like to know how root the S5 and then I would like to know how I then get the normal OTA upgrades (do I need to unroot and if so how do I do it)?

Thanks for your help and advise.

Here's a good guide for you:
[GUIDE] [Updated] Safely Upgrade and Root (N… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forums

That's what I used to root my new S5. For a non-rooted, new phone, you can skip steps 1 and 2. I did the process from my unrooted, NI2 OTA phone.

There is another thread in there about how to unrestrict the external SD card writing issue. I did not do that for a couple of reasons. First, if you do system level changes like that, OTA's won't take in the future. You'd have to likely do a factory reset to OTA. Second, I figure I need to get used to this "new normal" on Android, as much as I hate it. Apps can write to the external card, they just need to be coded/setup correctly to do so, from my understanding. So I figure the issue will go away over time.

Upvote 0
Here's a good guide for you:
[GUIDE] [Updated] Safely Upgrade and Root (N… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forums

That's what I used to root my new S5. For a non-rooted, new phone, you can skip steps 1 and 2. I did the process from my unrooted, NI2 OTA phone.

There is another thread in there about how to unrestrict the external SD card writing issue. I did not do that for a couple of reasons. First, if you do system level changes like that, OTA's won't take in the future. You'd have to likely do a factory reset to OTA. Second, I figure I need to get used to this "new normal" on Android, as much as I hate it. Apps can write to the external card, they just need to be coded/setup correctly to do so, from my understanding. So I figure the issue will go away over time.

In my case the ONLY reason I really want to root is because I need to room on the SD card for my apps to write to. Without the SD Card room I would not have enough memory.

Upvote 0
You will have that option after rooting. And I can understand the need.

The reason I rooted was to be able to run Ad Away and TiBu. I also liked a system hack on my S4 that turns off the home button from waking the phone. But I won't install it on my S5 since that will break my ability to do an easy OTA update down the road, and I can live w/o the hack.

Upvote 0
My understanding of the reason why is that a change that actually changes a system level object is "seen" by Android, where just running an app that requires root auth is not (unless the app makes a system object change, I suppose). Android notes from that point on that the system is no longer stock. So when an OTA comes along, it checks to make sure the system is stock before allowing the update. If it's not, it won't take. So then you have to do a factory reset to get it back to stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones