Root Status Update

Last Updated:

1. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I finally got 2.01 back onto my phone. It took a new version of RSD lite running as an admin to get it to work.. Now, I want to root this bad boy and install bugbless beast, where can I read up on how to install custom roms?

Advertisement
  2. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member

The sticky's.

3. Haywire

Update on the Update: I'm now ROOTED!! and running droidmods rom for now, untill I read up on how to install custom roms.. I Want this puppy running something like Buglessbeast or.. Something! What would be a good first custom rom for me to load, where can I get it and how do I go about doing it? WOOOOHOO!! ROOT!

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, a good full featured, stable and fast ROM is NexBeast 1.0
    http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/71752-themed-rom-nexbeast-v1-0-blazing-fast.html

A bonus is the wonderful support by Fab (the developer) who resides in this forum. Your questions will always be answered.

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

glad to hear you finally got root Haywire.

Haywire likes this.
  6. King_Bean

King_Bean Well-Known Member

7. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

+1...I agree. Fab will help out if you have questions. The ROM is blazing fast and adds a few features not included in Bugless Beast V1.0. Great ROM!

8. Haywire

Thanks, wouldnt have it today without your help! So, how hard is it from where I am now to install the custom roms? Do I need to use RSD lite to do it or is it a different process?

9. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

Just get ROM Manager from the Market. That makes switching ROMs and kernels a breeze.

10. Haywire

I just downloaded that, but its saying something abotut needed ClockWorkMod flashed? Do I have to do this? Also, once I do do this, do I need to download that zip file onto my phone and how do I go about doing it? (I'm talking the zip file for Nex1)

okay I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I just tried downloading the zip file direct to my phone but it wont work because it says its not supported.. So how do I get it onto my phone so I can flash to it, and then what do I do using Rom Manager?

Edit 2: Another question,How will i know if it loads the custom rom correctly? Where on the phone will it show me? i'm guessing settings/about phone? I am attempting to flash the rom now.

Thanks all.

11. johninbigd

If you want to use ROM Manager, you have to flash the ClockworkMod Recovery. After that, you just go to Download ROMs and select a ROM or kernel.

I'm a total noob to this, so be careful. :) The only ROM I've used is CyanogenMod. I don't think Nexbeast is available from ROM Manager, but ROM Manager does have the option to install a ROM from your SD card. I haven't tried that, though, so I can't give you any advice in that regard.

12. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

John is correct you need ClockworkMod with RomManager. You can always flash back to SPRecovery if you want right from RomManager (it is the Flash Alternate Recovery option), but I don't see why you would want to Clockwork is IMHO the best recovery out there.

The best advise I can give you is to get to know the back up feature of RomManager. Become comfortable with booting into recovery (holding x while pressing the power button when the phone is off) and just experiment. As long as you have a Nandroid (this is quite simply a full image of your phone in the current state when you make a backup in RomManager) then you are golden. It really is hard to break and the good folks here can pretty much talk you through any problems that a rise.

Good luck and enjoy, trust me you are gonna love it!

13. Haywire

Ska, how can I check to see if the new roms is what im running? i thought I would be able to tell easily, but I'm a noob so not sure. I think it worked though, because I had to go through android set up again after it rebooted. I chose the nex1 overclocked to 1.2, but again, not really sure if I did it right or not..

14. johninbigd

Go to your phone settings and look. Settings -> About Phone.

15. Haywire

Well the kernel version is showing as 2.629compcache06_unoinfs253-shoels-omap1-hg383baebcbdirty but I dunno what that means..

16. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Go into Settings>About Phone... You should be able to see the name of the ROM you are running in there... :)

17. Haywire

Well it just says droid mod 1.0.. Does this mean im still running droidmod? smh.. I thought nex1 loaded right..

18. Haywire

Well i just tried loading cynonagen or however you spell it using rom manger and my phone just booted up again, its doing droid and the robot thing over and over.. How do I fix this guys?

I'm just re-flashing SPR onto it, we will see if this works.

19. johninbigd

You flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and then downloaded and applied CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2?

Did you do a backup first?

20. Haywire

Uh, no.. Back up of what? I didn't think I would need to..

21. shrink57

Make sure you chose the option to wipe the system and data when installing a different ROM.

22. Haywire

Okay. I've got a question, since I have to re-root and start over. Is there a way I can just flash my phone right to nex1 rom without using droid mod first?

23. Haywire

Well Guys I started over from square one and It's now rooted and running cyanogenmod-5.062 for now, I will upgrade to rom manager pro here soon so I can load some other roms on it. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME!!! I'm pretty confident in my root abilities now thanks to all of you!!!!

24. shrink57

Rom Manager is a great tool but do yourself a big favor and learn to do your flashing and other modifications old school:

http://androidforums.com/all-things...-s-everything-root-related-updated-2-1-a.html

There will come a time when ROM Manager does not cut it for you and at least you will be comfortable with a plan B to get your phone up and running.