• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT] Steps to root the Huawei Mercury

PlayfulGod

Extreme Android User
Jan 28, 2011
NW Georgia
unleashedprepaids.com
here this may help, has pix etc to help you see whats done:

Article : How to Root Any Android Device Manually

I have put together a zip to run the adb commands for you. The part done in download mode via a nix live cs/usb with nautilus tho I cant make easier for u. Its about like moving things around in windows tho with the gui.

Mercury-Root.zip

Just download the zip to your PC, unzip and run the appropriate install for your OS (windows-install.bat for Windows and linux-install.sh for Linux)

You will need the drivers for the Mercury installed and USB Debugging enabled on your phone and if there is a internet connection option when connecting usb.

And again, this only does the first part that pushes the files to the phone n sets permissions.

This is from the guide I found, all credit goes to its author. All I've done thus far is create some scripts for those not to cmdline savvy. ;)

Requirements and rooting process

Requirements and rooting process

• Your pitiable unrooted Android device
  • ADB drivers for your device installed on your pc (I used WinXP. You may use Win 7/Vista or the Linux distro of your choice)
  • su, busybox, Superuser.apk (included in the zip posted in the OP)
  • A working linux distro with Nautilus (I used a live usb stick of Ubuntu 11.04)
  • Strength, courage and whatever makes you a man according to Emerson.

Rooting Process

To start, you must have adb installed on the OS of your choice.
I used my trusty WinXP system.

To confirm your device is properly detected, in the command prompt, run
Code:
adb devices
Now copy busybox, su, superuser.apk to /data/local/tmp/ using adb.

Code:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp adb push su /data/local/tmp adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp
2.png

Now run adb shell

Code:
adb shell
Note that you see a "$" sign in the command prompt. That means you are not rooted.
Next run the following commands in the shell to change permissions and get some limited privileges for the Superuser files:

Code:
chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox chmod 644 /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
Note that the names of the files are case sensitive.

3.png

Done?
Turn off your Android device using the power button.

Now you need to reboot your system into a Linux distro which has Nautilus.
Android and Linux, having a similar heritage, makes it possible for us to get root access over the Android phone if you are running with root privileges within Linux. I used an Ubuntu 11.04 Live USB disk to save the hassle of installing another os.

When you have booted into Linux, open up terminal and type:
Code:
sudo nautilus
This would open up the Nautilus file browser with root privileges.

Now put your Android device into Download mode.
For Spice MI-410/Huawei Ideos X6/CherryMobile Magnum HD/Wellcom A99 the method is to hold down the Volume up button and simultaneously turn on the phone using the power on switch.

Once in download mode, connect the Android device using the microusb cable to the computer.
Now using the open Nautilus window, navigate to /UserData/local/tmp/ folder and verify that you have the files you sent to the device viz. su, busybox and Superuser.apk

Move/cut-paste su and busybox to /system/bin/ using Nautilus.
Move/cut-paste Superuser.apk to /system/app/ using Nautilus.

Now pull out the battery from your Android device.
I swear, this was the most tedious part on my MI-410 which has such a crappy back cover.

Now simply turn on your device.
You must now have root.

Verify by running:
Code:
adb shell su
You'll note that the "$" prompt will turn into a "#" and you'll be prompted by a Superuser permission notification on your
device

4.png

You have now completed your initiation brethren.
Welcome to the root club.

5.jpg

Disclaimer:
For all purposes, consider that your warranty will be void if you follow these steps

I am not responsible for any loss, monetary or otherwise arising as a result of this article.
If you don't feel up to it, quit now and close this web page.

I must assert that although I am aware of no reason why this should not work on *any* Android device, phone or tablet, I have only tested this on my Spice MI-410 crossflashed with the leaked CherryMobile MagnumHD Gingerbread 2.3.4 firmware.

I have tried to explain it in the easiest way I can, but I must state here that this is by no means an easy task and you must persevere. If you can't follow the steps to the letter, its better you don't follow them at all and wait for a single click app for this or a custom rooted firmware.
He conquers who endures.

Upvote 0
???? Suppose I rooted the mercury with this method, will I be able to change it back to the state of un-root. For warranty reasons etc. Would it be like the z4root was as far as permanent and temporary. I know it wont give you the option, but will I be able to do it manually by removing the new code that was pushed thru adb command
you could use nautilus to remove su, busybox, and superuser.apk to unroot.

til there is another method anyhow

Reactions: ciabatoni
Upvote 0
Thanks PlayfulGod! I saw a similar method somewhere else, but I like the way you write things. ;]

I am buying this phone today, will you be working on developing for this phone? Somehow I doubt Cricket will be updating it to ICS...

no need to worry abt. ICS update as ICS Alpha is already out for huawei honour, the gsm version of mercury.. so the only thing you need to do is updating the ril_radio in order to use carrier services & it will be ready to use...

Upvote 0
no need to worry abt. ICS update as ICS Alpha is already out for huawei honour, the gsm version of mercury.. so the only thing you need to do is updating the ril_radio in order to use carrier services & it will be ready to use...

I know about this release, and I know that the differences are GSM and the 2MP FFC. I also think the GPU might be different, not sure.

So are you certain that this would work? Also wouldn't you be better off having CWM just in case?

Upvote 0
I know about this release, and I know that the differences are GSM and the 2MP FFC. I also think the GPU might be different, not sure.

So are you certain that this would work? Also wouldn't you be better off having CWM just in case?

CWM Recovery is the most important thing for the start of development...

GPU is same Adreno205 but mercury is having new drivers from qualcomm in gingi build, but huawei also updated honour gpu drivers in ICS update, as honour is their flagship phone for atleast 6-8 months untill some next big beast hits up the market...

also i saw that mercury don't have fm radio, but it can be easily ported from honour Roms...

Upvote 0
All fellows Just wait till Someone port CWM Recovery, yes this root method is little complicated & not for all..
once there will be a cwm recovery port all things
would gonna be easy for all...

I just want to know from you guys..
if you can access rom static partition of phone by computer
while its connected in download mod by usb...

if so then you can get the stock (recovery.img) from there & then porting cwm mod would be easy..
& when we have ported cwm we could simply replace the stock(recovery.img) with ported CWM(recovery.img)...
& can easily root then by flashing a simple update.zip

Upvote 0

GPU is same Adreno205 but mercury is having new drivers from qualcomm in gingi build, but huawei also updated honour gpu drivers in ICS update, as honour is their flagship phone for atleast 6-8 months untill some next big beast hits up the market...

also i saw that mercury don't have fm radio, but it can be easily ported from honour Roms...
The Mercury has the FM radio right in the app drawer. (and it is LOUD!) (almost too loud)

Upvote 0

The huawei mercury does have FM Radio, altleast my phone came preloaded with FMRADIO...

Upvote 0
Maybe an explanation of how to set up the linux distro would be helpful...I am confident enough to try this method but know nothing of linux.

You don't even have to install it, although I would highly suggest switching. You can run Ubuntu Linux from a USB stick or CD. (If you choose to install it later, the installer is simple. If you've installed Windows before then you can install Linux. You may want to read up on partitioning if you only have one harddrive and/or are already dual-booting.)

The best option would be to use a USB stick, although it is just as easy to burn a CD. But I feel its a waste of a good CD-R. A 1GB USB stick is more then enough. The ISO is just under 700MB.

Go to Ubuntu's website, click "Get Ubuntu" and choose "Try it from a CD or USB stick". Choose 10.04 LTS (11.10 is harder to get to Terminal and is all eyecandy, IMO).

USB STICK: Download a program called Unetbootin from Sourceforge. You will need to format the USB stick to FAT (right-click on the USB drive in My Computer, choose Format) and then use Unetbootin to write the ISO of Ubuntu to the USB stick. Reboot, and boot to the USB device (your BIOS must support this and you may have to go in to change settings to boot from USB).

CD: Burn the Ubuntu ISO to the blank CD. There are various free programs to do this. Burn the ISO to the CD as Bootable if given the option. Then boot from the CD (also may require you to change boot settings in BIOS or select boot menu at start up).

Once you boot to the USB or CD just choose "Try Ubuntu without installing" and then you'll be in. Terminal is located in the menu bar at the top under Applications > System Tools.

Sorry if this is kinda ruff, I'm on my friend's Windows7 machine right now. Ubuntu has an AMAZING forum community for help and I could do my best to try to help as well (10.04/10.10 only).

Upvote 0
Ok guys I got it!!!!!I followed the steps above to a T, but added a few things for it to work. If you notice the Nautilus terminal fails or says crazy stuff when you plug your phone in ( in download mode vol + & - and pwr ), unplug phone, close terminal. Open it back up and type sudo -s. Then open again type sudo nautilus. I then copied files to /system/bin and system/app. Ok I also changed Superuser to read and write ( it was on just read ) and checked box that said allow to run as program or something. I unpluged, pulled batt., rebooted, then downloaded a virtual terminal and typed su. The $ turned to # and then SuperUser asked for permission! If this newb cracked this thing you guys can too. Thanks for all your guys help. Thanks to all. Oh if you get stuck page through the article posted earlier

Upvote 0
nitindeck just said he didn't need the ROM dump anymore... I still plan to do it for the experiance.

I'm on my friend's Win7 machine and after installing too much crud and trying to access the phone using Ubuntu on VirtualBox I give up. It doesn't see it when I do "fdisk -l" but shows in the USB list (lsusb]. I tried a method of trying to get it to work, and of course I had the USB device go to Vbox when I booted Ubuntu. I even unplugged it and plugged it back it a few times.

I'm was about half way to rooting it and I have to get up in 5 hours to go to work. I'll resume this tomorrow when I get home to my good old linux box. *sigh* Now to uninstall Java, SDK, and Vbox.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones