root stock Dinc so I can revert to original firmarew/out ota

Last Updated:

1. rt2

rt2 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've got a stock, unrooted Dinc w/ the ota update. I want to get back to the original firmware w/out the ota.

adrynalyne has kindly provided me w/ information on how to unroot my Dinc and get back to the stock original firmware. I understand that I need to root my phone, then unroot in order to get to the original firmware.

I've never rooted a phone before, and am not interrested and using the root, I'm only looking for the easiest, quickest way (for a dummy like me) to root so that I can immediatly unroot it and get back to the stock firmware

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Just replied in the Hboot thread and then found this one. :D

Here's the steps:

Download SDK:
    Android SDK | Android Developers

Extract to the root of your computer's C drive. Doesn't have to be there but it'll be easier to follow Diego's new vid since that's where he puts his (great timing for your situation that he just posted it). That's all you need to do for now with SDK.

Now dowload the Unrevoked bundle:
    unrevoked for Incredible

This is how you'll actually root the phone. In the download bundle, there is an internet link. Open it and follow the instructions for loading and installing the unrevoked driver. Then follow the instructs in the thread to actually install the unrevoked exe to your phone. It's just a simple double click and it loads.

Now to verify root, I would recommend going into the market and installing a root app such as Incredilight. IncrediLight - Android app on AppBrain

If it loads and works properly, i.e. uses the camera's LED's as a flashlight, then you are successfully rooted and ready to move to the next step.

So the next step is to follow Diego's new video:
    http://androidforums.com/all-things...ideo-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html

We are now talking about the 2nd video he posted along with the download he provided underneath that vid. Follow that and you should get back to original stock in it's entirety.

Note: The reason for installing the SDK in the beginning is that you will need it for some adb push commands when you get to this video. He includes those commands in a txt file in the download. The only place I could imagine you getting hung up is if you are entirely unfamiliar with the command prompt. If you need help knowing what to type to get to the SDK Tools folder to push the commands, repost and somebody will post them up.

INCREDIBLE-HULK and GrandMasterB like this.
  3. rt2

Thanks so much....I'll give it a try.

4. rt2

Well I'm now trying to get the code entered for in the command window before running the PB31IMG.zip file and have run into a snag that being I don't know much about the command window..

(adb push flash_image /data)
    (adb push mtd0.img /dat

Both go through fine, but when I type:

(adb shell) and press enter my next line of code starts w/ :

(~#) upon my typing (chmod 777 /data/flash_image) I get:

(~#) again.

Qwick question:
    1. Is the (~# ) correct and if not how do I get past it to enter the remaining code?
    2. Do I just continue to type the remaining code after the (~#)?
    3. After rebooting, what volume do I type the (fastboot devices after? C:\ or C:\sdk\tools?

I obviously don't know much if anything about using the command window. Any help would be appreciated. I think I'm almost there.