Root Suggestions...

Last Updated:

1. majorpay

majorpay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It appears I am getting my replacement in another day or so, so...

I almost hate to post this as I know that everyone asks the same question, but everyone has their individual needs, and mine are here:

1. I want to access protected apps in the market.
    2. I want navigation (including the voice navigation).

Aside from that, I'd like it to be quick and have minimal to no force closes or random reboots (crazy talk, I know :eek::D). I could care less about sense and what not, because I actually prefer Launcher Pro, but am open to other ideas...

As far as the dialer is concerned, I kind of like the stock dialer, but the lag and accidental hang-ups when accessing the numbers post dial is kind of a PITA (when the screen goes black and you hit the power button, it sometimes hangs up, perhaps the stupid thing should just stay on?). I also find the fact that it doesn't list all my contacts by default, but manages to list everyone from FaceBook's numbers (no idea why this is).

I'd prefer the A2SD functionality, and am interested in getting to the root prompt to see what kind of damage a noob can do to this thing.

Anyhow, sorry for the request, I know how much people can get worked up about duplicate posts, but it's kind of why I'm on a forum... For open discussion.

I did manage to track down a thread for when I get to the mystical voodoo stuff involved in this process: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/86448-getting-replacement-eris-root-questions.html so I shouldn't need too much of a rehash on that...

I typically use FTP for transferring all my files, and I have not loaded the SDK on my system yet (or even ever docked the unit before)...

And MMS would be important I think...

Advertisement
  2. jeffyo

jeffyo Well-Known Member

Just stick to your eris based ROMs and you can find one that either has sense or not. I like sense so I've been using Sense-able 3.1 and like it a lot so far. It's fast with OC 710mhz.

With root you can download a bunch of them and try them all out in a day. I would just play with them...it's real easy to switch between builds, especially with nandroid backup.

majorpay likes this.
  3. majorpay

majorpay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks... I've been looking at the Sense-able one and based on my requirements, I think it's going to be a close match.

I've started reading about the Eris based vs. non, and it seems you're spot-on if you don't want to lose some basic functionality (i.e. MMS).