Last Updated:

1. Dioky

Dioky Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    FitzysX10 likes this.
  2. AndrizzleHD

AndrizzleHD Well-Known Member

Thanx
    To this day I still don't know why I would need to root my phone. The only thing which entices me is the root apps. I mean, I am not sure if the root-only apps are something I will need. Other than that I could care less if I can control the system and what not.

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I don't know if Phases normally waits for full root access, but I've mentioned this somewhere he should see it. Eventually you're going to need an 'All Things Root' section in here :)

I'll add it to the guide sticky too.

4. Dioky

Dioky Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

Well, try AdFree for example.

Regards,

5. mobuksh

mobuksh New Member

Damn, can't get the Desire HD now - I won't buy a device that can't be rooted. The simple reason being that you can't upgrade the OS as you desire - no pun intended. This is especially pressing with gingerbread around the corner - looks like I should just buy a cheap prepaid android until then. Sigh.

6. mobuksh

mobuksh New Member

Will wait till early next year before finalising a decision - might get the new Samsung 'Google phone.'

7. fatjames

fatjames Well-Known Member

Could you give us a nice list of things that can be done with a temp root. Eg, can we install root only apps? and will they still work after the phone has been restarted?

FJ

8. Lalaland

Lalaland Well-Known Member

I used this app and once rooted I installed Titanium Backup Pro. My handset's now safely backed up on my PC and I've also used TBP to remove a couple of apps that were included on my Desire HD from HTC that I didn't want but couldn't get rid of before (Soundhound and Amazon MP3 store). More resources for me, less bloatware :D

As for if the apps will work when you reboot, the rooting app can be set to do the process on each reboot, so yes they will work because your phone will be rooted on each reboot.

Another benefit of being rooted was getting full features on a cache clearing app. My DHD has had the odd occasional slow down and 3 freezes in the week that I've owned it. I've discovered this was down to the cache building up and having my handset rooted has allowed me to set my cache clearing options as I want them meaning it never slows down.

There's 2 good reasons to root ;)

gmmamin and fatjames like this.
  9. mcnob

mcnob Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on what app and settings you use for that cos I tried a cache cleaner once and it screwed me right up.

Also, does the root access remain until you switch off/reboot then?

10. fatjames

mcnob

By the sounds of it, although perm root is not accessed, there are settings to run the app at start up.

@Lalaland. Thank you very much for this info. Good work.

FJ

11. Lalaland

I use Quick App Clean Cache and so far no problems at all. It works for both root and non-rooted handsets, but has more features on rooted handsets. I'm really pleased with it, especially the widget display on the homepage.

Since installing this I've had no slow downs at all on my DHD of which I had several in the first few days of owning it before I installed this. Like I said before, more than likely down to a poorly written app causing cache issues so it may not affect everyone.

What problems did you have with a cache cleaner in the past by the way?

Yes. Once it's rooted it remains rooted until you turn the handset off. When you turn the handset off and then back on it returns to it's old self, unless you set this app to run on boot which is an option available in it's UI. The choice is yours.

mcnob likes this.
  12. mcnob

mcnob Well-Known Member

Well aren't you a credit to the community?!?! Seems to me a simple yes or no would have taken less effort.

Thanks to Lalaland though. Can't recall the exact issue I had, just remember it did more harm than good. Lol

fatjames likes this.
  13. fatjames

Mcnob, appogogies. I was bang out of order.

FJ

14. mcnob

mcnob Well-Known Member

Fair enough, we all have bad days.

15. paul5f

paul5f Well-Known Member

I've had a few problems with this temp root. It ran fine after downloading from market and I ran titanium backup and ad free which worked fine. I set visionary to run on startup but it always freezes my phone so now I run visionary every morning when I turn the phone on, however ad free no longer works even if I open it and re-download hosts.

16. fatjames

Ok, I think I'm in the same situation. Also, does adfree remove the adds from angry birds? as i'm still getting them.
    Any advice would be great.

FJ

17. Brewster0101

Brewster0101 Well-Known Member

Newbie question - if I use Visionary rooting programme , will I violate my warranty. I am looking at ways of removing/disabling pre-installed apps.

18. Xyro

Technically yes. But unless your phone were to actually break (i.e. so it can't turn on), you can always undo rooting before sending it for repair.

It's a very minor risk, but still a risk nonetheless.

EDIT: I removed your other post, since I've answered you here.

Brewster0101 likes this.
  19. Brewster0101

Brewster0101 Well-Known Member

Xyro, quick question for a short answer... What does Rooting actually do?

Is it like flashing a bios?

20. Lalaland

Short answer, it allows for more control over your handset by allowing you 'super user' access, giving your apps more functionality and allowing you to change some features of the handset that weren't previously possible under a non-super user or restricted account.

If you're a window user think of it as giving you Administrator rights :)

21. tc3121

tc3121 New Member

Newbie question - I use Visionary to root.now i got SUPERUSER icon but i do not understand what to next with SUPERUSER please help , step by step. thank . i'm new ANDROID.

22. Xyro

Superuser is an app that allows you to control which apps have root access.

Keeping with the windows analogy, superuser is the screen that pops up and says 'Are you sure you want to allow this program to do this?'.

You can just ignore it until using a root enabled app, at which point a SU pop up will ask you if you'll give it root access.

23. paul5f

paul5f Well-Known Member

My Desire was rooted and after downloading Adfree and setting it to update hosts daily it removed ALL ads from every app I had on my phone (including angry birds, infact I never realised angry birds had ads until I got the DHD), it was brilliant. Shame it won't work on my DHD with VISIONary.

fatjames likes this.
  24. bpowell81

bpowell81 Member

I got mine through Vodafone-I called them and told them I wanted an unlock code and they said fine..I should be receiving it within the next few days. This will allow me to receive updates directly from HTC

25. bpowell81

bpowell81 Member

I know this might be pressing, but is there are thread on here already that gives a step by step to root the DHD? is rooted the same as unlocked?