root then 2.0

Last Updated:

1. maddmatt02

maddmatt02 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 30, 2009
    I have read a few threads regarding rooting the hero. Im pretty sure Id have no problems going through the steps, but have a question I couldnt find a definite answer to in those threads.

once you root the phone, does that affect updates from sprint in anyway? when they finally release eclair, can I get it from sprint, or do I have to wait for someone to release a ROM thats basically sprints update that I can flash to the rooted phone?

2. pking

pking Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    If you want to keep root access, you'll need to wait for a ROM. I'd expect that someone will release the 'vanilla' update from Sprint/HTC modified only for root access, with everything else the same.

It's in Sprint / HTC's best interest to close any root-loopholes ASAP, and the coming bugfix release will probably do just that.

To better answer your question - the ROMs will likely remove or block the default updaters, so you won't get automatic updates from Sprint. You'll still be able to download and install the stock updates from Sprint/HTC directly, however, but again loading those will lose you the ability to root.

[edit for ephasis]
    Just to kick the point home, loading the stock updates from Sprint / HTC may lose you the ability to root your phone permanently.

Exactly this scenario happened on the Euro Hero, though they were able to get around the problem by 'downgrading' to an older firmware release and re-rooting. Likely we'll be able to do the same unless the signing mechanism gets changed (which is a possibility).