.... Root troubles (10 minute video made it look so easy)

Last Updated:

1. Hobo

Hobo Member This Topic's Starter

I'm a noob. lets get that out. ive followed step by step on the 10 minute video gone through it and i still can't get root, seams like i always get stuck at finding the device via cmd prompt. i went through two 2gb sandisk sd cards. and 1 pny 2gb card. ive tried every method including the click in click out the sd card. no luck. if someone can please tell me where im going wrong.

ive tried airplane mode
    disabled and enabled usb debugging
    reformated my sd cards
    running W7 64 bit
    ran cmd prompt in admin

im moving in a few weeks and i really need to get this thing rooted so i can *cough* wifi tether *cough* ehm...

please help

tomakwok@gmail.com
    hoboboxfun@hotmail.com
    or reply to post

Advertisement
  2. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

if you've already got the 2gb pny then thats one thing down, now make sure you have the correct drivers. make sure in device manager your phone is recognized, ignore where he says use htc sync i uninstalled it. i used the pdanet drivers along with the modified android drivers found on this forum. then the sd in and out method worked almost right away

3. mechinn

mechinn New Member

4. Hobo

Thanks guys. ive tried both of those. i already had pdanet installed since day one. i uninstalled and reinstalled htc sync. ive also done the click in click out deal on the card. ill try it with htc sync uninstalled.

ehh.... just did it.. same problems..

5. Hobo

oh goody another problem...

also all the other files to push won't because of permission denied.. >.>

6. Hanneman1011

Hanneman1011 Well-Known Member

@Hobo Try running the 1.bat file again and starting over. Sounds like the su didn't go through. I think that is why you are getting denied, Superuser is not allowing you to.

7. whewstoosae

whewstoosae Well-Known Member

Make sure you try to do an update from within recovery BEFORE you try pushing the files. That seems to open up the vulnerability inside the system.

8. Hobo

Alright so idk.. 6 hours of working on the phone i finely got it working.. i used the click in click out deal on the sd card for it to work.. for thoes who have trouble with it like i did. make sure you stop the loop.bat cmd. before you try the whole process again. maybe its just me but it seamed to work a hell of alot better.

as for another question. since im at it.. does wireless tether work the same as pdanet, as in it hides the fact that your tethering your phone to your comp?

9. whewstoosae

whewstoosae Well-Known Member

Congrats. And yes with the wireless tether app it's somewhat like pdanet but without having to be connected via USB. Plus, you can allow other wifi devices to use the connection. I just wouldn't abuse it.

10. Dahg

Dahg Well-Known Member

Just thought I would add my 2 cents for all those getting permission denied after entering adb shell and su..getting.$ and not #... maybe this will help someone....

BTW

I was doing this AFTER i successfully rooted and followed the 10 min video

I was trying to update the wireless N and was trying to adb shell and su (and add the commands for wireless N from the wireless N text file)

what I didnt understand was that after being in recovery mode , instead of trying to get into adb shell like the wireless N texfile says..what I should have been doing was following the original ROOT text file that tells you to run:

select the recovery option on the phone
    1.bat
    adb push payload-update.zip /sdcard/update.zip

that line above ... the adb push payload line.... has to be timed...to the second select run of the recovery option on the phone.. it has to be inserted right around when the verifying the update line shows on the phone... then it will execute the "new" hacked payload on the phone if timed right.....

and THEN

you can

adb shell
    su

and get the holy grail #

hope that helps someone.... it took me a while to get it... but now I can hit it everytime.....:D

thanks to all that helped with getting this progress this far!

11. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

1.bat
    adb push payload-update.zip /sdcard/update.zip

I'm still getting permission denied after following this - any further suggestions??? Please?

12. MaGaHi

MaGaHi Member

If u get permission denied - Hold VOL up and power - select updatw zip, the update will fail it's fine this should get card to be recognized. after that try the 1.bat again.

gadgetmom88 likes this.
  13. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

That worked perfectly. Thank you so much!