Root/Unlocked Bootloader Questions

Last Updated:

1. mohd4325

mohd4325 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,
    I have a Nexus One. I was following the instructions on installing the Desire ROM on it, but after Rooting and Unlocking the Bootloader, I stopped as I decided that I did not want to mess around any further. Now, my only question is, that will I still be able to receive OTA Firmware Updates for my Nexus One as and when Google releases them? I am currently on the latest firmware which enabled multi-touch.

Essentially, I would like to undo the Rooting and the Unlocking of the Bootloader, but I read online that the Bootloader part was not possible.

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

If you look on MoCaDo you'll find a complete ERD79 ROM which is what it shipped with, install that and you'll be where you want.

3. mohd4325

4. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Hang on a sec, re-reading your first post... have you actually done anything after the 'fastboot oem unlock' command?

If not, then you don't need to do anything as you've not altered the ROM on the system.

Ps. I'm just going on the 'don't understand what to do now' bit you just posted, as you'd need to have done similar (replace bootloader, flash a new ROM) to have rooted properly.

5. mohd4325

6. mohd4325

Just wanted to also mention that when I start up my phone a padlock icon comes at the bottom of the screen. I'm guessing that means I've unlocked the bootloader.

7. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

You've not rooted the phone, only unlocked the bootloader. Fear not, the stock operating system is unchanged and OTA updates in the future will work fine.

8. mohd4325

Not that I'm sure, but I think I have rooted my phone. I'm saying this because yesterday when my Nexus One was still stock, this program called "Torch" would not work as it said it needed me to "root" my phone. I installed the same program today and sure enough the LED now works as a flashlight. Am I still safe or is "Torch" now working because I did something else?

9. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Ah didn't think you gained root access unless you installed an image that supported it, learn something new everyday.

However, the stock image with it's certificates is still in place, so OTA updates should still work. They might remove your root access though.

If you're paranoid though, you can use the ERD79 image above to reflash the shipping OS. Since you've used fastboot before you should be able to do this easily.

you need to unzip the file above and type
    Code (Text):
    1. fastboot flash system system.img

10. mohd4325

I'm kinda really paranoid. I just want to go back to stock!

I downloaded the erd79 rom file which was in zip format. When i unzipped it I got some gzip file. I'm also using a mac. Now where and how do I type that code which you have mentioned above?

I'm really sorry for asking so many questions, but the thing is I was just following instructions when I was trying to install the Desire rom, I didn't actually know what I was doing as such. So when you ask me to reflash using fastboot, I know how to get to flashboot (turn off phone and then turn on keeping the ball pressed) but I don't know how to actually flash it with the erd79.

11. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

It should be .img files in the ERD79 file, perhaps GZip is the default application for them on the Mac?

You have to have your phone in fastboot via holding down the trackball, and have your phone connected to your Mac via USB.

You flash the image using the same files you downloaded to unlock the bootloader

12. mohd4325

Ok I've unzipped the file (had to do it on a windows computer). It has many .img files as stated below :

boot.img
    microp_Passion_Passion#C_LED_V0B15_88V_20091203.img
    Radio_1202_2_20091214_Signed_PASSION.img
    recovery.img
    spcustom.img
    splash1.img
    system.img
    userdata.img
    hboot_8x50_0.33.0012_091210.nb0

What do I do now? I've figured out how to run the fastboot using terminal :) but I don't know what files to install to restore my Nexus One to complete stock.

13. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you only need to flash the system.img one, as you've not changed anything.

Edit: Actually I'm still pretty sure you don't have to be doing any of this lol. Just your paranoia.

14. mohd4325

Haha. I know, I'm like that. But, thanks a lot for all the help you have given. I'll try out what you have suggested and will let you know how I've ended up.

15. mohd4325

No go dude. The padlock sign still shows up when I restart the phone. I guess once the phone is rooted/unlocked it cant be undone.

16. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

That is correct, it's permanently unlocked, but that's all that's changed. The O/S ontop of it is still stock.

17. ztmike

ztmike Well-Known Member

That's because you unlocked the boot loader..

So far this can't be undone..and yes you lost your phones warranty by doing this.

As far as being scared of rooting..there's honestly nothing to be scared about, its pretty hard to brick your phone unless you really screw up somehow.

And we do have a "root/hack" forum here
    All Things Root (Nexus) - Android Forums

18. mohd4325

Aah. I guess you all are right.

Either way, I learnt something in this journey. All this rooting taught me how to user Terminal, well somewhat. I actually took the plunge and installed the Desire ROM succesfully! I used it for a bit, but I actually prefer the stock better. Sense UI has too much going on IMO. Plus flash doesn't work in facebook videos and such, I guess it's limited to some purposes only. I'll just wait for flash to be officially added to the normal Nexus One firmware! Thanks for all the help you guys (especially Rusty!) have given. I really appreciate it.

19. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

No worries mate, sounds like you're on the right track now though :)