1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Root users - Don't pay for tether apps

Last Updated:

1. Raidersram

Raidersram Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am sickened by the dev in market trying to make money off something others developed, follow link and keep your money in your pockets!!! Its also in the market and FREE, wifi tether for root users

android-wifi-tether - Google Code

Advertisement
  2. Raidersram

No not really, parrothd at xda found out how to tether and this guy packaged it as his own. Not to say he didn't change some things, he developed a gui for it but thats about it. It is open source therefore its not illegal. I haven't tried the paid version so I can't speak on it but I'll take your word for it :)

3. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

Thank you for pointing that out, it is always good to know of alternative solutions, but why feel so threatened about this? Every developer has the right to market something and decide whether or not to charge for it, and the public have the right to pay or not. It is how markets work.

4. Raidersram

Oh im not threatened by it at all, just want people to know you dont have to pay for something thats available for free

5. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

I am all for open source, GPL and the Federation of Free Software but I have also worked the majority of my life for large software corporations and understand both sides of the coin

6. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

Is there a similar app for taking screen shots of your phone? Ive been meaning to take some now that im rooted.

7. Raidersram

Here is free version of screen shot

Attached Files:

8. webby

webby Member

I have an app called TetherWiFi that I downloaded free I believe off of the XDA developers site a month or two ago. I think I saw it was still there a few weeks ago. It works perfectly. My broadband connection at home was down for a time this morning so I was using that app to tether my laptop.

It was running impressively fast, so I ran a speedtest on my laptop while tethered to my G1 connected to T-Mobile 3G. I used Speedtest.net. I got download/upload speeds of 993/331 kbps.