• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Root] Venice Rooted - Details

Well, my first Venice as I reported in another Thread was having WiFi and 3G issues. I also noticed that my GPS wasn't working later (never use it) on. Boost got it working again after an ADVANCED TECH helped me with maybe 6 times. I finally gave up on it and returned it and got another one. After reading a review by I think PC Review I found that they gave it a 1.5 star out of 5 rating due to unreliable or spotty 3G and WiFi issues. When I traded it back in to Target (being only a couple month old release) the price dropped from $219 to $152!!! I wonder why it dropped so much so soon? I guess it's time to root this thing and see how it goes with this one. :dontknow:

Edit: New Venice rooted! Now to see how it goes. Anyone else have the problems I had with theirs?

Upvote 0
Just as an FYI to make it easier, no need to use CMD prompt. After unzipping to a folder, go to that folder and click on "Run Me". That starts the rooting process automatically.

Of course you still have to install the drivers and have USB debugging and install from unknown sources enabled, and the phone plugged in.

I did it this way and it rooted my Venice perfectly. (I have Super su and checked with Root Checker app).

Reactions: taintedlove13
Upvote 0
First, big thanks to MykeHawke. I followed the instructions he outlined in his 11/12/12 post and rooted my Boost Mobile LG Venice in seconds. I could never get the verification step (stuff\abd devices) to actually do what the post said it would but I was sure that all drivers were present and current and had verified that prior. Even without success on that one step, everything else in the post was spot on and made the process very easy to understand.

NOW FOR THE BEWARE:
I would add to the warning that MykeHawke ended his post with (again, thanks for the extra info). Deleting the pre-installed apps is definitely something I would avoid right now. I never touch the Google apps on any Android device but clearly LG has it's own boot quirks. After a week of use post-root, I did a full back-up (Titanium PRO) and then deleted only two apps: Boost Zone and the pre-installed Backup app. When I turned my phone off later that day and then powered up, SECURITY ERROR. I was able to get the phone into both download and recovery mode but it was of no help. In download mode the device was never read when connected via USB. Once in recovery mode, it never left it. Doing a full factory re-install just put the phone in endless cycle that never actually completed. I'm not sure which of the two app deletions caused the problem but there you have it.

I will say the phone was quirky right out of the box. Pre and post-root it would randomly shut down and re-boot on it's own with no rhyme or reason two or three times a day. Luckily, I purchased my Venice from Amazon and not only was I able to return the Venice, they shipped a replacement out immediately. The phone I returned was definitely a clunker from the start because the replacement was noticeably faster, more responsive and quirk free from the start. I re-rooted to access my back-up (kudos to Titanium...flawless restore) but I'm not touching a pre-installed app again.

Upvote 0
hey everybody, lurker-turned poster here with a question regarded rooting. I recently rooted my phone with the steps MykeHawke provided, and it worked exactly as stated. My apps and media were all still present, but when I tried to listen to music it wouldnt work. After trying to get a couple of songs to play it would skip to the next or show that the 3 minute song i was trying to listen to was 407 hours long.

My question is, how do I unroot my phone? When i tried using the program that i rooted with, it gives the option to unroot, but when i try it shows:

"/system/bin/sh: su: not found
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
you can close all open command-prompts now!
After reboot all is done! have fun!
bin4ry
press any key to continue" and thats it.

if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it :)

Upvote 0
hey everybody, lurker-turned poster here with a question regarded rooting. I recently rooted my phone with the steps MykeHawke provided, and it worked exactly as stated. My apps and media were all still present, but when I tried to listen to music it wouldnt work. After trying to get a couple of songs to play it would skip to the next or show that the 3 minute song i was trying to listen to was 407 hours long.

My question is, how do I unroot my phone? When i tried using the program that i rooted with, it gives the option to unroot, but when i try it shows:

"/system/bin/sh: su: not found
you can close all open command-prompts now!
After reboot all is done! have fun!
bin4ry
press any key to continue" and thats it.

if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it :)

I can't remember if you have Superuser or Superuser SU on rooted Venice. If you have Superuser SU you can go into it and there is an option to permanently unroot your phone. Not sure if Superuser has that option though. I did it and it worked fine for me.

The other option is to just download another music player from the Play Store. Have you tried that?

Upvote 0
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have followed this guide to the T, and when it asks me to restore the phone I must enter a password, I have not enabled a password for any encryption on this phone at all. I purchased the phone yesterday and still have yet to finish activating it. Never ran into a problem google search couldn't fix before, and for the above poster, the LG optimus V was 10x easier then this for me (minus the 6 billion additional steps necessary for the optimus)

Upvote 0
Like the above poster, I have followed the instructions and i get to the screen where it asks for an encryption password. I have never set one, and i even verified that this option was turned off in the settings. Once i get to that screen, i click ok to continue and it says "starting restor..... restore finished" but never reboots and the prompt just sits there.. never saying its done... no reboots... nothing.

Any help?

Upvote 0
so after getting this phone a third time i have been playing around with it. I got it at walmart and so far they havent complained or wonder wtf is going on, i turned it in and get a new one and start over. after spending countless pills of adderall and reading up on the andriod forums, to culture myself. I still own my iphone and this is my first android phone.

first thing is first i used the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v21 to root my phone,

do what the other guys have said, install the usb drivers from LG, and on the phone enable the buggin thing and the security option to enable unknown ware. and plug your phone in

you dont need cmd for this go into the LG_Vinice_Root folder after you unzipped it.
then into the folder stuff,

click on abd.exe the CMD will run automatically make sure to run as admin

then go back to your parent folder and click on the RunMe.bat and run that as admin as well. press 1 and accept the restore and boom your done.

things to avoid that i have ran into problems is dont install the beats by dre audio driver, and also once you root back up everything with TB.

hope this works for those having problems.

you can tether you venice and it works great can watch netflix and play on xboxlive using the 3g from sprint. (wifi tether for root users)

if you can once you have backed up your stuff into the SD card, make another copy of it.

this is my first time using android so will post more things as i go on bricking this phone over and over again. also anyone have the flash boost files for this phone?

Upvote 0
Did you Brick yours doing above removal you mentioned? It doesn't seem right that being rooted it would brick from removing those 2 programs. I've taken them out on other phones without a problem. I wonder if that is part of LG's twist on having their own version of Ice Cream Sandwich?

Edit: Thanks MykeHawke and Ghost915!!! It worked with this walk through! I don't know what I did different when I did it before but this made it easy. Root Checker says I am rooted and I have Super User. Next hurdle is CWM.

Yeah my motion from metro pcs has that same stipulation, can't remove them, or paperweight

Upvote 0
new info as of 2013/03/27
method 1 failed, twice.
method 3 worked like a charm
boostmobile lg venice
android 4.0.4
kernel 3.0.8
build IMM76L
software version LG7
LG730ZV5
Tried both 1 and 3 with same specs but software version LG730ZV6. Doesn't seem to work for me. Using method 3 it just hangs after
[HIGH]After restore is confirmed please look on your device and choose "Service Tests
-> Display" in Service menu and WAIT THERE!"
Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=com.sonyericsson.android.s
ervicemenu/.ServiceMainMenu }
Error type 3
Error: Activity class {com.sonyericsson.android.servicemenu/com.sonyericsson.and
roid.servicemenu.ServiceMainMenu} does not exist.
/data/local/tmp/onload.sh ...[/HIGH]

Upvote 0
I've tried multiple steps and end up with the same thing:
attachment.php

Attachments

• root.JPG
    root.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0
Tried both 1 and 3 with same specs but software version LG730ZV6. Doesn't seem to work for me. Using method 3 it just hangs after
[HIGH]After restore is confirmed please look on your device and choose "Service Tests
-> Display" in Service menu and WAIT THERE!"
Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=com.sonyericsson.android.s
ervicemenu/.ServiceMainMenu }
Error type 3
Error: Activity class {com.sonyericsson.android.servicemenu/com.sonyericsson.and
roid.servicemenu.ServiceMainMenu} does not exist.
/data/local/tmp/onload.sh ...[/HIGH]

We have ended up unrooting our phones, the audio misbehaved post root.

I am willing to throw my hands up and admit defeat for the time being [sigh]

Upvote 0
Hey guys I need some advice. I would love to root my Venice for all the benefits and disabling that god awful shutter lol. My concern is that I don't want to void my warranty because I have a feeling that I'm going to need it somewhere down the line (it always happens with Boost) and I also noticed that there were no Roms available for this phone yet (correct me if I'm wrong)? So I really don't want to root it and not have any cool roms to flash on it and only end up rooting it just to disable the shutter sound... can anybody give me a few pros & cons of rooting this phone or just staying normal? I'm a huge programming nerd so everything has to be reprogrammed or configured to my exact liking lol. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
We have ended up unrooting our phones, the audio misbehaved post root.

I am willing to throw my hands up and admit defeat for the time being [sigh]

After rooting a third Venice, and rebooting several times, all audio and video seems awesome, nothing out of the ordinary, and our phones are back to rooted.

The third phone which was rooted using v25 of bin4ry's rooter behaved badly right up front, the final check failed and the script stalled at the final "waiting" point while we took care of some other business (most of a day).

It also worked quite well after a couple reboots and manually adding supersu and busybox from the play store.

Interestingly at least one of the two phones rooted first, the root survived a factory reset and was discovered BEFORE going back with the v25 rooter, by using the ADB shell command and typing su as a protest action.

All three phones are now working as expected, rooted by v25 or bin4ry's rooter, mode 3, and stopping the script after a minute or two of the final "waiting for phone" prompt, then rebooting the phone.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I need some advice. I would love to root my Venice for all the benefits and disabling that god awful shutter lol. My concern is that I don't want to void my warranty because I have a feeling that I'm going to need it somewhere down the line (it always happens with Boost) and I also noticed that there were no Roms available for this phone yet (correct me if I'm wrong)? So I really don't want to root it and not have any cool roms to flash on it and only end up rooting it just to disable the shutter sound... can anybody give me a few pros & cons of rooting this phone or just staying normal? I'm a huge programming nerd so everything has to be reprogrammed or configured to my exact liking lol. Thanks in advance

I am not aware of cool roms yet, and rooted for titanium backup and more cool proxy setup, as well as my personal need to see what I can learn from the # prompt that I can not learn from the $ prompt... my wife calls 'gerfingerpoken ferklemph'.

I am sure I don't care that the first word is made-up, the 2nd misused, misspelled, etc. but the point is we have liberated many cool features from electronics over the years because I go poking about where I am not supposed to go.

As for warranty, cricket salesperson asked, and handed my phone to another tech who did a bit more brutal reset than we had done "just in case" and then proceeded to unmark the "altered" box on the screen.

We hope that any experience needed with boost will be the same.

Upvote 0
I am not aware of cool roms yet, and rooted for titanium backup and more cool proxy setup, as well as my personal need to see what I can learn from the # prompt that I can not learn from the $ prompt... my wife calls 'gerfingerpoken ferklemph'.

I am sure I don't care that the first word is made-up, the 2nd misused, misspelled, etc. but the point is we have liberated many cool features from electronics over the years because I go poking about where I am not supposed to go.

As for warranty, cricket salesperson asked, and handed my phone to another tech who did a bit more brutal reset than we had done "just in case" and then proceeded to unmark the "altered" box on the screen.

We hope that any experience needed with boost will be the same.

I really hope some dev gets ahold of this phone and does something with it. It gets kinda boring after awhile with the same old setup no matter how many diff themes and launchers I jump from

Upvote 0
root method worked fine for me until I updated my firmware from V5 to V6 and haven't found way to regain root. Read a post stating that lg has released the source code for the venice to upgrade to the 4.1.2 version of android (jellybean) and when I looked into that I found a link to the lg code upgrade page where the lg730 BM (boost mobile) model had 3 different code downloads 2 ics code downloads 1 for phones with V6 and 1 for the phones with V5 firmware. The most confusing one was listed first it was labeled Jb for the phones with V8 firmware. Which i presume was the one the article referred to about upgrading to 4.1.2. I downloaded the v8 jb code file and learned that it's the codes required with instructions on how to "build" a source code for the device. didn't find anything on the web at all about the v8 version for the device. all too difficult for this newbie just really wanted to share that the firmware update removed my root and won't give it back.

Upvote 0
Had to use the downgrade firmware from v6 to v5 to regain root and after doing so started getting prompts for system upgrade when i chose "more info" it said that it was the jellybean upgrade with firmware lg730zv8. I installed it and guess what? It removed my root again! Now looking for a way to regain it and keep jb upgrade also. Help!

Downgrade back down to V5 and root than download Android Root toolkit and save/back up root then upgrade via ota and restore root with android root toolkit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones