• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root vs. New Image?

DanMarg

Apr 9, 2010
OK, so I see this instructions and I think I can follow them (even after OTA 2.1) with latest "official" image file:
"I. Rooting your phone (the easiest part)

1. Download this file:
PB00IMG.zip (md5: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94)

2. Place PB00IMG.zip onto the root directory of your sdcard.

3. Power down your phone.

4. Hold Volume Down + Power On. This should bring you to a screen saying "HBOOT" and some other stuff. Wait for it to load the image, and it will say Push Activate. Push the trackball button to continue. The process will take around 5-10 minutes. The first time your phone boots up it will take a lot longer than normal.

5. Your phone is now rooted.
:)

II. Installing Amon's recovery image

1. Download this file:
Recovery.zip

2. Extract file contents to your \tools\ directory of your Android SDK.

3. Open up a command prompt and go to your tools directory, and execute these commands: (MAKE SURE YOUR SDCARD IS NOT MOUNTED TO YOUR COMPUTER OR THESE COMMANDS WON'T WORK! MAKE SURE IT IS ON "CHARGE ONLY")

• adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
  • adb push recovery.img /sdcard
  • adb push flash_image /system/bin
  • adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
  • adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

4. Success! You now have a recovery partition installed on your phone. You can access it by running "adb shell reboot recovery" or by powering off your phone, holding "Volume Up + Power On"

My question is whether or why I need to follow step two if my purpose for rooting the phone is to add certain apps that say they require root, such as aNetshare. I am generally happy with the official 2.3, just want the power to do things the powers that be don't authorize.:)

I just don't want to do more than necessary.

Thanks.

Moderator, maybe you could move the original question to the all things root thread? Thanks.

My question is whether or why I need to follow step two (above) if my purpose for rooting the phone is to add certain apps that say they require root, such as aNetshare. I am generally happy with the official 2.3, just want the power to do things the powers that be don't authorize.:)

Thanks.

Upvote 0
My question is whether or why I need to follow step two if my purpose for rooting the phone is to add certain apps that say they require root, such as aNetshare. I am generally happy with the official 2.3, just want the power to do things the powers that be don't authorize.:)

Thanks.

You need to be able to install another rom therefore you need to flash a new recovery.
the Root rom is extremely buggy, you get lots of fc, stuff just not working right etc. Thats why you need to do everything on that guide so you can flash another rom.

Upvote 0
So, if I understand you correctly, the act of getting superuser permissions destabilizes the factory rom; or anything you do to one part of the rom with su permissions is likely to destabilize another so that you have to have a comprehensive rom change?

Well, if you want a stock rom for root. Take a look at Jcase's v3 leak rom and/or Ivan's official 1.0 (I suggest flashing Zanfur's v3 OC patch though):D

Upvote 0
I wound up answering my own question by rooting the phone after the 2.1 OTA update and then loading aNetshare which worked perfectly. So, the answer is you can root to get superuser authority and not flash a new image.

As it happens, my OTA update was a little buggy (no speed dial, etc) before I rooted anyway and so I decided to do a hard reset. Then I figured that if I had to go through the setup pain of a hard reset anyway, I might as well try a new rom. I am now using the sense-able rom and it actually seems more reliable than the factory rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones