• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root vs. stock

Themes
Different roms
Ability to backup everything on the phone
If you use Cyanogenmod you get the latest updates of AOSP without have to wait for motorolas extremely slow updates. (Other roms will also almost always be updated well before an official OTA update)
Roms have a lot of options that stock doesnt. I am not going to go into them now but if you want go read rom descriptions at alldroid and see the difference.

Jeff I overclock to 1200 and I dont really monitor temps at all. Setcpu has a failsafe you can set. Mine is set so if the phone gets over 45C it drops back to stock speeds.

Upvote 0
But seriously, OC'ing is not very risky, especially at 800mhz. However, you should monitor temperatures with Temp Monitor from the market.

Back in my day, we didn't have no fancy temp monitor. We just slapped the damned Droid to the side of our face to assess the heat emanating from that bugger...as we walked 3.7 miles in the snow to school.

Upvote 0
But seriously, OC'ing is not very risky, especially at 800mhz. However, you should monitor temperatures with Temp Monitor from the market.

Back in my day, we didn't have no fancy temp monitor. We just slapped the damned Droid to the side of our face to assess the heat emanating from that bugger...as we walked 3.7 miles in the snow to school.

Slick if you are going to keep hangin around these parts you are gonna need to root or else UBR are going to have to give you a swirly :p

Upvote 0
Themes

Jeff I overclock to 1200 and I dont really monitor temps at all.

Yeah, when I was rooted I didn't even monitor my temps. Hell, I can tell whether I'm pushing the thing too far by placing my hand on the back of it. I had TempMonitor, but ended up backing it up to my SD and uninstalling it. Like one of the above posters said, it's very hard to fry your Droid's processor (70C?), so I never really worried about it.

I suggested TempMonitor to Jeffruby because it gives a lot of peace-of-mind to new rooters who are apprehensive and worried about OC'ing.

Upvote 0
does overclocking really make phone noticably faster??

i mean lets say to 800.

also is it safe or do u have to monitor temps (at 800)...im sure at over 1000 you do

Yes, at 800MHz you will see an increased fluidity when swiping screens, web browing etc. At 1200MHz (where I'm usually at), it is very nice. Apps launch much faster, web pages load quicker, and then switching between apps is greatly improved.

Do you have to monitor temps? Yes and no... Temperature is a concern and you don't want your processor and battery to overheat. The good news is:

1) I have pushed my phone as hot as I could...just to test this. I have never been able to do any damage nor have I heard about anyone else burning up their processors or batteries.

2) You can set up profiles in SetCPU that control the overclock. When you phone is on and you are doing something (web browsing, playing a game, etc.) you have your phone set to your max (say it's 1200MHz). When your phone is in standby, you set the profile to clock you processor down to say 600MHz. If your phone is charging, you could set it so that it doesn't go above 800MHz (whether it is in standby or awake...this protects the battery). On top of all of that, you can set a "failsafe" profile up that will automatically take the processor down to a lower speed (600MHz for example) if your phone reaches a certain temperature (and you can program that temperature to be whatever you like...mine is set for 120F).

3) On top of all these "overclocked" situations, my phone clocks itself down to 250MHz when it can with the same profiles. This keeps the phone cool and saves battery. If you set up the profiles, there is nothing to worry about.

Start with what you feel comfortable with. 800Mhz is VERY safe...Hell, I think 1000MHz is VERY safe. above 1000MHz, you won't necessary damage your phone, but it might randomly restart on you, and cause you performance problems. My phone likes 1200MHz...but won't run AT ALL on 1250MHz or 1300MHz like others will. It just depends on your phone. Some people can't get above 1000MHz (but I believe every phone can get to 1000MHz with one kernel or another and be stable).

Reactions: Trapper31
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones