Root vs wait for Froyo

Last Updated:

1. howetechnical

howetechnical Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I'm curious, is Froyo 2.2 supposed to have the lag and GPS fix in it? My wife got her Vibrant 4 days ago and I get mine on Tuesday, so before I go rooting both of them to apply the fixes, I'd like to know if I waited up to a month if it would be fixed anyway in the next update. There's really not much of anything else (right now at least) that I would do with rooting, which is why I ask.

Advertisement
  2. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

I would wait if the "issues" doesnt bother you.

3. melll

melll Well-Known Member

Im waiting. No rush, if its not broken, dont fix it.

Be patient and we will have it soon.

4. m4r10

m4r10 Well-Known Member

I was also wondering this. So what's the latest? Still supposed to come out late September? I can't wait.

5. PlowRox

PlowRox Banned

I had [as I'm sure all of us] a cell phone before I got the vibrant and magically it worked just fine for 4 years without any updates.

I understand that android is evolving and a certain amount of updates "might" be coming, but I really think some people put a little too much effort out there complaining about the different versions.

Yes I waited for the vibrant because it is a smarter phone and has a lot of up to the minute features that other phones don't have and yes I also expect to receive a certain amount of updates just based on the hardware features still being a vital component of the new builds.

But at some point down the road, there will be no more updates, and probably around that time I will just buy the latest eyeball head up display phone behind the ear static electricity powered phone!

just my 2 cents on it :)

6. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

Im waiting

7. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

Well this one is going to get 2.2 in a couple or few weeks and then 3.0 Gingerbread so things are looking up.

8. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

I will be waiting

9. joker331

joker331 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that rooted phones would still be able to receive any OTA updates without issue. There would only be problems if the phone's ROM was reflashed.

10. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

Froyo itself does not come with GPS and lag fix. It's just that when Samsung releases the Froyo OTA, they will include the GPS fix (I don't know about lag fix).

And rooting won't necessarily get a stable Froyo first. Nexus One had official Froyo first because custome ROM's did.