Root without changing stock ROM?

Last Updated: 2010-11-07 02:53:19
  1. bluemsw

bluemsw Well-Known Member

I have been reading through the threads and Haven't really found the answers to my questions. First I only want to root to get rid of the preloaded apps that were on my phone. I know on my D1 I could use titanium backup to do so. Will this method work on the D inc? Also I want the wireless tether back. So can i Just root my phone without having to load a ROM to my phone? Also I have noticed in some of the video how-to's they show some files on your computer that you use to do the root but haven't seen any that show where you get the files from. Thanks for the help and sorry if this information is out there, I was just unable to answer my questions from what I read and watched. Links are welcome too.

I am also running Froyo 2.2

Advertisement
  2. sail4fun201

sail4fun201 Well-Known Member

I would like to do this too. I don't want a custom rom or whatever, I just want to be able to uninstall verizon's spam shit and run SetCPU. How do i do this?
  3. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Do your rooting and such > Remove apps with Titanium, yes (might need to use chuck norris mode) > Use setCPU with perflock (performance lock) feature. All set.
  4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

dscribe likes this.
  5. bluemsw

bluemsw Well-Known Member

6. REYES

REYES Well-Known Member

Remove bloatware from HTC Droid Incredible 2.2 - Technology - Jonamerica.com

A great read for removing bloatware from your phone, be sure to also throw these in the mix too:

7. billybob275

billybob275 Well-Known Member

If you're feeling a little adventurous and want to try a new ROM, but prefer stock, I would take a look at Virtuous Rom. It's essentially stock 2.2 but with toggle switches that allow you to enable/disable the stock bloatware. I've tried several, and this one is one of the closest to stock that gets rid of the bloat. Very stable too.
  8. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I noticed on the website with the zip for the SLCD fix it says make sure your SD card is formatted to FAT32. My question are is formatting it 100% necessary? Is my SD card formatted to this out of the box/how can I find out if my card is formatted? If this is necessary why does it need to be formatted? I'm new to the Inc so I'm trying to do my homework before I jump into rooting this beautiful device. Thanks in advance for the help
  9. REYES

REYES Well-Known Member

If you don't format it to FAT32 then your HBOOT won't be able to see your PB31IMG.zip so you need to format it.