• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root without rom yet?

@v941726, have you checked your Hboot version after going through the process of rooting, and overclocking and flashing the Engtools.zip?

My wife's Eris is still on the Hboot 1.49.0000 S=On bootloader following the process that you went through. :(

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that my wife's Eris was on the v3 leaked 2.1 rom, then got flashed with the latest OTA update patch from Verizon prior to getting rooted and overclocked?

I can't seem to get the engineering bootloader to work. It says the update.zip file has been applied, but still have 1.49.0000 s=on after multiple attempts. :(

Upvote 0
@v941726, have you checked your Hboot version after going through the process of rooting, and overclocking and flashing the Engtools.zip?

My wife's Eris is still on the Hboot 1.49.0000 S=On bootloader following the process that you went through. :(

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that my wife's Eris was on the v3 leaked 2.1 rom, then got flashed with the latest OTA update patch from Verizon prior to getting rooted and overclocked?

I can't seem to get the engineering bootloader to work. It says the update.zip file has been applied, but still have 1.49.0000 s=on after multiple attempts. :(

i wasnt leaked and still have stock. phone came w/ 1.49 s-on. overclocked and rooted this way. still 1.49 s-on. i havent gotten this latest ota. dont think i will cuz im in "pending activation" mode i think. i never even tried the engineering bootloader cuz i didnt see a need. i have root and am overclocked at 787. still have stock rom

just for kicks, does the engtools zip contain the same files as the engineering bootloader? i never even looked at the engineering bootloader

Upvote 0
OK, I was an ID10T. I thought you could just flash the engtools.zip file and end up with the engineering bootloader. I then followed the instructions, and ended up losing root, and had no recovery flashed (couldn't flash recovery after loading the PB00IMG.zip file).

I used adb and the hack4.zip files to get my root and recovery back. Then did a nandroid restore to get my data and settings back.

Everything is good now. :) Rooted, unlocked engineering bootloader (1.49.2000 s=off), and overclocked.

Upvote 0
OK, I was an ID10T. I thought you could just flash the engtools.zip file and end up with the engineering bootloader. I then followed the instructions, and ended up losing root, and had no recovery flashed (couldn't flash recovery after loading the PB00IMG.zip file).

I used adb and the hack4.zip files to get my root and recovery back. Then did a nandroid restore to get my data and settings back.

Everything is good now. :) Rooted, unlocked engineering bootloader (1.49.2000 s=off), and overclocked.

yeah. engtools is root(super user) and hack-4 is the recovery image(amon recovery)..its just easier than that sd card timing stuff

Upvote 0
@v941726:

what do you change in the adb command lines to flash the oc kernel and su?

is it really as easy as just replacing recovery.img in the code with the zip file names? what about flash_image and mid.txt?

edit: to answer your question directly, you dont change anything. runindos.bat will do it for you.

flashing the oc kernel is a pull not a push. also su is a pull from engtools. so you push the recovery image onto the phone with the adb cmd(but runindos.bat will do this for you). so once you extract hack-4 to the tools dir and run runindos.bat, that will push the recovery image onto your phone and re-boot the phone into recovery mode for you. at that point you will pull the engtools and the oc kernel from the card. if they are in the correct spot on your sdcard(root) you will see them listed as spelled. i.e., engtools.zip and kernel-overclock-update-v3.zip. flash them one at a time(obviously), then re-boot. download setcpu, rom manager, quick boot, etc. i have a way to get the froyo wifi tether on there too. first things first though.

and yes, its that easy!

Upvote 0
Wow, that was ridiculously easy... what confused me was that i didn't read the original thread before jcase's lol. Only tough part was getting the android drivers installed properly on win 7 64bit. had all the sdk stuff on my old win xp 32bit machine haha.

If anyone encounters the same problem with win 7 64 bit, follow this: Android: ADB on Windows 7 x64 LaslowNET

Thanks a bunch... my phone is useful again!

Upvote 0
Wow, that was ridiculously easy... what confused me was that i didn't read the original thread before jcase's lol. Only tough part was getting the android drivers installed properly on win 7 64bit. had all the sdk stuff on my old win xp 32bit machine haha.

If anyone encounters the same problem with win 7 64 bit, follow this: Android: ADB on Windows 7 x64 LaslowNET

Thanks a bunch... my phone is useful again!

glad some one finally got it. i have been posting this all over, but no one seems to understand my typing. lol. as far as the drivers, i guess i assume people know what os they are running. yeah, you definitely would want 64bit drivers for 64bit os, and 32 for 32, mac for mac, ubuntu for ubuntu, etc.

Upvote 0
i know. it makes a big difference. plus you have more control over the phone with certain apps. no more lag.
btw. have fun!

Alright, that does it... I'm going to have to root and OC this thing. I like the phone, but it just needs a little more horsepower. I got the OTA update today, and it sounds like someone was able to root after. Can anyone else confirm?

Upvote 0
Alright, that does it... I'm going to have to root and OC this thing. I like the phone, but it just needs a little more horsepower. I got the OTA update today, and it sounds like someone was able to root after. Can anyone else confirm?

Yes. I had the 12.8MB update installed BEFORE i rooted/oc'ed. The update didn't remove this ability.

For anyone nervous about doing this... phone has been running stable at 768mhz, highest temp. it's reached has been 34C while charging, and haven't had a single lockup or issue thus far.

Only thing I've noticed in 24 hours is a lil' higher battery usage... but that could be from all the videos I was playing now that they're smooth as silk! lol. Youtube HD videos cruise on this finally! No frame skips or sluggish playback. I'll try to write a condensed "cheat sheet" for the process soon if anyone is struggling.

Upvote 0
Ok, done deal. Rooted this morning using my mac. Everything went smooth. Flashed engtools and the OC patch. Running at 768 nicely. I had it at 804 with no lockups, but seems like no one is running that high. By the way, the process took no more than 7 or 8 minutes... most of that was doing the nand backup.

Thanks to everyone here.

Upvote 0
Ok, done deal. Rooted this morning using my mac. Everything went smooth. Flashed engtools and the OC patch. Running at 768 nicely. I had it at 804 with no lockups, but seems like no one is running that high. By the way, the process took no more than 7 or 8 minutes... most of that was doing the nand backup.

Thanks to everyone here.

piece of cake isnt it? lol. yours may run fine at that speed. what i noticed past 787 was quirky things. like scrolling would hesitate. but that might have to do with the minimum setting. dont know for sure. guess it would take some experimenting

Upvote 0
Yes. I had the 12.8MB update installed BEFORE i rooted/oc'ed. The update didn't remove this ability.

For anyone nervous about doing this... phone has been running stable at 768mhz, highest temp. it's reached has been 34C while charging, and haven't had a single lockup or issue thus far.

Only thing I've noticed in 24 hours is a lil' higher battery usage... but that could be from all the videos I was playing now that they're smooth as silk! lol. Youtube HD videos cruise on this finally! No frame skips or sluggish playback. I'll try to write a condensed "cheat sheet" for the process soon if anyone is struggling.

games run much better too!

Upvote 0
piece of cake isnt it? lol. yours may run fine at that speed. what i noticed past 787 was quirky things. like scrolling would hesitate. but that might have to do with the minimum setting. dont know for sure. guess it would take some experimenting

well, just like a pc, there are other factors to the speed... such as ram size/timing, and fsb speed. I'm sure the auto throttling of the profiles causes a bit of stutter/lag. Regardless, this is a great improvement for this phone!! Glad I did it!

Upvote 0
well, just like a pc, there are other factors to the speed... such as ram size/timing, and fsb speed. I'm sure the auto throttling of the profiles causes a bit of stutter/lag. Regardless, this is a great improvement for this phone!! Glad I did it!

exactly. hardware plays a big part. no doubt. nevertheless, its a vast improvement

Upvote 0

Yeah no kidding... I was sitting on the side lines too long making sure I understood everything, and it ended up being so easy I was wondering if I was missing something, lol. Sometimes you just gotta go for it.

Upvote 0
Yeah no kidding... I was sitting on the side lines too long making sure I understood everything, and it ended up being so easy I was wondering if I was missing something, lol. Sometimes you just gotta go for it.

nothin wrong with that. it took me hours to piece it all together. but i'm the type that breaks them 1st. then learn from fixing them. lol. if you want to tackle wi fi tethering i have that solution also.

take note though. i put a hodgepodge together from others that get the credit to make it possible. im a fixer, not a dev.

but my wi fi works great. 11Mbps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones