root without wipe possible?

Last Updated: 2012-09-29 02:40:37
  1. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

is it possible to root the n7 without wiping my device? i just got the n7 last week and im not ready to wipe it just yet. still getting to know this device and i dont like to root (even more dont like to wipe) before ive had it a couple of weeks so i know how it runs stock.

Advertisement
  2. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

You have to unlock the bootloader which wipes the device to root. As it's running Google's latest greatest OS, I really haven't saw a big enough advantage to root yet other than just because you can.
    stridermt2k and h4x0rj3ff like this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

No, nexus devices do it the right way. Its a security flaw to be able to root without the device being wiped.
    h4x0rj3ff likes this.
  4. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

darn i was hoping there was a way. o well not entirely upset. i really am not ready to root yet anyways.
  5. Rxpert83

The earlier you unlock it, the less painful it is ;). Its going to be the first thing I do when I get the device in hand. That way I lose no data
  6. oldster

oldster Member

Apart from seeing Rooting as a step to accessing my home network I haven't seen a persuasive reason either. I have to keep reminding myself that my N7 is not intended to be a PC. I have 4 of them already but I do get tempted by the "why ? Because I can !!! " urge.
  7. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

You CAN Unlock it without rooting which is the part that wipes your device. Then when you're ready to root, you won't have to wipe it.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  8. billville

billville Member

I have a question...when you say that it wipes all data from your device, does that mean it will also erase the jelly bean update that I have already installed?? I couldn't find this specific answer anywhere and I really want to know this before I decide to root my n7. Thanks!!
  9. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

No, it'll wipe all your personal data but not the system data.
    billville likes this.
  10. billville

billville Member

Thank you so much for the reply teknologic! Now I can root this with a little more confidence, lol
  11. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

OK I have pro ally the most stupid question that i m pretty sure I already know the answer. This being a Google device and a root friendly device will rooting void the warranty? I ask because I've always had insurance to fall back on when rooting phones but now all I have I'd the warranty if something goes wrong.
  12. Rxpert83

During one of the steps in the unlocking process it will say that doing so MAY void your warranty.

I'm too new to the nexus community to tell you how strict they are about that though.
  13. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

OK so I read that rooting will remove your 25$ credit. And as absurd as that sounds I just want to cover all my basics...
  14. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

And I read that's a crackpot theory :p
    It's tied to your Google account, not your device or anything else.
  15. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Cool just making sure. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure
  16. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

ok so i just rooted and im on stock with root and an unlocked bootloader. should i lock it back up? will it hurt anything to keep it unlocked?
  17. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Congrats! and, IMO (re. will it hurt to leave it unlocked), nope! :)

Keeping it unlocked gives you flashing and recovery options (i.e., via fastboot) that you don't have when its locked.

Cheers and enjoy!
  18. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

FYI, I just found this article that implies/says/indicates that rooting the N7 without unlocking should be possible (it actually doesn't mention unlocking):

Root Many ICS and Jelly Bean Android Devices

Rxpert83 likes this.