root wont work on samsung captivate

Last Updated:

1. uscgambrose

uscgambrose Member This Topic's Starter

I tried to root my phone and i do everything to the tee to root my phone and it says everytime i reinstall packages a error.. it wont reinstall.. does anyone have a idea whats wrong or anything i can do to fix this!! I really want to root my phone so i can make it a router!!

Advertisement
  2. RO3

RO3 Active Member

What method are you using to root? In most cases, you have to make sure that whatever package you are using is copied to the internal sd card, and the downloaded package should be renamed or named update.zip

3. uscgambrose

not to sure what you mean my packages. I just download whatever the sites tell me to download and nothing works. it alway says there is a error when i try to reinstall packages. Im very new to this, even the one click root dont work with mine.

4. LordHumongouz

LordHumongouz Banned

Does your 3-button Recovery Mode work?

I can never see the single user boot screen or digging Droid.

5. peachpuff

peachpuff Well-Known Member

Did you rename the zip file to update.zip and place it in the root dir of the sd card?

6. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

7. uscgambrose

place it in the root dir of the sd card? what does that mean.. go step by step what to do.. i am a complete ****** when it comes to this.. i just know it wont let me do it.. when i reboot it, it says a error has happened and it wont reinstall package!!

8. peachpuff

peachpuff Well-Known Member

j:\ <- thats the root dir of your sd card if its the j: drive, place it there, it can't get any easier than that.

9. RO3

RO3 Active Member

Go to market download RyanZA's OCLF. Also download Quick Boot, by Sirius Applications Ltd. Run RyanZA's app and select root 2.1 which will show up as a green selection. It will ask, or force a reboot. Since it sounds like you have one of the Captivates that the button commands do not work just let it reboot. Once you have rebooted. Open up the Quick Boot app and select Recovery from the menu. It will now reboot again and this time bring up the recovery console. Use the volume buttons to scroll down and select install packages.

If this doesn't work, you will need to boot in to recovery by using adb shell. This is a program for windows that you have to run from the command prompt. It is available by downloading the android-sdk-windows.

Open up command prompt, from run button in windows type cmd. This will bring up a command prompt window. Change to the directory where you unzipped the sdk.

For example if you unzipped it on your desktop you would type, cd c:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools

Once there make sure your phone is plugged in via usb with usb debugging checked.

Now back to the console, type adb and hit enter. This will bring up all the command lines you can use.

In your case type: adb reboot recovery If you get an error, try typing adb start-server then hit enter. Then retype the adb reboot recovery again.

Good luck.