• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root your Milestone!!

If the Milestone's bootloader is locked, how are people applying this root update? I want to get a Telus Milestone but i'm worried about this locked bootloader issue. Will we ever be able to get root access and do stuff like use MarketEnabler?

So far it looks like no one has managed to root the Telus Milestone yet. All the reports I've seen say that the rooting method used on the european Milestones don't work on the Telus one.

Hopefully that will change soon. I'm not overly concerned about the custom roms issue, I mean really, until CyanogenMod is ported to the Milestone it's not worth it anyway ;) But I'd sure like to be able to use Market Enabler.

Upvote 0
So just to get this straight the European Milestones can get root even though their bootloaders are locked? Does the locked bootoader only prevent the use of custom roms and not root?

I honestly don't care about custom roms (in fact I like using stock ROMs) I just want to ensure that I can install the official updates and also paid apps (via MarketEnabler).

Upvote 0
So just to get this straight the European Milestones can get root even though their bootloaders are locked? Does the locked bootoader only prevent the use of custom roms and not root?

I honestly don't care about custom roms (in fact I like using stock ROMs) I just want to ensure that I can install the official updates and also paid apps (via MarketEnabler).

That's about it in a nutshell. European Milestones with 2.0.1 have been rooted, there just appears to be enough difference between them and the Telus one that the root method doesn't work here.

As I understand it, the locked bootloader is only preventing the custom rom development and like you, I don't care overmuch about custom roms. The stock rom on the Telus Milestone is nice and clean and runs quite well. My big beef is the lack of access to the paid apps in Market and until Google yanks their thumbs out of their collective arses, the only ways we can get access is by either unlocking the phone and putting a U.S. sim in temporarily or rooting and running Market Enabler.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones