root your mytouch 3g!!!

Last Updated:

1. bhov97

bhov97 New Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. bobgaron

bobgaron Active Member

What would be the purpose and benefit of being rooted?

Thanks for clarifying. :)

3. Ghost117

Ghost117 Member

It allows you to access the "root" directories of the phone. So you will be able to change anything and everything, like flashing new ROMs (the Hero ones for example) and installing apps to SD for a start. There are many other usefull things too.

4. bobgaron

bobgaron Active Member

Ah! Perfect... so does it officially work now for the MT3G? Has anyone tossed the Hero ROM on it yet?

5. bhov97

bhov97 New Member This Topic's Starter

thanks ghost, just thought this would be a good first post :cool:

6. MonkeyK

MonkeyK Well-Known Member

While I understand that the first step is to be able to update the ROM, is there a ROM that offers any significant benefit over the current MT3G ROM?

Also, I if I wait too long, is T-Mobile/Google going to close whatever hole it is that allows rooting?

7. Guitarman

Guitarman Active Member

I checked out the guide to root the mt3g its so complicated.

8. bobgaron

bobgaron Active Member

Agreed and there really isn't much of a benefit. I like the ROM on my phone. The main qualm is it's Gmail, Browser, and a couple other program lags.

9. Hydboy97

Hydboy97 New Member

I bricked my myTouch trying to gain root access. Now the phone wont even turn on. When I plug the usb cable to the phone and pc the led at the top of the phone turns orange and then I can do the volume down + power button.

So I can’t access bootloader or recovery. The only thing that works is the blue led trick when pressing trackball + power button.

I tried below procedure to recover but it didn’t work.

Step 1: Turned Phone off by taking out the battery.

Step 2: Prepared SD card
    Put SD card in card reader and formatted it as FAT32, copied the DREAIMG.nbh onto it.

Step 3: Put SD card back in phone

Step 4: Hold Vol down + Power + track ball together and put battery to start phone

Step 5: Run update

Please reply on vakkaka@yahoo.com and let me know what to do and how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

10. EinZtein

EinZtein Well-Known Member

Anyone root it yet?
    If so please provide a link.

Also wondering if it solves any of the problems discussed here, especially the short battery life many are experiencing.

Sounds like the battery on this thing is no better than the Hero.

11. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

I have rooted one via e-mail and phone calls, long story.

Cyanogen is the way we went for that one. It did speed up the phone.

Full Update Guide - MT3G/Magic Firmware to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki

Most of my first hand (seen for myself) battery issues on 2 G1s rooted, 1touch, 1 rooted touch and 1 hero, arent what people think they are.

What I have seen to cause battery drain is screen brightness, widgets, having 3g on when none avalible, GPS always on and not sleeping fun when not using.

Thats just what I have seen and by no means is it true for everyone.

12. jfritzs2

jfritzs2 Well-Known Member

So I just rooted my MyTouch, and its working great! It is noticeably faster and smoother, but as far as developing it anymore, I'm pretty lost. I feel a bit in over my head, I'm not sure how to do any of the neat tricks that come with rooting that I hear about on the XDA-developers forums. I hope I can figure some stuff out, if I can't, then oh well I will just leave it.

13. Crimson_Wake

Crimson_Wake New Member

I'm brand spankin' new here, but I'm all kinds of curious. I come from a long line of Blackberries running custom ROMs. That's what I'm used to - when things slow down, or just get boring, we just flashed new firmware to our devices and went on our merry way.

I have the MT3G now, and it's much better than the BB for speed, applications, and all around fun, but I'm not used to just sitting with a firmware. Rooting intrigues me, but I am looking to understand what exactly it will get me. If all it does is speed things up, then I'm not yet sold. If it's cool, but I'm going to need a degree in nuclear engineering to make these 'neat' tricks happen, then again, I'm out.

My phone is slowing down, so I've ditched some apps in favor of speed. I have Astro and Task Panel to kill tasks I don't use, and I am not using WiFi unless I know I'm in a spot where signal is available. Battery life is only poor when I'm messaging and gaming all day at the office.

So what truly is the greatest benefit of rooting? What super-amazing-holy-hell-how'd-you-do-that tricks can I perform with the greatest of ease?

Thank you in advance my fellow phone geeks.

14. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

First post! lol

I haven't rooted (yet?), but I've been reading up on it some. The first thing most people have mentioned is that it enables multi-touch, but that's not enough reason for me since I understand that the ability is coming with Eclair, anyway. But I just learned that you can also transfer files by bluetooth*, which is somewhat more intriguing.

So I'm still pondering it, just wish the instructions weren't so intimidating! lol I paid cash for this phone out-of-contract (I couldn't stand that sucky Shadow anymore!), I don't want to brick it.

*depending on the ROM, I'm sure.

15. jasnmb

jasnmb Well-Known Member

16. InstantKarma

Thanks, but not quite. I downloaded and checked it out, but it says that you can only transfer between identical machines (i.e. another myTouch) unless you've rooted. It would not access my laptop, which is what I wanted to transfer from/to.

I'm gonna give T-Mobile another few weeks to update with Eclair before I contemplate rooting, again. I've had this phone 10 days; I'm still learning stuff, regardless. :)

17. jasnmb

jasnmb Well-Known Member

I haven't tried transfering anything to a computer, but I was easily able to transfer files from my old Moto Razr to the myTouch using this app. I don't see why it wouldn't also work with a computer.

18. EinZtein

How long did it take you start to finish? And what rom are you running?

19. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

What method did you use and link to the quide and files would be nice ... thanks

20. EinZtein

The link is at the top.

21. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Am noticing that some of the links are dead in the guide...

so far the the sapphire img nbh...

if i get through the process I will post the process with new links on the forum... here

22. Delyorik

Delyorik New Member

Okay, so I put Cyanogen 4.2.8 on my phone (at least, that's what Settings>About phone>Mod version tells me), but I'm not sure that I actually have root access and can install apps on my sd card. How can I figure it out (since I didn't play with anything related to "goldcard" and such) without screwing up what's already working quite well (and, admittedly, better than before)? Also, why does the Recovery Flasher app keep failing to backup (buttons showing are "Backup to Flash Cyanogen Recovery 1.4" and "Backup Recovery Image", yet when clicking the second, it quickly flashes "WORKING. DO NOT INTERRUPT." then immediately goes to "Backup FAILED."). Finally, how do I find a working recovery image for v1.6 that, just in case, I can use for warranty purposes?

Thanks in advance.

23. d510addict

d510addict Active Member

Has anyone tested the 1click method from theunlocker? Also how do I put cyanogen on my phone? I dont get how to install google apps without the os flashed.

24. d510addict

d510addict Active Member

Anyone able to help me out here? I'd really like to root this bad boy but am having a hard time getting some responses off this forum ='(

25. InstantKarma

Sorry, I don't know of anyone on here who's actually done it on their MyTouch.

Those were the instructions I was reading and was still too intimidated by. If that's the "easy" version, I sure don't want to try the hard version. :D