root your mytouch 3g!!!

1. dasudevil

dasudevil Well-Known Member

ok ... well after being deaply depressed and misserable yesterday i decided to just give my phone to a co worker who has rooted his phone and swap roms like 10 times.

When he got it. No phone all i had was internet. WOO HOO.

Picked up phone at midnight and apperantly it took him 10 minutes to fix and apply the rom i wanteed. He still cant tell me what he did or what i was doing wrong. He has no clue. He just knows how to do it.

Would love to post a screen shot if possible however i can not find any free apps. Any ideas?

Either way Thank you all, like i said before im done rooting for some how i mess things up.
  2. dasudevil

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OK starting from left to right... screen to the left (the hottie is the wife), home screen, right side, Home screen with a different BAR (does transfer to others), screen without notification bar (stays hidden until told so), and the obvious my phone info.

If your wondering the bar at the bottom, the little icons do work. The square one is an app killer.

I dont know how my friend did the root but i am happy now.

BTW used the shootme app from the market.
  3. jfritzs2

jfritzs2 Well-Known Member

ShootMe is the best screen shot app I think! Nice job! I'm glad to hear that it is finally rooted! I hope that you enjoy it! SuperD is definitely the fastest, and now this ROM, is the same as SuperD but it has a different kernel so it is much faster and smoother still. So give that a try too.

Enjoy!!
    dasudevil likes this.
  4. dasudevil

wow ok im glad the links stay here with the new ROM. I will have to fiddle with this one for a while. I kinda like the quickness of it. Besides i just got my phone back to a working state since Saturday. Ill have to forward this over to my friend who loves new ROMs.

Thank you
  5. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Man, I do NOT think I want to do another wipe.

Maybe next week. lol
  6. jfritzs2

Ha, flashing roms gets so addicting, I will wipe my phone and flash a new rom at least once or twice a week, I'll come back to SuperD, but its fun to try out an Eclair or different Donut rom. But oh well, and be sure to make Nandroid or BART backups before you do, so if you don't like the new rom you flashed, you just have to restore you backup and its just like it was before you flashed.

Glad to have the both of you now in the root club!
  7. InstantKarma

<-- Just discovered Metamorph. :D

I did a Nandroid backup before I changed my theme, but what exactly does it backup and not backup? I'm still reinstalling apps, restoring bookmarks, etc. from the wipe involved in rooting the other night.
  8. jfritzs2

"* What is Nandroid Backup v2.0?
    Nandroid Backup is a set of tools and a script that will enable anyone who has root on their G1 and has the engineering/dev spl bootloader [1] (or has a dev phone) + a recovery image with busybox and adbd running as root [2] to make full system backups. These can then be restored using the fastboot [3] commandline tool and your phone in SPL/bootloader mode (hold camera + power). This allows you to create regular backups of your entire phones NAND flash so that you can restore a backup when something breaks. Its backup method works on a level that allows you to completely break, wipe or corrupt any or all partitions and still restore the phone to a working state within a few minutes. This works great for those who use their G1 for normal activities but also want to test their ideas which might break the phone, or when not having an extra G1 to keep purely as a development phone."

However, the BART backup will backup everything, it will even restore your apps that you had installed, so generally I use that.
  9. dasudevil

what happened to my back up pro or even astro. They both have backup programs. One is free and the other is well... you should pay for.
    I just make two simple clicks and my phone has all the programs and apps like before.
  10. jfritzs2

Yeah, and if I don't do a BART backup, then I will do MyBackup Pro, thats easy for data, because many times I install a ton of apps and then even if I uninstall them they still slow down my phone somehow, so its nice to start from scratch sometimes, but I want to keep my bookmarks and dictionary and texts and everything, so I use that. Its nice either way.
  11. bistro817

bistro817 Well-Known Member

I also was thinking of rooting my touch , I have bluetooth file transfur so the only benefit I really see is raising the processor speed, but I dont think im going to after reading about how many people have bricked it. set cpu , an the other ones all require rooting?
  12. InstantKarma

13. InstantKarma

So, after a week; yeah, I think I'm sticking with CM. It runs like a top, and I have a theme that I really like, so I can't think of a good reason to change.
  14. jfritzs2

That's ok, Cyanogen is a really great developer and he's pretty much the icon of custom roms, but I tell ya, when you are feeling up for something a bit faster, SuperD is the way to go ;) and you know where to find it, its always in my sig. But I hope you're loving the rooted phone, have fun!
  15. jfritzs2

Its always in my signature, except for that time :)

But its here now.
  16. InstantKarma

You obviously haven't plunked down your $20 donation. :D
  17. jfritzs2

Ha! I better get on that ;)
  18. InstantKarma

In other news... I need to install the SDK so I can use ADB.

Although, I can't right at this minute remember what I want ADB for.
  19. kski

kski Member

20. InstantKarma

Yeah, got it set up last night. I pushed some ringtones and alarms left out of CM, and set installed AdvancedLauncher as a system app. I'm back to three screens!

Gonna set up Mobile Defense as a system app tonight.
  21. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

Is it possible to root 1.6, or do you have to downgrade to 1.5?
  22. kski

kski Member

23. InstantKarma

Never say never, I guess. I've been having a couple minor app issues ever since I installed CM rom (and one's gotten worse since), so I think I'm gonna do a Titanium backup and try Super D, tonight or tomorrow.
  24. jfritzs2

Ben's going to be doing an update on it soon, so it'll be version 1.9.4, with lots of new stuff. So I'd hold out for a little bit. I'll let you know when its updated.

So what's so wrong with the Cyanongen Rom for you?
  25. InstantKarma

Oh, nothing major. Just a couple of apps that don't quite work the way they're supposed to. I ran the fix_permissions command in terminal a few days ago, and that didn't do anything.

I just loaded Amon-Ra's recovery, and did the same thing from there. We'll see. Maybe I just need to backup and wipe. (That sounds unsavory. lol)