• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root your updated LG Marquee phone step by step.

Greetings, Ting user here who was tired of watching the smokin' hot wife deal with a slow clunky and just frustrating software load on the refurbished boost LG Marguee. Still not sure if she will like CTMod but I do, it's fast.

I am a tech kind of guy but this was my first root of any phone and I have to say, even though the directions were great and the process works I had a hard time.

But I friggin did it. :) Only took about 100 tries and me reloading my pc 3 times. Thanks to everyone who posted here I was able to eventually work it out, especially the OP.

The key really is the usb drivers. You can say time and again like I did, that I have the right driver and start looking everywhere else. It was a post by etee that lead my to reload the pc the third and final time and really concentrate on the driver update process. I could not connect my phone and count how long it takes to extract the archive without the loader crashing. It would not crash when trying to turn on the phone, after pushing the update button. It would just keep going and the phone would boot as normal and never enter the update screen. Just like many who posted their logs here thinking it's the script. Bottom line, I think that if you cannot start the KZD upload process with the phone connected and without software errors and/or the software hanging up you will never be successful. When I say software erros I mean pop-ups not the script saying it perform the update. So Test that before trying to figure out the timing and the host of other little quirks. Assuming you think you are doing everything else according to the guide.

Also Clonezilla helps with the windows rollbacks so you can start over easily.

This thing was hell for me but I kind of secretly had a fun time learning, even though I wanted to scratch my eyes out. Plus the smokin' hot wife is happy. We all know what that means. :)

I might root my Galaxy S3 next. Since I had to buy it outright at over 500 bucks I am a little more leery there. Maybe I'll wait until Ting stops updating it. Yeah Samsung has a lot of crap on there I know. It's way worse than any other phone I have owned. Ting is awesome and with the new beta program you can bring Sprint phones over without buying a new one.

Anyway, thanks again everyone and CHEERS!!!

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem here :

14:23:19 : Launching SW update
14:23:19 : Unpacking KDZ
14:23:20 : KDZ file extraced
14:23:19 : Extract file error
14:23:21 : ===FINISHED===

I have the latest JAVA DEV installed from the first post, I have up to date marquee drivers, I'm running the program as ADMIN, and I have no antivirus up. I'm running Windows XP. Help ?

Upvote 0
SUCCESSFULLY ROOTED !!! HOORAY !!! I've confirmed the phone is rooted with Root Checker app, and the Superuser icon appears in programs list.

Thank you for the detailed info!

But things are not so simple....

When I attempt to update the stock rom in Clockwork (following instructions here), the process seems to work... rom is unpacked, phone restarts and indicates a software update is occurring, then drops me back into the Clockwork mod. All appears good.

I restart the phone, hold my breath, and........ it boots me back into SPRINT ID! What the heck?

I've attempted this now about 5 times. I've cleared the cache, dalvik, factory reset BEFORE installing the rom, and AFTER installing the rom. I've done a few installs without doing any wipes.

Why isn't the stock rom taking to my phone?

I rooted my prior phone, the LG Optimus, with gRom 2.2 and I seem to remember gRom installing without any of this drama.

Any advice? Please help!

Thank you to everyone in advance.

(One more item-- I'm at work and cannot attach my phone to my PC, so for any experimentation I do during the day, I must download roms directly. Where does the default Marquee browser save files, and how do I move them to the sdcard?)

EDIT: With the help of Root Explorer, I found that the download location was mnt/sdcard/download

Also, I just tried to update my rooted phone with the "Undeniable Marquee" rom, and the same thing happened-- it appeared to be successful, but the phone rebooted into the same old Sprint ID rom.

Upvote 0
SUCCESSFULLY ROOTED !!! HOORAY !!! I've confirmed the phone is rooted with Root Checker app, and the Superuser icon appears in programs list.

Thank you for the detailed info!

But things are not so simple....

When I attempt to update the stock rom in Clockwork (following instructions here), the process seems to work... rom is unpacked, phone restarts and indicates a software update is occurring, then drops me back into the Clockwork mod. All appears good.

I restart the phone, hold my breath, and........ it boots me back into SPRINT ID! What the heck?

I've attempted this now about 5 times. I've cleared the cache, dalvik, factory reset BEFORE installing the rom, and AFTER installing the rom. I've done a few installs without doing any wipes.

Why isn't the stock rom taking to my phone?

I rooted my prior phone, the LG Optimus, with gRom 2.2 and I seem to remember gRom installing without any of this drama.

Any advice? Please help!

Thank you to everyone in advance.

(One more item-- I'm at work and cannot attach my phone to my PC, so for any experimentation I do during the day, I must download roms directly. Where does the default Marquee browser save files, and how do I move them to the sdcard?)

EDIT: With the help of Root Explorer, I found that the download location was mnt/sdcard/download

Also, I just tried to update my rooted phone with the "Undeniable Marquee" rom, and the same thing happened-- it appeared to be successful, but the phone rebooted into the same old Sprint ID rom.

The one mod you mention appears to be modified STOCK roms, so not sure you will get anything other than the sprint splash screen. Just flashing Clockwork gets you the recovery mod ONLY which will still boot you to stock Sprint unless you use it to flash a custom. Not every mod gives you a kick ass custom splash screen. Try CTMod. Located here in all things root marquee.

Reactions: schleima
Upvote 0
The one mod you mention appears to be modified STOCK roms, so not sure you will get anything other than the sprint splash screen. Just flashing Clockwork gets you the recovery mod ONLY which will still boot you to stock Sprint unless you use it to flash a custom. Not every mod gives you a kick ass custom splash screen. Try CTMod. Located here in all things root marquee.

Alright, you've just about crushed my spirits here, and I'll tell you why.

I was assuming that the stock android rom was a generic, unbranded (i.e. non-Sprint) rom. So, when the Sprint ID screen popped up with the Sprint ID logo button at the bottom, I thought somehow the "clean" (i.e. unbranded) rom didn't take.

In fact, I remember tapping on the sprint ID button at the bottom and being told that Sprint ID wasn't installed on the phone. That seems to indicate you're right-- I was working with a stock (albeit branded) rom on a rooted phone.

Well, here's the bad part. I've been dicking around with it all day, and somehow now I'm being told by Root Check Basic that the phone is no longer properly rooted. *sigh*

During the course of the day, I have not had USB/PC access for my phone, so whatever I did to eliminate root access was done through the handset only.

During the course of the day, I've reset the phone many times, tried to reinstall the stock rom (as well as the "undeniable marquee" rom) which is ALSO based on the stock rom. (What threw me off that since both are based on the stock (Sprint branded) rom, I stupidly must have been repeated and successfully updating the stock rom and then the "undeniable" rom, thinking the thing kept failing.

I did a factory (hard) reset and wipe several times using the Clockword mod. I also factory reset the phone using the programming code through Sprint. Somewhere along the line, I lost my root access.

Now what it appears I'm left with is an unrooted phone that still had a rooted rom installed on it (superuser is still in the programs list, along with the "Rom Toolbox" (which I think was installed with the "undeniable" rom)

When I got home and had USB/PC access, I tried to reset the KDZ file, but that failed several times (it's the part where you have to do the 12 second count). I'm not sure if I even need to do this.

I then tried to root the phone again with PlayfulGod's root access. It seemed to succeed, but when the phone reset I was still being told I didn't have root acces.

Currently, my "about phone" reads thusly:

Android Version 2.3.4
Baseband version LS855ZVC-M6600A-SCAUTSZ-3.0.40T
Kernel Version 2.6.35.7 lgd@android-build #1
Build number GRJ22
SW Version LS855ZV9

Does this say anything to you?

What should my next steps be? It's killing me that it sounds like I actually had a successful root and did something to mess it up.

EDIT: The ClockworkMod is no longer on my phone, as far as I can tell-- not sure when or how it disappeared, but it happened sometime during the day when I did not have USB/PC access. However, "ROM Toolbox" still remains (again, I believe this was part of the "undeniable" rom)

EDIT #2: At this point, I'm thinking I should try to un-root, go back to Sprint factory settings, and retry fresh. Is it possible to do that?

EDIT #3: I decided to try another root checker app. So, Root Checker Basic (by Joeykrim) says "This devide does not have proper root access". However, Root Check (by GSMDEV) says I do! (it says: Root access available: su available: yes, BusyBox avail: yes, BusyBox ver: --) What gives?

EDIT #4: I managed to successfully flash the KDZ file. I then tried to re-root the phone, and I got this terrible looking thing:
8428402795_b360c7d5da_b.jpg

EDIT #5: Never mind... I reset my phone and it rooted successfully! I reinstalled ClockworkMod, ROM manager, and installed the latest CT Rom. HOLY MAMA, this is what I'm talking about!

I'm all good-- thanks for the guidance!

Thanks Everyone

Upvote 0
Just a word of warning, you may want to remove ROM Manager. Its really not needed and the app has a pretty bad track record. Several guys here have installed it and ended up with a dead phone not 2 long afterwards. I'm one of those guys. I had to have my motherboard replaced. You're good to go with just CWM.:D

Also, now is a good time to make a CWM backup.

Upvote 0
Just a word of warning, you may want to remove ROM Manager. Its really not needed and the app has a pretty bad track record. Several guys here have installed it and ended up with a dead phone not 2 long afterwards. I'm one of those guys. I had to have my motherboard replaced. You're good to go with just CWM.:D

Also, now is a good time to make a CWM backup.

Yeah ROM manager bad, ROM toolbox good lol

Upvote 0
schleima - cool you worked through it. I would "guess" that when you booted your phone and used it as a rooted stock rom it may have updated the stock over the air thus lost root. With recovery and clock work mod I agree, you don't need a rom manager. Also when you are flashing all those roms your are going to get dirty boots flashes etc. It's a good idea to wipe and reset each time.

Since my initial root of this marquee I did go and root my Galaxy S3 using TWRP instead of ClockworkMod for the experience. Have to say I am liking the touch interface on TWRP.

Upvote 0
schleima - cool you worked through it. I would "guess" that when you booted your phone and used it as a rooted stock rom it may have updated the stock over the air thus lost root. With recovery and clock work mod I agree, you don't need a rom manager. Also when you are flashing all those roms your are going to get dirty boots flashes etc. It's a good idea to wipe and reset each time.

Since my initial root of this marquee I did go and root my Galaxy S3 using TWRP instead of ClockworkMod for the experience. Have to say I am liking the touch interface on TWRP.

It's a bit nutty that our devices can send us into such collapsing spirals of insanity, isn't it?

I removed ROM Manager, installed ROM Toolbox (bought the Pro-- what the hell). Tried to make a new backup. Got the following message:
---------------------
ERROR!

Your version of Clockworkmod recovery requires ROM Manager. Also, ROM Manager Premium is required to perform a nandroid backup, install multiple ZIP files and more.

ROM Manager is not affiliated with ROM Toolbox. The developer of ROM Manager has decided to block all other apps from using Clockworkmod recovery to its full potential. Please understand we have no control over this and do our best to provide alternatives.

Please try to either install ROM Manager or flash TeamWin Recovery (TWRP) to gain access to this feature.
-------------------------

How rude!

So, flashing TWRP on the Marquee... according to their website, it's not officially supported. Are you saying you've flashed your Marquee successfully?

Reactions: roadclosed
Upvote 0
I
Your version of Clockworkmod recovery requires ROM Manager. Also, ROM Manager Premium is required to perform a nandroid backup, install multiple ZIP files and more.

Seems the first rule of Rom Club is ROM managers support specific Recovery Mods. I ran into that a couple times flashing around roms

EDIT

So, flashing TWRP on the Marquee... according to their website, it's not officially supported. Are you saying you've flashed your Marquee successfully?

NO STOP RIGHT THAR! - stick with only supported recovery mods. I haven't touched the marquee, it's very limited in what is supported. I used TWRP on another phone.

Upvote 0
Seems the first rule of Rom Club is ROM managers support specific Recovery Mods. I ran into that a couple times flashing around roms

EDIT

NO STOP RIGHT THAR! - stick with only supported recovery mods. I haven't touched the marquee, it's very limited in what is supported. I used TWRP on another phone.

Umm, speaking from experience with ROM Manager and the Marquee, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. I know of 2 people that had to send there phone in for motherboard replacement after messing with ROM Manager. I am one of those people. CWM works just fine for me. Nice and stable!! :D

Upvote 0
Just make sure that you've done everything you're supposed to do.... Windows enabler turn on and everything. It'll work. The timing is a pain in the butt but it'll work. Just about all of us that have root have done it the exact way as is described in this thread.

Yup im still at it up til now, but just asking did anybody else get that error message i got? is it on the timing? i have everything installed my phone is detected and everything but still not getting anywhere.

And another thing if i do get it correctly (the dreaded timing) what is it supposed to look like? Right after the LG logo is that when i should see the updating? Or after the Boost Logo?

Upvote 0
Woo finally got it all worked out... The issue I was having was i had a very old netbook running Windows 7 Home Premium the timing was really bad..

I tried:

Instatnly, 2 , 3 , 5 , 10 , 15 Secs yesterday...

Now its 4 AM a new day i tried again..

Instatly, 5 , 10...

And when all hope seems lost...

25 Secs... Then SW Updated Appeared... wow....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to know a few things..

1. Since i transfered my services i cant seem to send an international text even if i have that in the plan..

2. If i call up customer service and they say i need to do a factory reset will my Rooted zv4 turn back to just plain old annoying ZV4?

3. Almost same as 2 but if i do go ahead and install a custom rom and then do a factory reset will i just go back to the plain ZV4 again?

Im still new to these custom rom things the only custom rom i have is CleanROM for my Asus Tab...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones