root

Last Updated:

1. wndrshwzn

wndrshwzn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

who will root the evo and why?

Advertisement
  2. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I will root it if there are any modifications or patches I want that require root access. I don't really care one way or another if I have root access but I have no qualms about gaining root access if I need it to do something.

3. neodorian

edit: forum issues made this double post. Please delete.

Until then, here is a picture of a puppy.

[​IMG]

excav8ter and rdnckgurl like this.
  4. shadrap

shadrap Well-Known Member

I will root for free wifi tether. 10$-20$ adds up over time. Also, rooting gets rid of bloatware and makes the phone run overall faster with tweaks. My Hero compared to the incredible is only slightly slower opening apps, but is definitely slower browsing. Before rooting it was very frustrating, now it's good, but not great, hopefully the Evo will be great.

5. neodorian

Are you talking about rooting and then modifying or replacing the ROM? I have only a basic knowledge of the specifics of Android but on any *NIX I have played with, having root privileges doesn't lead to performance increase in and of itself.

Until I get my Evo and start learning first-hand, this is something I would love people to educate me on. Never hesitate to call BS or correct any misconceptions I might have.

mrk likes this.
  6. htc.EVOlution

htc.EVOlution Well-Known Member

Dutch54 likes this.
  7. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

That guide is so outdated it should be on display at the Smithsonian. You don't need to root anymore to install a custom ROM or tether. But if you think rooting will give you access to Sprint's mobile hotspot feature good luck with that.

There are like 3 other posts about rooting so I won't explain everything again for the third time just search for the other posts.

8. htc.EVOlution

why do you have to be so defensive? i just posted a link... if you know more, thats fine. if you don't have anything else ebtter to say, don't post

9. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

Not being defensive, just trying to correct every single root post on this forum so the many users who will think oh cool custom ROM let me go root my phone and open it up to dozens of security holes just so I can do something that can be done without rooting at all.

Rooting is not necessary anymore to install a custom ROM or tether. Encouraging new uninformed users to root their phones and open up a whole new ball of security holes on their devices which could easily contain sensitive information, that's why I chime in on these posts.

10. htc.EVOlution

well honestly, there are people who don't read any other section beyond the evo section. i don't own or driod or a driod incredible, i don't go into their section and read.

to be more informative perhaps you should post a link to the general rooting discussion or something of that sort

11. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

Already have, in the EVO section in fact.

EDIT: Here I'll do the work fr you:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/72079-evo-doesnt-need-root.html

12. htc.EVOlution

13. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

Disagreed about rooting? Care to share one post where someone says you need to obtain root to do anything you said? The latter argument in that post was about Sprint's 4G wifi hotspot app has nothing to do with anything you said in this post. WoW! Read it again...

14. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

I'll most definitely root because I want total control over my device and several root only programs are some of my favorites.

15. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

Anyway I've said my peace, only reason I even posted here was so new users were not compelled to root their phones because of outdated mis-information.

Ultimately it will be your phone not mine, as long as any misinformation for new users was corrected my goal here is done. Have fun with your Evo. Next time you may want to use the search feature though that thread I posted wasn't even the only one in the Evo forum.

16. shadrap

shadrap Well-Known Member

Yes, replacing with a ROM. Most ROM's are tweaked to be faster, remove bloatware, and to enjoy wifi tether. I am no expert, but can tell a big difference in how well my fresh 2.1 ROM runs, compared to stock 1.5

17. talz13

talz13 Well-Known Member

I'll probably just root it to root it. I don't feel like having limitations on my device (jailbroken ipod touch, custom roms on touch pro, etc.), whether real or imaginary.

18. neodorian

I believe that. After two WM phones and my Pre, there are definitely some gains to be had via third party ROMs and patches. My WM phones were always running either my own custom ROM or one of the many on PPCGeeks/XDA and my Pre is a lot smoother after a few kernel tweaks done via command line.

The manufacturers do what they can to put out the experience they want and balance that with performance but it's not always exactly what works for me. I like being able to tweak what gets loaded and what is included in ROM. Hell, even on any Windows system I get hold of one of the first things I do is run msconfig and disable unnecessary services from running at startup.

These things are ours to do with as we want :) I know what it's like to work for people who may want one feature or another to be included and I can understand that. Still, that doesn't stop me from taking the few minutes needed to search for ways I can optimize systems for my specific uses.

19. talz13

talz13 Well-Known Member

Oh, and did they fix being able to store apps on the SD card yet?

20. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

LatinP, How do you install eclair on a G1 without rooting? Just curious.

21. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

Titanium Backup, Wifi Tether, QuickBoot, etc. I could go on and on about all of the root required apps.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

22. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Since when do you not need to root install a custom ROM.....

23. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

thats what im trying to figure out. If i can install eclair on a g1 without rooting, that would be fantastic. I have my g1 rooted, but there are some other issues that i am having, and if its easier than the method where you root first, then that's awesome.

24. slimboutit

slimboutit Well-Known Member

As far as I know you cannot run a custom ROM without root, what you can do is run the leaked 2.1 RUU from sprint if you have the hero without rooting, but that has root anyway. You can get 2.1, but that isn't exactly a custom ROM and it's signed with test keys so you're gonna need workarounds and patches for some things like not getting protected apps.

25. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

um i dont think he was thinkin about custom romz i think he was talkin about updates like that the hero has yet to see