Rooted 2.1, If I do the official sprint update will it take me back to stock?

Last Updated:

1. Firemans Wife

Firemans Wife Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am rooted and running Fresh. I need to exchange my phone because the mini usb slot on the phone is cracking off. If I do the official 2.1 update will it take me back to stock? I'm sure this is a repeat but I looked for an hour for the answer with no such luck. Thanks and sorry for the dup!

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Yes, just download the RUU from the sprint site then run the program and youll be fully stock.

Firemans Wife likes this.
  3. Guitardoc64

Guitardoc64 Well-Known Member

Yup, thats what I had to do last week. For the same reason. I'm hoping this isn't an indication of hardware issues...

4. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

Interesting question. Could you be a little more specific about the download from Sprint? Would we even need to go to the Sprint site or could we just do the OTA update using the update section in the phone?

If that is not possible then do we download the software from the Sprint site and then run it on the phone through the Nandroid start up? This is very useful information but you can tell I'm a little lost on the terms of "RUU" and that kind of thing. A few more details would be most helpful.

All help is greatly appreciated.....

Thanks so much.

Lisa

5. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

You can't do this via the OTA. It has to be done from the Sprint website (or another "mirror" website) There were some links here in this fourm when 2.1 was first released. You download the file to your computer, and it is installed on your phone via the cable plugged into your computer. This will take your Hero back to "stock" if you are rooted.

6. mslisaj

Okay, I believe I get it now. I download the file to the root of the SD Card and then through the Nandroid boot run the file and install it and I'm back to the beginning...........

My phone is running perfectly with DC's 2.09.1 and I'm going to stay here but if the phone should need some warranty of stuff like that it's nice to know it's that easy to get back to stock and make Sprint happy.

I find it amazing that Sprint and Apple for that matter play these games with their phones as it's that easy to get them back if they need hardware warranty work. If your clever enough to root and enjoy those benefits then you are clever enough to get back to stock if you need too. With that court decision yesterday with Apple and the Iphone and "Jailbreaking" the Iphone I thought this issue was all over. But after reading about it today it seems it's not illegal to "jailbreak" your phone but the suppliers can void the warranty themselves. A lot of games but I have said it before, I'm not going back to stock and locked unless I have to turn the phone in for warranty................

Thanks for the help as usual and the clarification on going back.

Lisa :)

7. JB in AZ

No, actually, you download the file to your computer, then connect it to the phone via cable, and run the file from your computer.

8. mslisaj

So you would install it from a command line on your computer the same way the root process was accomplished then? I would have to dig out the root manual and follow the instructions to get the command line and then install it that way? I believe I have the stock 1.6 RUU in my Nandroid backup folder. I remember that is was important to save it there when I rooted. But I guess I was wrong to assume that I would run it from Nandroid. I don't do enough of this stuff to get familiar with the process so I'm glad I don't need it now but it is something I should read up on just in case..................

Lisa

9. JB in AZ

No, sorry again for not explaining it better. You just double click on the file after you downloaded it to yor computer, and it self installs, just like any other computer program, only this installs to your phone via the cable.

Maybe this will help--> Instructions

10. mslisaj

So it's that simple? I download it to a folder on my laptop. The same laptop that I rooted with so it has the files to run the .apk's with. So I just click on the file in this folder and it will know to self install on the Hero. Too simple if you ask me but I want to make sure I stash it away from anywhere I may accidentally click on it. So the reason the 1.6 RUU is stored on the Hero as it's just a universal place to save it? I just wish I did more of the playing with the phone so I would learn all this stuff but thanks to the help here you guys keep me out of trouble............

Lisa

11. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Yup, just download the ruu program, make sure you also have HTC sync. Once downloaded, you just double click to run the installer. Post back with your results, good luck.

12. mslisaj

Well I don't have HTC sync running on my computer. Just couldn't get it to finish loading. So I installed PDAnet and am using their drivers to run Pocket Mirror and I sync with that. So I probably don't have a self running install program on my computer for Android. But I'll do some research and figure out how to do it. But as of right now I'm staying with DC 2.09.1 and it works well for me. I was saying in this thread this was some interesting information if I had a hardware problem in the next six months and needed some warranty repair. Then I would have to go back to stock and take my phone in. At least I know how the game is played now.........

Thanks much.......

Lisa