Rooted 2.2! Just to clear up a few things...

Last Updated:

1. dannyinterwebz

dannyinterwebz Member This Topic's Starter

I'm happy to say that after a bunch of reading and preparation, I rooted my phone through the 2.2 method on the XDA site. I still just have a couple of questions about rooting though, and about that method in particular. Sorry for the jumbled and unorganized order.

Following the instructions blindly, I don't think I understood a few things. Did I just unlock the nand in 2.1, then flash a rooted 2.2 ROM onto my phone?

When you install a ROM, does that include the kernal, radio, etc. with it? Because after doing the rooted 2.2 process with everything stock and rooted, I installed a custom netarchy-toasted kernal. However, I don't remember installing a stock kernal when flashing 2.2. If I choose to install a different ROM, will the kernal be replaced as well?

Assuming hboot is the white screen with the skateboarding androids, is hboot installed by default on android phones, but only accessible with an unlocked nand? I also don't understand the difference between hboot and recovery. I was initially under the impression that the white skating android screen WAS recovery, but then I discovered the clockwork recovery mods.

Sorry for all the questions, I just have an obsessive urge to be completely familiar with all aspects of something before I really tinker with it.

Bless whoever makes the effort to respond to all of this!

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Monkey

Mr. Monkey Well-Known Member

I'll answer what I can :)

Yup, that's exactly what you did.

From what I understand, ROMs come with a kernel that flashes (normally just the stock one) but from there you can flash a different one over it. So after flashing any ROM you dont have to flash a custom kernel, but you can.

HBOOT is installed on all EVO phones. You can get to it even from a non-rooted phone. Clockwork is a custom recovery. So before you rooted if you had gone to HBOOT and selected recovery it would have booted you into a recovery that has a phone with a red /!\ exclamation point. That is the original recovery, but it doesnt let you do anything like Clockwork does.

I hope you enjoy your rooted EVO. You'll never go back to stock once you've tasted a rooted froyo :)

GirlGoneGeek likes this.
  3. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

No, check to make sure you have the latest radios and flash those separately.