Rooted 2.2 update w/UnrEVOked3, I think....

Last Updated:

1. williamhereford

williamhereford Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I am pretty sure I was able to update and keep root. I say pretty sure because I am a novice and my only way to confirm was opening Wifi tether and TI Backup (which I just downloaded)both opened with the SU permissions Y/N screen and with a Y did their thing. No Internet with Wifi Tether though. Not sure if this is a root thing or an app in need of an update.

So What I did was got these guys here:

HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

1:I first put the 4g zip on my SD. I dragged it over to the top level. ejected USB let it "format SD" then turned off the phone. Powered it up W/ volume down giving boot menu.

1a:In the white screen Volume down to Recovery. Hit Power button.

2: In the Black ClockworkMod screen volume down to install zip from SD, Select this. it will bring up a new set of options.
    3:Volume down to Choose zip from SD, power button to select.
    4:volume down through all the no's to
    Yes - Install______.zip (this zip will be either the 4g, or radio one) hit the power button to select.
    5:Let it run you will see some text over the android jumping out of the box. Then at the bottom of text it will say reboot.
    6: Volume button to the option to go back a menu (or main menu I forgot to write it down)
    7: toggle volume to Reboot and tap the power button to select.

the Phone will do its normal power up. Load onto your SD the other radio/4g zip. Repeat the previous steps.

once this is done Simply rename that long Froyo file name to update. remember that if you type .zip (w/ extensions hidden) it will repeat it on the card and not work.

This time at step 2 just select load/install update.zip

As far as I can tell I still have root. I am unable to get Wifi tether to access internet, but TI backup seems to work. And both apps presented me with the "superuser permission?" Y/N screen.

Advertisement
  2. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Well-Known Member

Your post is confusing. Unrevoked3 is a simple form of Root. The Froyo 2.2 you updated is a full root (says so right on the file). So no you don't have unrevoked but yes it is fully rooted.

3. tpbklake

tpbklake Well-Known Member

You are correct. Since you were already rooted on 1.47 with unrevoked 3 and loaded a rooted version of 3.26 using ClockworkMod, you are still rooted.

You can get wifi working since you are rooted by flashing a kernel mod by netarchy-toastmod.

Regards,

Tom

4. williamhereford

Well happy day! And thanks for being patient with a newbie. I will hunt that kernel down now. I feel a bit like a dunce then, both for the post and also for probably erroneously factory resetting all my goods away. I guess this will be chalked up to the learning curve of Android. I have to admit this is all still a bit more fun than waiting for the next big update on my old iPhone.

5. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

a bit more fun? a TON more fun! see the noob thread on how to backup stuff :)

6. DucatiDude

DucatiDude Well-Known Member

Did you find that kernel? My WiFi is dead.

7. williamhereford

8. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

9. DucatiDude

DucatiDude Well-Known Member