• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted - Acer Iconia Tab A500 HC v3.2.1

I have a noob question. If I root my Acer, can I 'unroot' it later? Basically can I restore it to factory settings?

I decided to give Best Buy's "Buypack" program a go and intend to turn this puppy in sometime in the fall but of course I'd want to have it 'reset' before I did that.

I'd love to nuke some of these pointless apps from the thing.

Also do you think we'll manage to get Honeycomb 3.1 on a rooted system before an official upgrade arrives?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this whole scene.

Hi,

Yea... you just hit the unroot button on the Gingerbreak app.

cheers :)

Upvote 0
Hello,
Does freezing free-up more of the ROM?
Thank you,
TJ

Added:
Adfree
Root Explorer
Exchange Active Sync

Added Functions:
Wifi Tether -> Xperia Arc
NTFS support

Backup:
boot.img
recovery.img

Uninstalled:
Docs To Go - bloatware (using Google Docs)
AUPEO! - bloatware (don't listen to radio)
LumiRead - bloatware (using Aldiko)
clear.fi - bloatware (rubbish app)

Freeze: (Resource/Batt hoggers)
AcerSync
Photo Browser 3D
Media Server
My Location
SocialJogger
TegraZone Games
Top HD Games

I have regained 25% battery life each charge cycle...

and... did a whole bunch of stuff that I cannot mention because it might incriminate me :)

Upvote 0
I need to unroot my acer A500, but when i will start Gingerbreak, it will not start...helppppp..the application has stopt!....:thinking:

did you follow the steps?
1. Activated unknown sources
2. Activated debugging
3. Set the tablet in portrait mode and lock it
4. Downloaded, installed and ran the 1.20 apk
5. Then hit <Unroot> button

Upvote 0
2. Activated debugging
4. Downloaded, installed and ran the 1.20 apk
5. Then hit <Unroot> button

I unrooted my A500 yesterday. It was the last day of my 14 day BB return period and I wanted to try it before time ran out. Also I did it in anticipation of the upcoming 3.1 update.

The unroot process using the above steps worked perfectly. I will not hesitate to re-root post 3.1 update if the Dev's adapt this same root process for the new Honeycomb.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm being obtuse, but why would you need to root the Iconia to tether it to a phone via Wifi? I get that you may need to root the PHONE, but my Iconia connects right up to my Droid X via Wifi perfectly, and neither are rooted.

It's lucky for u tht can can connect ur Iconia using Droid X tether
Mine did not work when i tried to connect mybIconia to my Iphone WiFi tether

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm being obtuse, but why would you need to root the Iconia to tether it to a phone via Wifi? I get that you may need to root the PHONE, but my Iconia connects right up to my Droid X via Wifi perfectly, and neither are rooted.

Yeah, with my DINC wifi tether, i was able to get it to work without being rooted (i rooted later though so i could have NTFS support)

Upvote 0
I had mine rooted but after seeing that you cant really do anything with rooting other than freezing some apps and after I ad some trouble after that last update I decided to unroot it and restore back to factory specs. It is back to normal again and I really don't notice that much of a bloat in applications this way. So IMO it's better just to leave it as it is. Anyway My droid ins is rooted and works great as a wireless tether.

Upvote 0
Hi,

XDA-Developers did it. Rooted my Iconia Tab A500, now rocking and rolling the way Android was intended...

Super easy!

dsc0009et.jpg

Reference:
How To Root An Acer Iconia Tab A500

P/s sorry... mentioned the wrong version.

My question is I bought the Acer Iconia a 500. 3.0.1. Already updated. I used the link and downloaded the gingerbreak from tablet. Executed the file then did root option. Said should take a few minutes then reboot. Well I sit there waiting for it to root but says executing exploit but nothing happens
Does this process take more than 2 minutes and I am not waiting long enough
I read some other rooting instructions and said gingerbreak had to be pushed to local bin. From adw connected to PC. Maybe I have a setting wrong?
In this thread I read where someone just downloaded from tablet and executed gingerbreak then rooted. Help would be appreciated

Upvote 0
My question is I bought the Acer Iconia a 500. 3.0.1. Already updated. I used the link and downloaded the gingerbreak from tablet. Executed the file then did root option. Said should take a few minutes then reboot. Well I sit there waiting for it to root but says executing exploit but nothing happens
Does this process take more than 2 minutes and I am not waiting long enough
I read some other rooting instructions and said gingerbreak had to be pushed to local bin. From adw connected to PC. Maybe I have a setting wrong?
In this thread I read where someone just downloaded from tablet and executed gingerbreak then rooted. Help would be appreciated

Hi,

2. Activated debugging
4. Downloaded, installed the gingerbreak apk (using Astro) and ran the gingerbreak 1.20 app

Upvote 0
Hi,

2. Activated debugging
4. Downloaded, installed the gingerbreak apk (using Astro) and ran the gingerbreak 1.20 app

lol I am new to tablets. And didn't have a SD card inserted. I fixed the issue and rooted but ill wait to remove any apps. I really don't see any reason to remove any apps anyways. Everything seems to be running smooth and battery is lasting very long. Also doesn't that make the updater not work if you remove apps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link and info! Just a cople noob questions before I decide to root my acer tab: are there any things I should steer clear of doing once I root my device to make sure I don't frack it up, what are the first things I should do once I root it, will I be able to update to 3.1 when it comes out, or if not what is the best Custom firmware available right now?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones