Rooted and Bugless beast OC'ed. A few questions

Last Updated:

1. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got Beast 7.2 running well!!!

But I'll be honest.......with 950Mhz......I'm not seeing the huge speed boost I thought I'd be seeing. I sense that things are faster.......but I've never been disappointed by the stock droid's speed. My benchmarking numbers on Set CPU are around the 214-270ms mark

But I do have a couple of questions....

1) If Beast is everything Beauty is PLUS overclocking and wifi tether....why would you want Beauty?

2) Set CPU: I have profiles enabled: Do I need to check 'set on boot'? What does that mean?

3) Now that I have apps like terminal Emulator and Set CPu etc...do thye need to be on the Advanced Task Manager Exclude list?...or do they run invisible to ATK?

4) I see people tracking CPU temperature. What is the best way to do this? Is this ab app?..or is it reported somewhere?

5) I might be really late at figuring this out.....but what is the best way to manage memory? I have only about 30-40 apps......but I feel like my memory is really low......I think I saw something that mentioned I only have 40MB left!!!! Where is the best place to tell you which apps are using up memory? Everything I see says that my apps are only of the order of kb...not MB.

6) Also!!! Bugless Beast contains busybox. Thus far I have not had to use it. What is it? I read a lot about using busybox but I don't know how or what and I didn't seem to need it....and everything is working fine....I think :)

Thanks!!!!!!

Advertisement
  2. andross77

andross77 Well-Known Member

1) I have the same question. I'm on Beast 0.7.2 right now. Works great.
    2) I don't know either. I tested whether the phone changes speeds by just moving the sliders and backing out of the program and it definitely does. You may want to just check that box, restart phone and then go back in and uncheck it. I did that but don't think it's a big deal.
    3) Don't know. I've read enough threads that tell me that Linux will shut stuff down automatically that i don't have any task manager installed at the moment.
    4) Do a search for Temp Monitor. Don't know about this forums rules for linking. It is the best one. You can also get the coolfish battery widget off the market which will give you temps but that's for the battery and not the cpu.
    5) Systray Monitor app from market is the best i found. You can put it in your status bar and have the available ram displayed at all times.
    6) I think busy box is for programmers and people that are going to hack their phones hardcore. I am rooted, overclocked to 1.1ghz, have BB 0.7.2 custome ROM, and use SH2 as my home replacement and have never needed busybox. I don't care to start fiddling around with lines of code. I also never needed to use ADB shell (only Terminal Emulator) because of the availability of nandroid backups.

3. Bxrider11

Bxrider11 Well-Known Member

I just loaded Bugless BEast this morning. I see a slight difference in speed, but I have only had it loaded for about an hour.

I chose Beast for the overcooking. I do not use tethering at all, but it is good to have the option. I think those that chose Beast over Beauty is to get the most out of their Droid.

I have the box checked for set on boot. I do not know if it matters or not. I have had it set that way since loading V7.1.

I have ATK loaded on my phone, but I very seldom use it to kill an apps cause the phone does it on its own.

I use an app called Sensor List. Got it from the market. I can not remember if it is free or paid for.

I manage my cache on my apps but going to setting, manage apps and then I hit the menu key and sort the apps in order of size. I then go through the larger ones and clear the cache, if there is any and that helps with memory. You internet holds a lot of memory of past searches, especially if you use Dolphin Browser IMO.

4. magnus

Thank you both!!!!!!

That's exactly what I wanted to know

5. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

Beast is one of the fastest custom roms out there (imho). I see the speed in little things like how quickly apps load or when using xScope Browser and going to non-mobile websites, the pages load quicker - the download speed is unchanged, but the rendering is quicker. Also when you flick through the apps drawer it is blazingly fast. But for me the main this is how smooth it is. All scrolling is no smooth and snappy. It is the way I thought the phone would be when I bought it.

6. magnus

A few users are actually posting battery life increases. Is this placebo (downclocking the cpu to 125 for sleep etc.)

I'm thinking my battery life has taken a 10-15% hit. What about you guys?

7. Geezer Squid

Well, this isn't based on analytical data but my empirical data strongly suggests that I am getting better battery life with Beast and an aggressive Setcpu profile. I've been off charger for 7.5 hours today and have used Droid fairly heavy and I'm at 80%. Fairly heavy today means phone calls, emails some surfing and a little GPS (half hour walk using Cardio Trainer). Seat of the pants (and my seat is hardly ever wrong) says battery life is better. If it isn't better, it is at least as good as.

8. andross77

andross77 Well-Known Member

yeah right now my battery has taken a huge hit. but i'm clocked at 1.1ghz and playing with my phone all day long now with sweeterhome 2. once things settle down and i start using it like a normal phone i think my battery would be able the same. it's just great to have the options. if i want to lock my phone at 550mhz to save battery, i can. if i'm impatient and want to blast through apps and web pages at faster than Nexus One speeds, i can.

Now that i've tasted the forbidden fruit, i can never go back....

9. Icedemon

Icedemon Well-Known Member

Put the phone back to 550 and go into the camera. See how long it takes to open and then take a pic and see how long it takes to get back to taking another pic. Now do the same with 950 and you'll all see a BIG difference. It's almost instant when overclocked. Even those 3 clicks you here are faster when opening the camera app.

10. jdldf

jdldf Active Member

I have a couple questions in reference to Bugless beast. I flashed the rom yesterday and it was working excellent.Everything was clicking. This morning I recieved a text I was using handcent and my phone rebooted itself. When it rebooted I had my wife send me another text and it did the same thing. No problem I thought I just uninstalled the handcent and reinstalled it and made my stock messenger the default. About an hour later I am on a call and I get another call not important so I let it go to voicemail. As I get the notification the phone reboots this time it continued to reboot itself. I was forced to do a nandroid restore. Great phones working quick, however now I do not have the 2.1 keyboard that came with Pete''s rom. It did keep some things like the theme,gallery, music. Do I have to reflash the rom ? Or is that keyboard somewhere within the sdcard?

11. Geezer Squid

Did you flash the most recent Beast? AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast [950MHz & Wifi] V0.7.3 (2/2/10)

On this page he references (Fixed:
    -Issues with Handcent SMS, Droid Root Helper, & other apps) You may need to reflash with file on this page.

12. jdldf

jdldf Active Member

Geezer I flashed the one from 2.1. Do you flash right over the other rom? I heard of people going right over the older version and what about uninstalling apks and opex files whats that about?

13. Geezer Squid

Pete updated the Beast on 2/2.

I do flash right over the old one. On my computer, I rename the old update.zip to something like update7.2 950.zip. I then download the new update.zip and put it on the SC card and the follow the instructions.

IMO, you need to flash the new one and you can ignore the stuff about uninstalling apks and that other stuff.

14. jdldf

jdldf Active Member

A little off the subject but related to reflashing is I had the widget with Bluetooth,GPS, Brightness, Wifi, do you know the one? I lost it when I restored. Do you know which one it is. I am going through the market and cannot find the one. There are many but this one has all of them on one strip. Thanks man.

15. Geezer Squid

Don't know for sure, but could it be the Quick Settings (has a gear looking icon)?

16. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Had the reboot problem when I was in any program for more than 5 seconds.
    I had to nandroid back to 7.2 instead of 7.3.
    If 7.2 is up, I would recommend doing that.