Rooted and thinking about flashing a ROM

Last Updated:

1. benjiharris

benjiharris Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago, I rooted my phone using Unrevoked just so I could use apps which require root. I did not flash a ROM.
    But I've been thinking recently that I may want to put a custom ROM on. So now that I'm rooted already, can I go right ahead and just put a ROM on my SDcard and boot into recovery and flash the update.zip?
    Also, I was just reading some root-guides, and therefore bootloaders 0.73 or 0.83. I just checked mine and its 0.93. Will this affect what I will need to do at all?

Thanks for your help in advance

Advertisement
  2. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

Find one of danfrance's posts and read the rooting FAQ in his sig (and the thread the follows).

Short answer: can't comment on bootloader version, but otherwise yes. However, there are a couple of other things to do before flashing the zip:

* Take backups: nandroid in case something goes wrong, titanium if you want to transfer apps and data. MyBackup can be used for backing up SMS, call logs.

* Depending on what the ROM is, you may need to do a full wipe before flashing. If it's a relatively uncustomised rooted Froyo (and you are coming from Froyo in the first place) you'll probably be OK without. A more customised Sense ROM might be OK, but if it doesn't work be prepared to wipe and try again (hence the backups of your data before flashing). If it's a non-Sense ROM, such as cyanogen or DeFrost, then you definately want to wipe first.

* If you cannot get it to boot even after wiping before flashing, you can get your old system back via clockwork recovery (the nandroid restore). That's why you must take a nandroid backup before trying this.

I've been painting the problems above, but it's generally not that problematic provided you do the research and know the procedures before trying it. Hence the thread recommendation at the start.

Welcome aboard :)